Author Topic: Roco I question  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Roco I question
« on: September 23, 2017, 01:03:20 PM »
Page 50, skill at arms table curse terrible fearlessness. How does this work?
Can a semi spell user cast a few spells before charging in?
Or does he draw weapon and engage?
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: Roco I question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 02:45:28 AM »
They way it says 'heedless' would say to me that they charge in without any preparation at all if they fail the roll. So in these cases I would not allow the casting of spells before as then it becomes a controlled charge rather than a heedless charge.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 07:16:50 AM »
Agreed.  We wouldn't allow any prep or fore-thought.  The fact that it is heedless is what makes the curse such a nasty one.  No Detect Traps, no Sense Ambush, no General Perception.  It's just tunnel-vision and run into the fray.

For spells, we wouldn't allow spell prep, but an instantaneous or unconscious spell would be allowed, just nothing that required the spell caster to prepare or to concentrate on to make happen.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 11:28:40 PM »
We allow only subconscious spells, but it is the GMs call as to which of these go off. For example healing spells, the one that would deal with the most serious injury would activate first. The player has NO control over them.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline Moriarty

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 12:28:05 PM »
06 — Terrible Fearlessness: Base (40 - SD Mod)% chance of charging heedless into a combat situation

They way it says 'heedless' would say to me that they charge in without any preparation at all if they fail the roll.

If unarmed, would you at least allow for drawing a weapon first?
And if yes, how is that different than other forms of standard combat preparations before attacking, e.g. combat spells?

It seems to me that heedless in this context should be interpreted as heedless of the present danger, and that the person is not frenzy and would take the same actions he would take in any potential combat situation where he decides to charge the enemy, for whatever reason, i.e. get ready for combat and attack without unnecessary delay.
...the way average posters like Moriarty read it.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 01:30:10 PM »
06 — Terrible Fearlessness: Base (40 - SD Mod)% chance of charging heedless into a combat situation

They way it says 'heedless' would say to me that they charge in without any preparation at all if they fail the roll.

If unarmed, would you at least allow for drawing a weapon first?
And if yes, how is that different than other forms of standard combat preparations before attacking, e.g. combat spells?

It seems to me that heedless in this context should be interpreted as heedless of the present danger, and that the person is not frenzy and would take the same actions he would take in any potential combat situation where he decides to charge the enemy, for whatever reason, i.e. get ready for combat and attack without unnecessary delay.

They would draw their weapon and just go charging in, or drawing their weapon as they are going in headlong.  It's the tunnel vision/blind rage, not noticing that they would be in the middle of a circle of ten baddies if they ran after the leader, they don't pay attention to the fire that is spreading to the kegs of whale oil on the deck as they go back onto the boat to fight the evil pirate captain.

If you really wanted to be a rat-b-tard of a GM you could say "You fight bare-knuckled and don't even get to draw your weapon."  One reason I always take some sort of unarmed combat skill (Martial Arts, Wrestling, Tackling).  Never know when you have to fight without a weapon.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 01:35:14 AM »
Hmm, for unarmed you could use tiny claws and teeth attacks, depends whether you consider the character has entered frenzy. Incidentally with frenzy we have a house rule that certain criticals like Die in 6 rounds have no immediate effect, and no other results like stuns etc will work as the character is "already" dead. But at the end of the 6 rounds - thump.
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow