Author Topic: ERA on raspberry pi  (Read 1904 times)

Offline allanon74

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA on raspberry pi
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:33:42 AM »
Hey. I tried to install ERA on a raspberry pi - Raspbian, but I encountered a strange error when I launch Era-server (syntax error, word unexpected, (expecting ")").

Somebody could help me?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA on raspberry pi
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 07:10:22 AM »
The truth is a Raspberry architecture is not necessarily compatible with the Linux version of ERA. You would need a separate version, with different files in it.

Anyway, you got me intrigued. I will borrow a Raspberry from a friend and see how hard it would be to make a version for it.

Watch this thread for news!

Offline allanon74

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 07:51:39 PM »
Maybe the files must be compiled for ARM processor?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »
Good news. It is totally doable.
Even better news: I might have a download ready for anyone interested by the end of this week.

Also, it will include a --headless option to run without X/UI.

I don't think a Raspberry version of ERA would have a big enough audience to justify adding it to the base package on RPGNow, but I could assist anyone interested in keeping it up to date as newer versions of ERA are released.

Imagine this: now you will be able to carry ERA in your pocket. If you get a Raspberry with WiFi, you could configure it to start ERA as a service as soon as it's plugged in. So, instant character creation and adventuring available to anyone in your local network, just by plugging a pocket watch sized computer. If only there were hundreds of people needing this tech...   ???

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 08:39:45 PM »
Ok, let's try this out.
Go to
https://goo.gl/rbrxFT
and download the ERA Rasperry Pi application.

This should work just like the linux version (you run ./ERA-RMC or ./ERA-RMFRP).
You can also add the --headless parameter to start it without an X interface.

Let me know how it goes.
I'm interested in the speed of the server, and also please confirm if you can install any packages you have purchased.

Thanks for pushing the limits of ERA!

Offline allanon74

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »
It seems that all works well... Installation of packages, import of characters.... In the next days I will have a game session, so I will test the speed.

Thanks a lot!

Offline allanon74

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 06:34:17 PM »
heey Voriig, it's possible to have the new version compiled for the raspberry pi?
thanks in advance!

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 08:25:54 PM »
it's possible to have the new version compiled for the raspberry pi?

I'll let you in a little secret... when I released the latest version (back in August) I also updated the link in this very thread, so you just need to download it again and then overwrite the previous installation.

As long as I don't forget about it, I intend to keep the link up to date for any new version. Keep in mind that I don't own a Raspberry, so you need to let me know if it breaks at any point.

Offline allanon74

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 08:07:32 PM »
ok thanks!!!