Author Topic: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures  (Read 91030 times)

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
Re: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2015, 01:22:54 PM »
Yet another question, sorry.
And I'm not sure that anyone will be able to help me with this, it's technical. I tried to run an RM game at a mini-convection yesterday, and I had no internet service. I could never get connected to ERA. Now, Chrome also seemed to be messing up, but using IE didn't solve the problem so I'm not blaming it. Any tips/advice?
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2015, 02:58:06 PM »
The RMFRP version has been updated.

Once again vorceaar has detected a slight misbehavior that is now corrected: the fumble results were being applied to the target instead of the attacker!

Also, this version includes a new feature: custom professions.
After choosing a profession during character creation, a "customize" button will appear. It allows the player to specify a different realm and prime stats.
With this improvement you can use whatever bard and monk you want.
Of course this also allows channeling magicians with Ag/Qu as prime stats, so check with your GM before proceeding!

http://goo.gl/RHU3xF [Windows]
http://goo.gl/xXrjcu [Linux]
http://goo.gl/PyEuzs [Mac]

As regards the need for Internet, I just tried disconnecting my cable and starting this last version, and can confirm that it kept working just like before.
Did you see any difference in the loading notifications? Could you take a screenshot of the browser after trying to open the module selection screen?
When the server is started, you can always try to go manually to "localhost:7777/ERA" an see if you get a better result.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2015, 06:30:33 PM »
 What I would try is once you have connected successfully connected to ERA I would save the page just like you would any other website you want to directly go back to.
  If you were having problems with chrome then it might have been the browser, since the problem was not solved by moving to IE then I think something else "strange" was going on. But I think the above direct link should solve (in most cases it should) or using a saved link as in saved page should also help.
 If the direct link does not work then there is a problem with the software connecting to the software.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2015, 06:09:42 PM »
A small update has been uploaded for RMFRP.

http://goo.gl/RHU3xF [Windows]
http://goo.gl/xXrjcu [Linux]
http://goo.gl/PyEuzs [Mac]

Urban and Martial Arts - Combat Maneuvers should now offer results in the static maneuver dialog.
I also changed the tables included so that advanced users can customize the maneuver results.

This version also fixes hybrid stat realm bonus and quickness adjustment to stride, thanks to the keen eye of vorceaar.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2015, 09:51:01 AM »
I tested at the game shop I'm going to host a game at and had no problem accessing ERA, so that's good and I'm ready to go. :D
"Even the most free roaming video game in the world still has to rely on programmed quest resolution triggers.  Only table-top RPGs make any solution possible.  Even ones not originally intended by the GM.  You  will never replace that." --Rivstyx

Offline silarkhar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2015, 08:13:02 PM »
Hi, I'm new on this forum. I've already RMC with books.
I've downloaded this week ERA and the "lawbooks" from RPGNow and installed it on my laptop with windows 8.1.
When I launch 'server.exe', I've only a window with the summary of commands for Pharo. I've deactivated my firewall and my antivirus but it seems not work...
Have I forgotten something ?
Could you help me please ?
ERA user for RM2 and RMC.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2015, 08:30:54 PM »
Have you tried this yet?
It may take some seconds for the server to start, but I have not yet received any reports on erratic start-ups like the one you mention.
Please let me know which Operative System you are using. Also, I'd like to know if you see 2 boxes appearing on the server window. The first should say "ERA Server is starting, please wait" and the second one "ERA Server is ready". Afterwards your default browser should open automatically and show the module selection screen. All of this is assuming you accepted any firewall dialogs that may have popped up.
I use Windows 7 and Google Chrome (but tried it with Internet Explorer too with the same result). After some testing I think I have found what the problem is. For some reason I need to have my browser window open before I start the ERA server. If I run the server before starting the browser it opens the browser for me but can't connect to the server even though the server says it is ready. But if I have the browser open before running the ERA server it seem to work almost all the times. :-)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2015, 01:40:07 AM »
silarkhar,
 Welcome to the ICE Forums.

I hope that Justin's comment help if not then I am sure the software's creator will provide some additional troubleshooting tips and tricks to help you out.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline silarkhar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2015, 08:59:21 AM »
Thanks for your quick responses.
I've tried with my browser opened before, nothing is happened. I've changed the properties for compatiblity between the 32-bit executable and my 64-bit OS, nothing. I've tried on my old desktop 32-bit vista, always the same window :

I've tried also on my OS linux (ubuntu), yes it works but why I can't use it on OS windows ?
I don't understand the troubleshooting with pharo. I'm looking for a solution about pharo.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2015, 09:26:10 AM »
oh sorry, that's much more-so Pharo stuff. Can't help you there.

Offline silarkhar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2015, 09:32:40 AM »
So this week-end, I'll try on my very old laptop with Windows XP (SP3).
For information, I've downloaded the dev software of pharo... It doesn't work :-[
Hmmm, I'm a little bit disappointed, I want it on my laptop not on an old computer.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2015, 10:18:32 AM »
Hi silarkhar, thanks for letting us know about your issue.
I think I know why this might be. Have you, by any chance, installed ERA in a directory that contains "non-standard" characters? (á, ö, ç, etc...)

I don't think the situation is related to Windows 8 at all, but Windows in general.
Although I have never seen this happen up to know, I tried renaming my ERA directory to ERá and could reproduce the issue.
The same happens if I install to "C:\Stuffö\ERA\".

Let me know if this helps, I'll see if there is a way for future versions to allow any kind of directory names.

Also, thanks Justin and markc for your assistance, it is great to see the other users stepping up to offer ideas!

Offline silarkhar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2015, 11:46:24 AM »
My directory is called 'ERA', so now I've installed it directly on the desktop and always the same window...
yes I think too it's a problem related to Windows.

Offline silarkhar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2015, 12:07:16 PM »
Mea culpa, mea culpa !!

Voriig Kye :
Although I have never seen this happen up to know, I tried renaming my ERA directory to ERá and could reproduce the issue.
The same happens if I install to "C:\Stuffö\ERA\".

You were right, I've a non-standard character (in my firstname... so it's a fault of my parents  :P ) in the pathway, even if I paste my directory on my desktop...

now I'm a proud user of ERA  ;D

Thanks to Voriig Kye, Justin and markc for your help and patience.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2015, 08:08:28 PM »
A campaign failed to load. I don't get exactly what the issue is, and I'm not seeing anything on my search to tell me what's up with it. I haven't edited the file manually, so it must be something else. Maybe something bad with the PCs' files.

Response:
<html><head><title>XMLDOMException: Node cannot contain content</title></head><body onload="onLoad()"><h1>XMLDOMException: Node cannot contain content</h1><p>Your request could not be completed. An exception occurred.</p><script type="text/javascript">/*<![CDATA[*/function onLoad(){};/*]]>*/</script></body></html>

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2015, 08:30:49 AM »
The only way for those kind of errors to appear is if the XML file has an invalid format. I just tried the latest RMC version with different situations and that message never appeared.
It could be that the problem is not in your adventure file, but in the character files that are read because they would be referenced from there.
First of all, I'd like you to check your adventure and character files against some XML validator (for example http://www.xmlvalidation.com/ or http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_validator.asp). If you are using the inventory module then we should consider the inventory file as well.
If they say everything's OK, let's coordinate for you to send me the files so that I can check them in my development environment. Hopefully we can find the reason and prepare the next version to give a more clear explanation of what's happening.

Offline Justin

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +170/-170
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »
yeah, the validator doesn't have a problem with either the adventure or the inventory file. I also tried manually removing some of the items I had added and it still wouldn't load.

Offline Soulcleave

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2015, 11:17:22 AM »
  I apologize in advance for my ramblings and topic jumping.

ahem
  I am trying to get the RMSS/RMFRP files, but they are not available yet.  Any Idea when they will be?  Or If I buy the RMC files will I be able to use that purchase to unlock the RMSS/RMFRP files instead (OK, fine what I really want is the RMU version... ^_^).  The foresight in adding firearms and energy weapons is much appreciated.

I apologize if I sound like some GIMME-GIMME git, I am not going to make an excuse because in most ways that is accurate, I just can't think of a polite way of saying it right now...it being an hour and a half minutes past my bed time...

I will not bother you with more off topic comments so thanks for any help you can give me!

Eric "Soulcleave" Gibbons

"TANKS IN ADVANCE!"
Yes, it is true.  I am a figment of my Imagination.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2015, 04:08:50 PM »
The RMSS/RMFRP database files will be different products as will be the RMU files. I don't know when Max will have a set of RMSS/FRP files ready. I expect that RMU datasets will not be readied until RMU has survived the Beta2 phase.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

I apologize in advance for my ramblings and topic jumping.

ahem
  I am trying to get the RMSS/RMFRP files, but they are not available yet.  Any Idea when they will be?  Or If I buy the RMC files will I be able to use that purchase to unlock the RMSS/RMFRP files instead (OK, fine what I really want is the RMU version... ^_^).  The foresight in adding firearms and energy weapons is much appreciated.

I apologize if I sound like some GIMME-GIMME git, I am not going to make an excuse because in most ways that is accurate, I just can't think of a polite way of saying it right now...it being an hour and a half minutes past my bed time...

I will not bother you with more off topic comments so thanks for any help you can give me!

Eric "Soulcleave" Gibbons

"TANKS IN ADVANCE!"
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2015, 05:43:34 PM »
Hi! I can confirm that I am working on the RMFRP files.

Also, the next version of ERA will include better support for those creating custom configuration files. It will describe any parsing errors found while starting up the server.