Author Topic: Core rule question about spell casting from items.  (Read 971 times)

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Core rule question about spell casting from items.
« on: July 26, 2017, 02:11:41 PM »
If a lvl 1 spell user wanna cast a lvl 10 spell or any spell above his own lvl from an item.
Then he has to roll ESF for the lvl difference right?
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Core rule question about spell casting from items.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 12:15:36 AM »
I wouldn't think an ESF roll would be required to use an item, unless the item is specifically giving you the ability to cast just as if you had learned the spell normally.

As I recall, you would need to make a staves/wands or runes roll though, if the spell is of a different realm or a higher level.

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 03:42:52 AM »
Checking the actual rules on runes and staves/wands skill, my recollection was correct -- if the spell is above the character's level, this means they have to make a manoeuvre every time they activate the item, even after an initial successful check.

The manoeuvre roll is already modified by a penalty equal to the spell level; I don't see any reason to also call for an ESF check.

The rules indicate that "normal spell failure chances apply". I'd read this to imply the normal base 2% chance, or higher for attack spells. You could interpret this to mean that you should apply ESF, but this makes item use considerably less useful and doesn't feel to me like the intended interpretation.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 12:15:04 PM »
Additionally, the spell's level of effect is equal to the spell's level, implying strongly that the spell is cast by a caster of a level equal to its own, meaning the item itself, considering to be such a caster, rather than the item's user.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.