Author Topic: New Game!  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New Game!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 03:10:01 PM »
Rolemaster certainly did invite customization with its optional rules. DnD definitely did release a lot of stuff back in the day that was optional, but those seem to me to be more things like additional classes and races; Rolemaster offered new classes and races along with a ton of new mechanics or alternate ways of dealing with core mechanics.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 04:43:53 AM »
iv also played MERP, Runequest and Stormbringer and Gamma World.
All of these are world-specific games so, obviously, they require less customisation (if any!) than a setting neutral system such as RM, which is supposed to work in any kind of (fantasy) world.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 10:47:48 AM »
im always impressed with the tweeks GMs make to their game rules. i think rolemaster is unique in that every campaign has its own house rules and variations that meet the needs of each unique playgroup.
Actually this is the norm for almost every game system that is setting neutral. It is also extremely common for those games with a strong setting identity.

Playing games RAW is the least likely situation but then GMs are world builders and they will always shape the rules of the game to enable them to build the world they imagine.

i guess im speaking from my own experience with original D&D where there are fewer options to deviate from the core rules.iv also played MERP, Runequest and Stormbringer and Gamma World. Rolemaster imo has the most scope to develop variant rules and select from the largest amount of options. Not saying this isnt possible in those other game systems but you seem to have more choices in rolemaster whether it is changing/tweeking skills available, initiative. combat or spells rolemaster is ready to be shaped and molded more than the other systems.
I haven't played D&D in a very long time but when I did we 'changed the game' almost monthly when new spells, classes etc were featured in White Dwarf or Dragon magazine. Over on DM's Guild so far this week they have added 2 new professions and a document on home brewing weapons.

I think house ruling is something GMs do and will always do, and the system is of little consequence. Of greater importance is the gap between the default rules and the game setting.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 09:14:01 PM »
I've never cared for RMSS training packages at all. Basically I find them deeply flawed, especially the ones they came up with for settings outside traditional fantasy. WHFRP's careers and exit paths are quite different, and to me much more interesting because they also build a compelling story for a character. It's not "spend the DPs and get some oddly matched skills," it's more a matter of what skills and equipment you need to move on to the next career if you so choose (WHFRP doesn't make you do that, though). It's a fascinating system, and one I think is under-appreciated.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 12:29:05 AM »
In other news, the first session was a success last night. Combat ran smoothly and everyone appears to have got a handle on the system quite quickly.

A number of players are fascinated by the magic system and the number of options at their disposal, and pretty much everyone is happy with the skills and abilities they have access to.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »
In other news, the first session was a success last night. Combat ran smoothly and everyone appears to have got a handle on the system quite quickly.

A number of players are fascinated by the magic system and the number of options at their disposal, and pretty much everyone is happy with the skills and abilities they have access to.

Good to hear!
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 05:20:07 PM »
Good stuff!
Keep it up and preach the RM gospel.
 ;D

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2018, 09:48:46 PM »
I'm amused and happy with some further feedback from my players.

The first session involved some run-ins with foes that were mainly farmers, and the group of 4th level PCs rolled them while barely breaking a sweat (the second engagement occurred under a new moon, with all the PCs enjoying nightvision, magical stealth enhancement and the enemy bonfire magically extinguished). The Culraug I intended to provide a more significant threat was shockbolted and stunned before getting it's first spell away, and then had it's leg lopped off before before recovering from stun. The actual farmers were cut to pieces.

The PCs walked away unscathed (the PC Paladin took a few concussion hits, but only because on a couple of occasions I didn't penalise the enemy sufficiently for fighting in nearly pitch darkness). I don't resent their success, it was a well-planned assault; they made excellent use of their available spells and abilities, and deserved the win.

I'm amused that the fighter-types are all reminding each other not to get too cocky, as they were only fighting farmers, and I've discovered that the paladin and the goblin rogue have fully absorbed the fact that they could very easily be on the receiving end of the pain in the future. Being who they are, they're both going to be aggressive when the need to fight arises, but they're both also petrified that they're going to get hurt and hurt badly -- an attitude that should ensure they continue to find the combats exciting and a little scary.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 12:31:29 PM »
I'm amused and happy with some further feedback from my players.

The first session involved some run-ins with foes that were mainly farmers, and the group of 4th level PCs rolled them while barely breaking a sweat (the second engagement occurred under a new moon, with all the PCs enjoying nightvision, magical stealth enhancement and the enemy bonfire magically extinguished). The Culraug I intended to provide a more significant threat was shockbolted and stunned before getting it's first spell away, and then had it's leg lopped off before before recovering from stun. The actual farmers were cut to pieces.

The PCs walked away unscathed (the PC Paladin took a few concussion hits, but only because on a couple of occasions I didn't penalise the enemy sufficiently for fighting in nearly pitch darkness). I don't resent their success, it was a well-planned assault; they made excellent use of their available spells and abilities, and deserved the win.

I'm amused that the fighter-types are all reminding each other not to get too cocky, as they were only fighting farmers, and I've discovered that the paladin and the goblin rogue have fully absorbed the fact that they could very easily be on the receiving end of the pain in the future. Being who they are, they're both going to be aggressive when the need to fight arises, but they're both also petrified that they're going to get hurt and hurt badly -- an attitude that should ensure they continue to find the combats exciting and a little scary.
This type of thing is the exact reason RM is my favorite rpg. In D&D it would have devolved into an exercise of HP attrition, with the initial "surprise" amounting to very little, when surprise generally means so much more. This idea that you have to take several "hits" in combat for it to be exciting is just plain wrong, imo.

Sounds like you guys had fun, which is always good and I hope it continues.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 09:09:46 PM »
Haven't pulled out the Rolemaster game in a while, I have been really hitting the Genesys by FFG hard.  Wow is this game something else with the narrative dice system. 

Now I just need to merge it with the Rolemaster lethality and it would be perfect.