Author Topic: Conversion  (Read 6343 times)

Offline croakerdogboy

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Software Developer/Writer/ Indentured Servant
Conversion
« on: April 08, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »
While I know that Shadowrun was not truly a Cyberpunk game as such, I did love the background and the concept. However, I hated the base system.

Several years ago my group played a lot of Cyberspace. I always wondered how much effort it would take to use Cyberspace and RMSS Standard as well as Spacemaster to convert Shadowrun to ICE rules. The shear amount of info in Shadowrun has been somewhat daunting for me to try to tackle. Has anyone else ever attempted this and what kind of success did you meet with?
It is the fundamental theory of all the more recent American law...that the average citizen is half-witted, and hence not to be trusted to either his own devices or his own thoughts.

H.L. Mencken

Offline lev_lafayette

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 07:50:46 PM »
Well given that it is relatively easy to mash up Cyberspace and MERP you should have very few problems whatsoever.

If you can find it, you could end up turning the scenario 'Death Game 2090' as the start of the return of magic as well.
RPG Review. Free 'zine. Worth reading.
My livejournal.

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 04:23:22 PM »
Croaker... this is pretty much what I do. I've taken some of the ideas form Shadowrun and simply placed it within the mechanics of Cyberspace.
Now, I dont have magic in that game and it's more of a hybird of CS & SM2... but this sound slike what you're looking to do anyways, isnt it?
I admit my twist on the whole thing is... well it's not straight up ICE, but that's the basis for everything with the mechanics.
just wanted to toss in my 2 pence...

~A
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline croakerdogboy

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Software Developer/Writer/ Indentured Servant
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 10:31:13 AM »
Now, I dont have magic in that game and it's more of a hybird of CS & SM2... but this sound slike what you're looking to do anyways, isnt it?

Ironically enough in most of my fantasy settings I am in to more straight up worlds with little or no magic. Mainly because I feel like the focus on Magic Elves dancing around frying everything in sight with huge bolts of power makes me a little queasy. And the whole idea of 'mostly' dead characters being dragged to the local healer for reserection takes a lot of the suspense out of combat.... but

Funny thing, I actually like the magic in the cyberpunk genre. I feel like it helps balance the 10 empathy near cursed metal monstrosities chainsawing hapless victims. If they can be fried by a dancing elf and their huge bolt of power then that equalizes it. And since a 'mostly' dead character can also be dragged to their local machine shop for reserrection, it's already in the game. Not a lot to do but work with it.
It is the fundamental theory of all the more recent American law...that the average citizen is half-witted, and hence not to be trusted to either his own devices or his own thoughts.

H.L. Mencken

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 01:59:58 PM »
I second the idea of fusing Cyberspace with SM2 elements.Then add MERP or RMX for the fantasy elements.I actually like this idea of converting SR to cyberspace,as I too don't care much for it's base rules.I've never cared for the whole archtype & dice pools thing.I'd also see a conversion for RIFTS for use with Cyberspace/SM2.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 06:15:19 PM »
 I can also say I am not a fan of rolling hords of d6's. I onced asked a guy why he had about 80 d6's and he said he needed them for Shadowrun, and I shook my head.

IMO also as soon as you start to convert or adapt any thing to any system you are on your want to a better gaming experience.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 03:40:58 PM »
Converting Shadowrun should be very straight forward,since most of the core elements are already in place.Only magic & creatures/monsters will take any effort to convert.Only one of my friends would have issues with converting over to Cyberspace/Sm2/RMX since his favorite game IS Shadowrun.So he has no issue with the game as is ,except 4th ed . that is.Two of my friends prefer RM2 & the other would be open to the convertion IMO.I know I'd prefer a Cyberspace/SM2 based SR game.

Converting RIFTS would take time & plenty of effort.I have no problem with the regular rules but one or more of my friends do.I think a convertion to either a Cyberspace/SM2/RMX hybrid or SM2/RMC hybrid rules set might appeal to them.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 10:45:40 PM »
 As something different just try a game day in which the do not know what system you are playing and you have all the specs for the PC's. You can give them vague ideas what abilities their PC's have but not everything. There is also a lot of litature that allows you to run a memory loss game.
 BTW, players can get very edgey if they do not have a sheet in frount of them. But some like it and go with the flow.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 11:16:36 AM »
I second the idea of fusing Cyberspace with SM2 elements.Then add MERP or RMX for the fantasy elements.I actually like this idea of converting SR to cyberspace,as I too don't care much for it's base rules.I've never cared for the whole archtype & dice pools thing.I'd also see a conversion for RIFTS for use with Cyberspace/SM2.

About RIFTS: certain folks are paranoid that you are going to publish your conversion for money so you're on your own.
Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 06:58:29 PM »
LOL ... Naw ain't goin' to happen.If I do it(the convertion) it'll be so I can convince my Sunday GM to play RIFTS again,not for profit.I wouldn't expect help on a RIFTS convertion here anyway as I'm probally the only HxC fan on here.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 12:14:02 PM »
I'm going to look into getting RMX asap.That way I can see what I'll need to start converting Shadowrun to a Cyberspace/SM2/RM hybrid.It'll take awhile since I don't have much SR material beyond the 2nd & 3rd ed. core rulebooks.I'm looking to get 4th ed before I do any serious convertions as I want to see what changes they made to the setting.That way I'll know what I want to include into my campaign world &  what won't work .Plus It'll give me a idea of what I'll need to convert & what I can leave as core Cyberspace.

RIFTs I'm going to just stick with it's own rules no convertions.Mainly because the group I'm in just isn't interested in either way.So it won't be worth converting.I'll just have to look for a RIFTs group to game in if I want to play or run RIFTs.

While on the topic of convertions related to or using Cyberspace rules. I'm looking into converting Twilight : 2000/2013 to Cyberspace.I'm a big fan of PA worlds whether they're like Fall Out, Gamma World & Mad Max,but I love worlds like Twilight :2000. Worlds nearly devestated by wars or worse but leave out the Sci-Fi/Fantasy elements.I especially like the idea of roving bands of isolated military units trying to survive & make it home alive.It's only natural that I like the comic Twilight:X ;)

Converting Twilight:2000 to cyberspace should be very str8 forward.I'm just going to come up with my own setting.As the original is outdated & I'm not quite sure what 93 Games studios is doing with Twilight:2013.Mine will most likely have similarities with theirs from what I've read ,but it can't be helped.I will buy T:2013 when it comes out but just to mine for my own campaigns .Unless I find a group n' GM who''l run T:2013 that is.Anyway that's enough for this post,L8r.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 11:22:26 PM »
 I think converting almost anything is easy to RM as d100 is easy. The hard part that I find is in the optional rules and the little stuff. Like Vampire the Requium has 5 bilities per power, so do you cost them each at 25DP ? or 20 DP? or 15 DP per levle? But once you get a system down it is easy.

A note on TW2000 if you do not have RMSS FireArms I would pick it up as it has many tables for firearms and as long as you have the kinetic ebergy or can figure out the KE of a round you have a table. Where it gets a little sticky is in converting larger weapons and vehicles, for that you might use SM2's Armored Assault and maybe pick up SM2's Starstrike just for completness. AA also has rules for mass combat that could be helpful in a TW2000 game.

For Shadowrun you might try and find some of the old source books for sale and use them to build up the area or just dive into the new ones. Also you many want to check E-Bay for them or Powels Books downtown, sometimes I find a treasure there that I have had trouble finding elsewhere.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »
Concerning SR I might borrow my friend Skull's books to begin with or see if he'd help me do the conversions.I'll look at Powells for a copy of SR 4rth ed.

I'll look the other books you mentioned concerning T:2000 convertions.Thanx,
Oso
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 12:26:54 PM »
I'm still thinking about converting Shadowrun to Cyberspace .I tried to play in my friend Skull's recent SR campaign. I just couldn't get into it . Part of the problem was his GMing style I didn't care for & I just don't like the whole dice pool thing . I might have to ask Skull to help me do convertions so we can hang out .
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline SnowDog

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 08:24:57 AM »
I would use SM and RM as base rules and then add cyberware and net rules from CS to the lot.

From RM you only need spells (and races/monsters). What you need to think is how cyberware limits the spell casting (otherwise things get unbalanced very fast).

Otherwise I would suggest that you try and find an old supplement "Darkspace" that has soft-tech. Soft-tech had stats in the same format as cyberware in CS, IIRC.
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."

- Full Metal GM

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 10:04:05 AM »
BTW, players can get very edgey if they do not have a sheet in frount of them. But some like it and go with the flow.

MDC

This is an old quote but I only thought of it just now.

This reminds me of the Sandman rpg (not based on the comic) by the long defunct Pacesetter Games.  The players started with nothing in front of them and the game essentially begins with the characters being woken up by the sound of the train engine with no idea of who they are, where they are, or how they got there.  When I ran it I didn't even tell the players what type of dice they'd need.

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 10:40:21 AM »
From RM you only need spells (and races/monsters). What you need to think is how cyberware limits the spell casting (otherwise things get unbalanced very fast).

I would give the various cyberwares a cost modifier which adds to the cost of Power Point Development.  For example, cybereyes have a cost modifier of 2, PPD normally costs 2/5 for the character; it now costs 4/7.  The character later gets subdermal armor which has a modifier of 15.  PPD now costs 19/22 and he has to pay the spellcasting penalties for wearing armor.

One of the things I've never cared for in Shadowrun is that cyber-based characters can get vastly better just by spending money whereas most other characters need to burn XP/build points.  You could get around this by adding a Cyber skill to each profession and certain 'ware requires 'X' number of ranks or needs a roll to work properly.

These ideas are just off the cuff; I've never owned or read Cyberspace.

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein