Author Topic: Martial Arts Styles & Weapon Kata: Attacks limited to max. result?  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Hi, I thought about creating a Martial Artist according to the rules in the MAC. If the MA Style I choose contains a maximum MA rank of 3 (in whatever type of MA attack) and the character uses the Weapon Kata, e.g. a broadsword, associated with the style, would that attack then be limited to a maximum result of 135 on the broadsword attack table, just like an unarmed attack with the style would be? I tend to say no, it uses the table normally, with a max. attack of 150, but I'd like to hear other opinion.

Offline juza

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Martial Arts Styles & Weapon Kata: Attacks limited to max. result?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 01:41:44 AM »
MAC is the best companion for rolemaster to me, I've read it several times and I've never read in it something about limiting the maximum result in a weapon attack. Use the normal attack rules while attacking with a weapon using the martial arts style.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 12:06:08 PM »
Like Juza, I read it as not applying any maximum result when using a weapon kata. Weapon katas do require that you have the MA skill at rank 2 (3 for two-handed weapons) as part of the style (pg44), so you can't take advantage of this to pack a bunch of katas (or a kata plus a bunch of other benefits) into a style with only rank 1 martial arts.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 04:27:36 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation.