Author Topic: Is your campaign set in Shadow World or somewhere else?  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Is your campaign set in Shadow World or somewhere else?
« on: September 12, 2017, 04:27:16 AM »
Is your campaign set in Shadow World or somewhere else?

I have the Emer boxed set and Jaiman module but have opted for my own campaign world.

What setting do other GM's use?

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Is your campaign set in Shadow World or somewhere else?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 06:59:24 AM »
I have my own campaign world that we started way back in college.  Since then, the Shadoworld modules came out and I've added elements of those books into my world.  Quellbourne is one of my favorites.  I can't wait to get the Green Gryphon Inn into my world as well.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 12:15:20 PM »
I tried SW, but neither my group nor I cared for it especially. I started with Greyhawk and then did my own setting, which I've been using for something like 20 years now.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 01:58:43 PM »
I tried SW, but neither my group nor I cared for it especially. I started with Greyhawk and then did my own setting, which I've been using for something like 20 years now.
I did the same. the post technology setting wasnt to my tastes in the end. i gave it a go and then ended up creating my own stuff. i centreded everything around Sanctuary, Thieves World which is small enough but detailed enough to provide a wealth of adventures without ever leaving the city. I am planning to launch a more epic campaign using Sanctuary as the springboard, this has been 4 years in the making :)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 02:00:33 PM »
I have my own campaign world that we started way back in college.  Since then, the Shadoworld modules came out and I've added elements of those books into my world.  Quellbourne is one of my favorites.  I can't wait to get the Green Gryphon Inn into my world as well.

i have done the same. i have Quellbourne i think... or was it Jaiman? i have set a campaign in the Cloudlords of Tanara setting which was quit good but i think as ive agedi prefer to create my own stuff, its just easier to grasp the details without having to study up on an unfamiliar setting.

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 03:32:37 PM »
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Shadow World.  There is no other setting that has as much material and detail.  And its the layers in the game that allow the campaign to be run in a variety of ways.  The whole tech bit can be completely ignored.  Almost no one understands or realizes the real history of Kulthea - so really its played as a traditional fantasy setting.  You could just run the campaign as a traditional setting.  Tons of continents and settings.  Plenty of political aspects if you want.  If your characters want to get into the big issues of the world that involve people from its past, the Void, Dragon Lords, etc. it can.  But you don't really have to.

Mal

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 04:33:02 AM »
Agreed.
I had my players run through long campaigns where I combined Jaiman, Tales, Quellbourne, Curse(which technically doesn't count, heh), and especially the Norek books mixed in with old T$R/Wizards Dungeon Mag adventures - plopping them into whatever mini towns I wanted.

Later, I went with more material from Kenzer and their 3.5 campaign info, but definitely miss further old school SW formatted adventures.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 05:23:45 AM »
We're still using Middle-Earth as our campaign world.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 02:10:36 PM »

very cool. such a rich setting. I am from NZ so this LOTR holds a special place in my heart ;) I visited the Hobbiton set last summer! very cool and highly recommended if ur ever in NZ. hard to get hold of the old ME rulebooks and modules now. i loved how the modules atdded to the detail of each region and give details of famous cultures in the game. did they release a revised version or two? i played 30yrs ago so im very out of the loop.

Offline MrApollinax

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 03:52:29 PM »
I use my own setting, which is now - gulp - 25 years old. The campaigns have covered different millennia. At the moment, the players are negotiating a set of problems ultimately rooted in the actions of their characters in a previous campaign, 1200 years earlier.
Author, HARP Garden of Rain.
Tales of the New Kingdoms (blog)

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 01:46:50 AM »
I set my game in the forgotten realms.

My players cut their teeth in D&D and they like the old fashioned feel.

I do have to sanitize much of the published material to make it fit my vision though.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 02:15:48 AM »

very cool. such a rich setting. I am from NZ so this LOTR holds a special place in my heart ;) ... i loved how the modules atdded to the detail of each region and give details of famous cultures in the game. did they release a revised version or two? i played 30yrs ago so im very out of the loop.
We're using the old MERP stuff and that hasn't seen any new publication since the end of the first ICE.