Author Topic: Tips for running this campaign  (Read 2821 times)

Offline pastorwelby

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Tips for running this campaign
« on: August 25, 2016, 12:05:52 PM »
As a group of vintage RM2 gamers, we just started this EOH campaign with the teaser.  I am GM'ing and I am quite rusty, having not played RM in over ten years.  The first session went pretty good, but I wanted to see if there were any caveats or tips to be aware of when run Echoes.  I love the story and I think it is a great world so I want to run it the best I possibly can for my players.  So, what tips and tricks have you all?
When the GM smiles, it's too late.

Offline pastorwelby

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Tips for running this campaign
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 05:09:11 PM »
I've found some helps on other posts, thanks to all of you who have shared your experiences - it is helpful.  I will post any interesting notes from our EOH campaign here in the hopes of helping others.  If you have a question for us, I'll gladly take it to our group and get back to you. 

Offline E-Warden

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »
I'm getting ready to start running after not playing RM for over a decade and never GMing. Any pointers would be helpful. Do you have any pointers for a party lacking a healer?  I'm afraid they will not survive act III.

Offline Mordrig

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 07:28:20 AM »
I suggest making the combat fast paced and fun.  I have started to do all calculations on a spreadsheet allowing combat to flow quickly and prevent bogging down.  The players roll fast, and I give a quick description of the combat keeping them interested.  Combat is fast paced and light on rolls so it ends quickly with lots of details.  The big complaint I always received when playing any RM types was the ROLL-Master aspect, so I make it with fewer rolls, and more detailed descriptions. 
Keep things moving along, but do not force them in any direction, nothing is worse than the GM pushing you in a direction through obvious manipulation.  Give free choices that they feel were their decision even if it take you to where you wanted them anyway.

Offline E-Warden

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 08:38:09 PM »
Thanks for the pointers.

Offline pastorwelby

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 08:31:13 AM »
I'm getting ready to start running after not playing RM for over a decade and never GMing. Any pointers would be helpful. Do you have any pointers for a party lacking a healer?  I'm afraid they will not survive act III.
One of the things I have done to help the party when they lack a healer is indirectly point them in the direction of a shop that supplies healing herbs and the like.  Or award them some of these supplies for completing a mission or helping someone in need.  Tends to help them survive in the absence of a healer type - or run an NPC healer with them, but that can be difficult to DM and run at same time.