Author Topic: Favorite RM2 Comapnaion  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Favorite RM2 Comapnaion
« on: July 31, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »
I saw this in an old post that was similar in topic.  The poster had asked about the "essential" books to purchase to get started in RM2.  I was wondering what some favorites were from members of the forum, which may not be essential for running a session.  Some of the guys I am introducing to RM2 asked me which books they should buy in order to prepare for gaming.  While the essentials are great, I also included some "favorites" as well.  Which for me... are my "essentials" in addition to the ones necessary for running a session.

Elemental Companion:  My RM world is strictly Elementalism.  There are no other magics in the world.  With the thousands of spells to chose from, it's far more manageable to find some way to limit the deluge of information and lists to work with for a new player.  When I first started playing RM, the group had already set up a strictly Elemental world and I've always loved it.  This is by far my favorite book.  Everything about the book was so well set up from the histories, to the planes, to the creatures, the examples throughout the book, the crit tables, and so on that I've just sat and read through it just to be lost in the Elemental world.  It's purely enjoyable read and feels more like a story book than a Companion.

Heroes and Rogues:  I was the only one in my group who bought this Companion and I was mocked for wasting my money.  "Why can't you just make your own NPC's?  Why do you need a book of NPC's?"  I've pulled so much info from this book over so many dozens of sessions it's been a great book to have.  An example of the basic Professions, with stats for various levels of NPC development, with items and a great story line to explain the history and the path each character took to get to that final level.  I've made campaigns based off different NPC's from this book, using some or all of the background story.  My daughter now has the Ghost Armor which is non-encumbering and protects as AT16.  She loves it because it makes her look like she's wearing a ghost.  It's her favorite item in the game.  It's an excellent resource to pull an "emergency"  level 7 monk, or level 10 ranger when the story line takes an unplanned twist.

Arms Companion:  Just when you thought all of the possible options have been exhausted, Arms Companion comes out with a wealth of new options, items, charts, and info.  Maybe I'm partially jaded since I've always preferred non-spell users, or maybe there's just sooooooooo much out there for the spell users, that it was nice to have one book dedicated to the hands-on characters.

Creatures and Treasures I:  What can I say?  It's the best of the three, IMHO.  I love reading through this book and just dreaming up campaigns based on items that catch my eye.  My daughter is 12 and she's started looking over C&T1 and planning out her own campaigns based on something that she would like to have.

If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Favorite RM2 Comapnaion
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 03:47:05 PM »
 I like War Law and converted it for use in my RMSS game.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 07:34:02 PM »
roco I & IV for the back ground options and their point buy costs.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:27:52 PM »
RMCI.  Have never stopped using it. 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 12:18:47 AM »
Wow, well I have pulled a little from everything, but more from RMC IV, V, VI and VII than the first three.  I always tweak the spell lists however to balance better for RMSS.  Or... what is in them is the foundation for the creation of rule house rules.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:38:45 AM »
RMCI.  Have never stopped using it.

For our group, and IMHO, RMC-I and II are "Core books."  You simply can't make a well rounded PC without RMC-II.  RMC-1 has more races and "base" professions and both are simply loaded with what I would call the basics.  RMC-II was a culmination of the 3 core books plus RMC-I and tied everything together nicely.  Those are simply the most important books to have.

I've used RMC-I so much that my pages are all falling out.  The cover is more like a folder for holding the sheets of paper.  Luckily they changed the binding process for RMC-II and it's far more durable.

Are there any supplements or Companions beyond RMC-I that you love digging into?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 07:57:39 AM »
The rest of my favorites are all RMSS (Martial Arts Companion, Channeling Companion, Treasure Companion and Castles and Ruins).  With RMSS skill set, RMCII was set aside after adding some of the spell list to my personal Spell Law.

Arms Companion crit tables are great, as is my favorite Hammer table I like to use with trolls and other big creatures.  The first hit threshold is awful, one of the worst in the game, which provides hidden DB for the PC's while the damage done when a blow lands is impressive.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 09:35:19 AM »
Companion I and Companion III here. I liked II, but it didn't have same feel as the other two. We used War Law from time to time, but I don't consider that a Companion really. After III our opinion was that the companions just didn't relate to what our game was doing so we didn't use them.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:15:05 AM »
Companion I and Companion III here. I liked II, but it didn't have same feel as the other two. We used War Law from time to time, but I don't consider that a Companion really. After III our opinion was that the companions just didn't relate to what our game was doing so we didn't use them.

RMC-II has the "master list" for all the skill costs. "Cost as follows, all other skills as <fill in profession here>" and just look to RMC-II for those costs.  I agree, RMC-II definitely feels like a "utility" book and a necessity for character creation, rather than entertaining story-telling tomes of knowledge the other others seem to have.  It's like Service Pack 1 for Character Creation.

The general opinion of our group seemed to have matched your as well in regards to the Companions.  I think RMC-IV came out. One guy bought it and was wishy-washy on it.  I bought RMC-V and they looked it over, maybe grabbed a couple of ideas but never bought the book, then just looked to me to buy every thing else that came along because I was an RMC addict.  Being in the strictly Elemental world surely tainted their opinions of the Companions as it seemed like re-hashes of existing spell stuff with only Elemental Companion dealing with Elemental magic.  There were plenty of other Companions that were released that offered so much more than spell-user tweaks.

I can't say that I brought much out of RMC-V, VI, VII even though I love the cover art of VII.  I'm going to go back and revisit those books this weekend just to see what I missed.  I know that I really didn't go through them in depth as my PCs were non-spell users and I wasn't GM-ing much at that point.

I love reading my Quellbourne book and I have been looking to really add more to my Shadow World collection now that I have been starting to do more with RM again, and now that my kids are older and really into it, I can maybe use Quellbourne as their own adventure world.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 10:31:49 AM »
See...that's why I didn't use RMC II that much. We totally redid skill costs based on my setting (even reshuffled some skills from secondary to primary and the reverse and changed stats for some of them, too). Once we got done with that, RMC II was really pretty useless to us (unless for some reason we ran a more retro game, but even there the other GM started using the revised costs and professions).

I liked RMC I because it really seemed to be the creation of one major author and reflected the workings of his setting. It was unified. RMC III was useful because it brought in some professions that I still think were imported from other systems (like Warhammer FRP), which was useful for what we were doing with our setting. It also allowed us to create some hybrid concepts (like the graduated Paladin idea and some cleric variations).
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 10:44:41 AM »
Man!  Its hard to narrow down what my favorite would be, since there is always plenty of good stuff in all the companions.
RC1 has some nice classes and intro to Arcane magic - so this is essential.
2 & 3 had a bunch more cool classes and innate stat abilities (Magus, Warlock).
4 had the Enchanter.
5 had the Wizard.
6 had a ton of new options for stats and character development (and Seeker).
7 had the Tarot Mage and Doppleganger.

If I had to choose it would be RC1 I guess because of the introduction of Arcane Magic and the Background Option table.

Mal