Author Topic: Spacemaster & RMU  (Read 2414 times)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Spacemaster & RMU
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:28:04 AM »
Given that Spacemaster and Rolemaster 2nd editions were intended to be mutually compatible, and that the Spacemaster setting is basically being rebuilt, will it be rebuilt in such a way that it will be compatible with RMU?
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
Re: Spacemaster & RMU
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 07:38:07 AM »
From what I have read, that is the impression that I've gotten, is that it will be.  Although though those who are starting work on it would be able to give a more accurate answer.
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 08:24:01 AM »
  I am not on the RMU Team and I know nothing of what the official plans are now, but in the in the past the idea was to unify both RM and SM into a new product line and I think that is still the official answer.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:56:02 AM »
If you look at the skills grouping in RMU, it already seems as if it that is the way it is going.  Personally, I would like to see a Master Skills Table that is the same in both products.  That way, you can just assign appropriate DP costs.

For the fantasy side, sciences like Electronics Technology or Geographic Information System would have absurd DP costs like 35/70.  On the sci fi side, lore skills such as Dragon Lore may have those same absurd DP costs, excepting Scholars, of course.

In fact, I am still working on a Master Skills Table that lists skills from both the RM and SM systems.  Just have not had the time to work on it like I would.  Been spending 13 hours a day at work for the last month.  Finally got two days off, but there is so much house cleaning that needs doing...

Anyway, if I ever get it completed, I will post it.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »
I have one done but I do not know if I can distribute it. If you are interested in it contact Thom @ ICE no spaces and ask if I markc can provide you with the chart.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 04:54:42 PM »
Time Riders also unified all the settings (including MERP) so an overhaul of that might be an idea, especially as MERP is no longer part of it.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:10:26 AM »
If you look at the skills grouping in RMU, it already seems as if it that is the way it is going.  Personally, I would like to see a Master Skills Table that is the same in both products.  That way, you can just assign appropriate DP costs.

For the fantasy side, sciences like Electronics Technology or Geographic Information System would have absurd DP costs like 35/70.  On the sci fi side, lore skills such as Dragon Lore may have those same absurd DP costs, excepting Scholars, of course.

In fact, I am still working on a Master Skills Table that lists skills from both the RM and SM systems.  Just have not had the time to work on it like I would.  Been spending 13 hours a day at work for the last month.  Finally got two days off, but there is so much house cleaning that needs doing...

Anyway, if I ever get it completed, I will post it.

rmfr

Why assign absurd DP costs when instead you could just assign a "Tech level"
The "Tech Level" defines what some one at that Tech Level can do with the skill and what the difficulty penalties are for certain actions. Some Skill might even say "Unavailable" for certain Tech levels.
For instance, Electronics might be Unavailable to cave man type tech levels.
Or such a skill may only be used in massive cumbersome ways... such as Large Acid pits with copper inlays spread out to provide power to rudimentary Lights, might be the Most such a skill could accomplish in a Aztec or Egyptian like society/time period.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 09:42:07 AM »
I made a purchase a GenCon this year for a game that sounded fascinating.  While reading the rules though, I've come to the conclusion that Spacemaster would work fantastic with it (their system mechanics are d%, but use a "roll below the skill level" type of mechanism and their combat is not very realistic in how it works (better than a lot of systems, but not as good as Rolemaster/Spacemaster).  I'm tentatively planing to write something up about this game in an upcoming issue of the GuildCompanion.com as the setting is fantastic in my opinion and would work very well with Spacemaster.  In fact I may follow up the review of the game with an article about using Spacemaster rules with the setting. 

Also wanted to mention that I agree with Warl, that having a tech level based DP cost would be a good way to handle such things (as a DP cost for something like Tracking or Leatherworking should be higher for most professions in a sci-fi setting than in a fantasy setting (looking at it from a low-tech skill perspective).
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 11:17:51 AM »
Also wanted to mention that I agree with Warl, that having a tech level based DP cost would be a good way to handle such things (as a DP cost for something like Tracking or Leatherworking should be higher for most professions in a sci-fi setting than in a fantasy setting (looking at it from a low-tech skill perspective).
actually, Not quite what I meant.

What I mean is that the costs don't need to actually change... Just what you can do with it at certain tech Levels does change.

For instance,
Surgery:
At a Low Tech Level, there isn't much to Surgery. It's Mostly butchery an With the Non-antiseptics of the time, and no anesthetics, More likely to Kill the patient than Help them.
At later tech levels... say 1980s, Surgery had gotten much better, with the additions of Antiseptics, antibiotics and anesthetics, One could, say remove a bullet, or even repair a Artery without much risk to the patient.
To day we can even repair the heart and do some brain and neuro work without to much risk.

50 to 100 years from now we may be able to do Brain transplants...

But that is all based on Tech Level... The Tech Level determines the Knowledge and resources available to preform such tasks.

A 2100 tech level person, without his Gear, in a 0 BC environment, Might not be as skilled as a 0 BC tech level person in a 0BC environment.
That way you can have Cross over Cultures ( this player comes from a lower tech culture than anther player) without having to effect the DP costs.
D Puncture crit 100

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 11:03:01 PM »
Speaking of Which

Does Anyone Have a version of the Space Master Profession with skill Costs for the RM2 Skill lists?
The Space Master Skill lists is a bit smaller... and I am going to be running a game with a Bit of Cross over between Cultures of varying Tech level.
D Puncture crit 100

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 12:36:29 AM »
  If there was one it would be in the vault or in one of the RoCo's or in one of the SM Co's. I do not have physical copies of the SM Co but I may have an electronic copy if it was available through DtRPG.com on another computer or on a back up somewhere. If no one gets back to you send me a PM and I will dig for it.

But in general I would just match the professions as best I could and see what the actual skill cost differences were and go from there.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 10:41:59 AM »
actually, Not quite what I meant.

Yup, I got thinking about it after I posted that I may have mis-understood what you were getting at.  guess I was thinking something a little different (although both ideas I think do have merit, just a matter of which one would work better for the GM's needs).  They are two different (but sort of similar) approaches to the same problem though.