Author Topic: What is the coolest adventure you have ever been involved in as a GM & as a PC?  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
What is the coolest adventure you have ever been involved in as a GM and as a PC?

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
As a GM I based a series of adventures around the ICE module Nomads of the Nine Nations. The party where involved in a pre-adventure to this where they had to rescue a powerful shaman from the spirit world. His should had been imprisoned there by an evil shaman from another tribe. The hook for the party was the captured shaman was an uncle of a pc, who was a young shaman himself. The other pcs' were members of allied tribes who had been sent to complete the task. To enter the spirit world the party drank from the Cup of Dreams which contained a poison that placed them into a coma. A trusted NPC was left to guard their bodies while they entered the spirit world. When they arrived in the spirit world reality was warped. I asked each player to write down a brief idea of what they thought they looked like in the spirit world. They each transformed into a more powerful version of themselves. One had dragon scale armour, one was a knight in full plate and the shaman apprentice was several levels higher.

In a later adventure, with one of the same players the Nine Nomad tribes were at war and some of them had employed the use of dark magic to create an army of 50 werewolves from their own tribesman. These creatures were unharmed by normal weapons and virtually invincible in battle. A few of the tribes had been wiped out in a battle versus the lycanthrope army. The party had to locate a secret armoury which contained enough silver weapons to equip their own tribes in an epic battle. The party found the armoury, gathered up the silver weapons and hurried them to the leader of one of the major tribes. The coolest part was they then went to war with them and fought alongside the other allied tribes, taking their revenge upon the enemy.

Offline Dragonking11

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Very cool story !

I can feel from your posts in general that you are a very creative GM Druss ! That is quite a great quality to have as a GM  :)

In my case, I was never able to run very long campaigns as my players changed often back in the days. But one of my funniest one was in a setting of war with an evil necromancer that had severals necromancer underlings. They controlled a dragon that destroyed entire cities in order to create despair and chaos.

The player started the campaign in such a city. There was flame everywhere and were also attacked by orcs. They escaped barely and from that point on, whenever they heard about that Necromancer, they were compelled to go and try to foil his plan by pure hatred and vengeance !

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Very cool story !

I can feel from your posts in general that you are a very creative GM Druss ! That is quite a great quality to have as a GM  :)

In my case, I was never able to run very long campaigns as my players changed often back in the days. But one of my funniest one was in a setting of war with an evil necromancer that had severals necromancer underlings. They controlled a dragon that destroyed entire cities in order to create despair and chaos.

The player started the campaign in such a city. There was flame everywhere and were also attacked by orcs. They escaped barely and from that point on, whenever they heard about that Necromancer, they were compelled to go and try to foil his plan by pure hatred and vengeance !

cheers DragonK. i have my moments :) having creative players to bounce off helps. Your campaign with a dragon sounds great too. I might borrow that one for my current campaign. In this current campaign the party are adventuring across the known world seeking out temples built by a vampire worshipping cult. The cult's goal it is to resurrect 5 vampire lords and their cabal leader the lich lord. The were previously defeated in an ancient battle and their souls imprisoned in Soul Stones which where hidden in secret locations.

Offline Dragonking11

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I had long term plans for this campaign and wanted the PC to eventually face the dragon. That would have given them a big incentive to build their strength and look for powerful artifacts along the way.

We stopped when they were level 6 unfortunately. I will surely try to reboot that campaign and story eventually  ;D

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I had long term plans for this campaign and wanted the PC to eventually face the dragon. That would have given them a big incentive to build their strength and look for powerful artifacts along the way.

We stopped when they were level 6 unfortunately. I will surely try to reboot that campaign and story eventually  ;D

Reboot, Reboot, Reboot!
It was a lot of work to do so but i rebooted my very first campaign after 25yrs! Same pcs, same setting, new adventures. Digging up the players old character sheets in my garage was so exciting... like finding buried treasure. They were lvl 2 but had lots of history and stories from the old campaign we played as teenagers. Things ended on a sad note in that first campaign with both PC's being hung for murder! Or so they thought! Turns out a mystery magician arrives and saves them by setting the hangman's ropes on fire!

I created a loose plot around why he saved them (details were sketchy back then but it bought me time to add detail over time), whisked one of the pcs away (Barbarian sold into slavery forced to fight as a gladiator in the arena in a far off city, earns his freedom and returns to the city he was sold in, still a wanted criminal he adopts a new identity, seeks out his pc companion who he hasnt seen in nearly a year).

The other pc, a burglar is nursed back to health by a mystery retired assassin (again details were sketchy to start with). The assassin is working for the good magician who rescued them and the burglar pc is being trained for a dangerous mission to infiltrate the local assassins guild and kill its leader. It later is revealed the assassin guild is allies with the evil vampire worshipping cult and the pcs are caught up in a larger plot between the forces of good and evil.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
PROLOGUE for Ugh the Barbarian and Fleck the Burglar. [PRIOR TO SEASON ONE REBOOT]

SCENE: The Gallows in Vashanka’s Square. Two captured criminals - Ugh the Barbarian and Fleck the Burglar wait solemnly for their fate. You are both captives at the hanging block located in Vashanka’s Square outside the Governor’s Palace.

You have your hands bound behind your back and are standing beside each other on a raised platform with nooses tied around your necks. A small crowd of onlookers has gathered to watch the entertainment. Two city guards oversee proceedings. A man calls out from the crowd “Let’s see them dance! I want to see them dance on air! (laughter)”. It is impossible to tell where the comment came from. You quickly scan the twenty or so onlookers faces gathered in front of the gallows. They are a mixture of different townspeople: S’Danzo, urchins, beggars and street scum. You notice there is none that looks familiar. A non-descript government official shuffles forward and unrolls a piece of parchment.

Government Official “By decree of the Prince Governor, in accordance with the laws of our fair city, these criminals are hereby sentenced to death by hanging for their numerous crimes against the citizens of Sanctuary. These crimes include: assault on a Hellhound, theft, smuggling, association with known criminals and murder. Let all citizens assembled here bear witness that justice has been served. His Excellency. Prince Kidakathis. Protector of Sanctuary and servant of the Rankan Empire. 0014”. The official steps back and signals to the executioner who is waiting nearby.

If a rescue attempt was going to be made, now would be the time. You look to the rooftops and high walls nearby searching for an unlikely rescuer. Nothing. You say a silent prayer to the Gods. Your mouth is dry making it hard to swallow. At any moment the executioner will activate the trapdoor on which you are standing. Not long now. The end is near. The anticipation of your imminent death is agonizing. You glance at your friend beside you. Companions in life and now companions in death. He has a look of steely determination in his eyes. Time for one final joke. One last insult. One last laugh.

Ugh “If we get out of this I am going to kill you!”
FLECK “Yeah, sure… you will have to catch me first”.

You are jolted back to reality by a loud CRASH! as the executioner triggers the trapdoor on which you are standing. You immediately drop, helpless to control your decent. For a moment time seems to stop. Memories of people from your past flash through your mind. Jubal and his hawkmasks, Myrtis the Lady of the Night, Jake the fence, Jang the peasant, Argentia the S’Danzo and others. In your remaining seconds of life you relive encounters you have had throughout the city: the Bazaar, The Golden Lion, The Maze, the epic battle on the rooftops, the attempted rescue of that townsperson in his home and killing the assailant with a precesion strike through his eye! Again you are wrenched back to reality. This time by the sharp pain of the noose tightening around your neck. This is the end. Darkness encircles you.

Suddenly you are aware of a bright light. You feel a strange flash of heat. The white light, it is burning! Without warning the rope above you catches fire. You can smell the odour of singed rope. Your prayers have been answered! Or so it seems. You begin to pass out. Strangely, the pain has gone. The last thing you remember is seeing a shadowy figure approaching, cloaked and hooded. He has strange glowing eyes. The crowd parts like a curtain as the stranger moves towards you. Chaos follows. People scatter like leaves, some screaming in terror. Fear washes over you and then darkness.