Author Topic: Tolkien experts?  (Read 9471 times)

Offline Kanaboshi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Tolkien experts?
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 08:25:41 PM »
1st age games rock!

Yeah, I bet they do.

I've thought about running a high power first age game a number of times. I'm sure it'd be a blast. But, I'd need to do some pretty serious research to get the timeline straight in my brain.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 10:56:35 PM »
Don't know if it'll give you an inspiration or not, but here's a link or a short discussion about a story line I will eventually run in Middle Earth.
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=15779.msg192588#msg192588
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Kanaboshi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 02:22:11 AM »
Don't know if it'll give you an inspiration or not, but here's a link or a short discussion about a story line I will eventually run in Middle Earth.
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=15779.msg192588#msg192588

Thanks, that was an interesting read.

You might try to get your hands on the ICE 2nd Ed MERP book.  It is basically a RM Lite and is pretty much everything you need in that one book.

Yeah, I have what I believe to be MERP 1st Edition Revised, the red paperback with the Angus McBride cover of the fellowship.

I am seriously considering using MERP character creation and just adding Arms Law and (small sections of) Spell Law. The main reason would be to obviate the need to worry about all the RM skills and the stat based development points.

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 03:40:54 PM »
I ran a game of HARP a while back using a Middle Earth campaign.  The players had fun and didn't seem to mind the use of stronger magic.  But I did use the "Risk Factors" and "Corruption" rules from MERP, so the players were a little careful about using powerful magic.  We weren't running a Tolkien pure game, but we had fun, and it made for a good game which did not become unbalanced.   :)
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 10:22:17 PM »
I'm playing in a game in that era and the GM has ruled a few things, I believe it is mostly cannon to the ICE publications.
1/ We don't even know that the Enemy (Souron) still exists
2/ We don't know that the Witch King is a nuzgul, though we are pretty confident that has was a servant of the Enemy.
3/ Any spell cast over 10th level has a chance of drawing notice of the witch king, this is mostly relevant to attack spells; other types of spells are seen as more subtle. You could theoretically cast a non attack spell over several rounds (ie no more than 10 pp / round) to mask it.
The time line is up to us to change, the GM keeps us informed, loosely, about how we are going compared to the official time line. The game started far into the negative, we are now just a little ahead. There are some great rm/ice modules if you can get your hands on them.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline Kanaboshi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2015, 12:26:06 AM »
There are some great rm/ice modules if you can get your hands on them.

There sure are. I'm using the old Angmar, Bree and Cardolan sourcebooks for this game. They're great stuff.

Following the advice received here, I've established that the PCs do not know who or what the Witch King is.

Your house rules sound interesting. Enjoy your game.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 08:05:04 PM »
There are some great rm/ice modules if you can get your hands on them.

There sure are. I'm using the old Angmar, Bree and Cardolan sourcebooks for this game. They're great stuff.

Following the advice received here, I've established that the PCs do not know who or what the Witch King is.

Your house rules sound interesting. Enjoy your game.

+1.  The North.  Rangers pf the North.  Those first modules just screamed ADVENTURE IN ME.  We were the post dungeon player, and we wanted more detail. 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Tolwen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »
I'm planning a one shot game using RM2 (minus several of the magic using classes,) set in Middle Earth. This is intended to convince my Pathfinder obsessed group that it might be sometimes a good idea to play a bit of Rolemaster also.

I'm setting the game in Third Age 1700 in Arnor and was curious to know, at this stage, were the people of Middle Earth aware of the Witch King's identity as a Nazgul? Or was he just a mysterious sorcerer whose origins were unknown?
Hi, I know it's been a while since this has been asked and there are already a numbver of answers, but you might find this supplementary info useful as well :)

In Issue 7 of Other Minds Magazine, there has been an article about the Angmarrim as a people, Issue 9 has one on Religion in Angmar and Issue 13 has a long treatise on population in Eriador (and Angmar).

In short, IMO there might be some suspicion that he is a Nazgûl, but by this time Angmar is not likely to pose as an overt "Evil Empire" like a Mordor-in-miniature, but more as an "alternative" for people disgruntled with the Dúnedain and carving its own "place in the sun" against the former. The real "evilness" of Angmar is likely to begin about 100-150 years later and then being finally revealed in full in the 20th century.

Cheers
Tolwen

P.S.: On the Other Minds website (see my signature) you may also find PDF versions of Chris Seeman's old 'Other Hands' magazine if you're looking for any of that stuff (I got full permission from him to do that BTW).
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Other Minds now also on Facebook!

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2015, 11:06:15 AM »
I have all the Other Hands and Other Minds issues and have found them to be an extremely valuable resource for my "Middle Earth" games.
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!

Offline Kanaboshi

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 12:49:37 AM »

Hi, I know it's been a while since this has been asked and there are already a numbver of answers, but you might find this supplementary info useful as well :)

In Issue 7 of Other Minds Magazine, there has been an article about the Angmarrim as a people, Issue 9 has one on Religion in Angmar and Issue 13 has a long treatise on population in Eriador (and Angmar).

Cheers
Tolwen

Thanks, Tolwen. Looks like some interesting reading there. I look forward to going through it more carefully over the weekend.

Offline Tolwen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2015, 03:33:36 PM »
Good to hear that you find them useful Alwyn and Kanaboshi. If you have any questions, there's always an email address provided in an article or the next post in a forum is also not far away ;)

Cheers
Tolwen
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Other Minds now also on Facebook!