Author Topic: Starting Higher Level Character Gear?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Starting Higher Level Character Gear?
« on: March 05, 2017, 02:08:36 PM »
So, if you started a group above level 1, are there any rules/guidelines for how much money and gear they get to start with? I don't remember anything specific in the companions. I know Dark Space has some tables, but weirdly one thing missing is how much cash a high level character might have (since many items can be purchased).

Where there/are there any guidelines out there and if not, how do people handle that sort of stuff?

Since I don't recall RM having a thorough economic section, it's kind of hard to just wag it.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Starting Higher Level Character Gear?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »
As far as I'm concerned that depends totally on your setting. I tried to avoid starting characters above level one, but from time to time we'd have to bring in a player with a higher level character for one reason or another. Then I'd look at the party gear (armor, weapons, and so on) and extrapolate from there. I also tend to run relatively gritty, low magic games so it's easier to do this.

Usually, though, a character under fifth level would start with a couple of good weapons (nothing more than +5 or +10 from any source), good armor, maybe a 2xPP multiplier or spell adder if they were a caster of some kind, and assorted adventuring gear. As for money, I'd take standard staring and multiply it by their intended level (don't want them starting too rich). Of course there was always stuff from background options and the like, too.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 10:43:59 AM »
So are there no actual rules then?

I don't have a problem giving out some stuff randomly but I was hoping RM had some specific guidelines.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 10:54:05 AM »
We routinely start players at level 5 in pretty much all of our campaigns.  It gives the spell users a chance to develop a little better.  We allow pretty much every secondary skill in RM2 so it gives players a chance to purchase more of those skills to better flesh out their PC.  There are several other reasons we did this, but it was the "norm" for us. 

We treated them as level 1 PCs as far as starting Gold and equipment.  The rationale was simple.  The PC waited until this time to start adventuring and this is what they have.  Background options allowed them an opportunity to roll for a nice +5 to +25 item, or more gold. or spell adders, etc. but at level 5, they can challenge tougher opponents and get better rewards so it was never an issue and never a need to increase what they started with (for us).
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 01:49:01 PM »

I don't have a problem giving out some stuff randomly but I was hoping RM had some specific guidelines.

Tables in Lords of Middle Earth Vol 1 has the table you seek.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 03:58:25 AM »

Tables in Lords of Middle Earth Vol 1 has the table you seek.
Lol! You know I've owned that book for years and I don't remember ever looking at those tables! Thanks.

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 05:10:35 AM »
Deside the item power lvl in your campaign, and give your players and idea about it.
Low power lvl item will on higher lvls give problems on what monsters can be thrown in!
A low item power lvl will die fast when they have no bonuses to magic DB/RR and no magic or maybe mithril + weapons!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Nightblade42

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 02:56:19 PM »
RoCo III has a whole section on items for higher level characters.  I generally use it for creating NPCs, but you could use it (with or without modifications) for PCs.

Nightblade ->--