Author Topic: Spell list cost and number of ranks per level  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell list cost and number of ranks per level
« on: January 02, 2018, 10:24:09 AM »
I'm trying to figure out an home rule for the spell list developement, but I'm afraid to break the game so I'll ask for other users/GM opinion before introducing it in my games.
The fact is that RM2 sistem is too randomic for my tastes, RMU approach suits me better, but seems kind of slow. RMFRP allow for 3 ranks/level for pure and hybrids, which sounds better, but still I feel it's working only for low level characters.
I mean, why a 30 lvl mage should even bother to learn a new spell list at 3 ranks/level ? It wil take more than 14 levels to learn it to a level comparable to his own, even if he can be rightfully called an expert in magic.
So my idea was to remove the max number of purchasable ranks per level, provided that :
a) you need a book that contains those spells in order to learn them (and they are not easy to find in my setting)
b) you have enough DP
c) you are a pure spell user
I should probably put a cap on overcasting, though. Like you can cast a spell that doesn't excede 3 levels over yours.
What do you think?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spell list cost and number of ranks per level
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 11:12:52 AM »
RMU handles all of that for you: Intense Training.
Once per level (that means for only one skill), if the GM allows it, you can develop more than two ranks on a skill.
You must gather enough materials, and dedicate enough time. There is a cap at 2 x Level ranks in the skill.

So if a Lvl 30 mage finds a spell book with all spells up to Level 150 (Wow!), for a list that would cost 2/4:
Up to 60 ranks can be developed at (2 x 1) + (4 x 59) = 238 DP
Now you just need to gather those DPs....

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:20:00 AM »
RMU handles all of that for you: Intense Training.
Once per level (that means for only one skill), if the GM allows it, you can develop more than two ranks on a skill.
You must gather enough materials, and dedicate enough time. There is a cap at 2 x Level ranks in the skill.

So if a Lvl 30 mage finds a spell book with all spells up to Level 150 (Wow!), for a list that would cost 2/4:
Up to 60 ranks can be developed at (2 x 1) + (4 x 59) = 238 DP
Now you just need to gather those DPs....

Wow, I really missed that rule, but you're right: it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 11:07:20 PM »
It's an optional rule but I think it's a good one. I would definitely require some kind of roleplay explanation of how the intense training was possible. Your idea of obtaining a book that contains the knowledge is a good one, it would be sensible to also set some kind of requirement for how long it takes to study it (maybe in terms of days per spell level learned). Similarly, enrolling in a school, intensive mentorship, etc.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 04:04:36 AM »
It's an optional rule but I think it's a good one. I would definitely require some kind of roleplay explanation of how the intense training was possible. Your idea of obtaining a book that contains the knowledge is a good one, it would be sensible to also set some kind of requirement for how long it takes to study it (maybe in terms of days per spell level learned). Similarly, enrolling in a school, intensive mentorship, etc.

Yes, it needs to be used with judgement, but helps a lot in handling specific situations and provide flexibility to the system.

I always thought that providing tools is the work of the system while it's better to delegate restrictions to the setting, and this is a fine example of that. This rule fits well in my game world where you don't learn spells without a very rare book or becoming part of an association (mage circle, cult, etc..), which is exclusive and requires some kind of obbligation, so makes sense that a mage could be unable to find spells at one level and close himself in the library for a while as soon as he come back to his school or teacher gaining many spells next level. That alone should prevent the abuse of the rule in my games, but I see why none would want a rule like that in a world where casting is "spontaneus" and a mage gains new spells just expending points.

So I agree, it's a very good optional rule, but it's also very good that it's optional  ;D.