Author Topic: Gen Con 2014  (Read 21581 times)

Offline BeggarKing (Thomas)

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
    • Wandering Monster Studios
Re: Gen Con 2014
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2014, 11:04:52 PM »
My events still haven't been approved, so I'm not sure if I will get the chance to run them. Waiting to hear back from the gencon folks...
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 12:45:44 PM »
So, we've got six of us going in this thread (OldMan, Pytotech, BeggarKing, Wolfhound, Bruce, and Me).  Anyone else?

I know schedules might make it impossible (I've got four hours of events after the dealer hall closes every day but Sunday), but I was thinking of trying to arrange a dinner for the forum members.  Maybe once event sales go through would be a better time to discuss that.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »
My events still haven't been approved, so I'm not sure if I will get the chance to run them. Waiting to hear back from the gencon folks...
I"m curious, did you get your events in  before the deadline?  I'm wondering if some of the events showing up late are due to late submissions or the GenCon guys/gals just not being able to get them all in quicker (not saying they aren't doing a good job... just curious).
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 01:38:12 PM »
Getting together would be great if we can arrange it.  Would be great to meet other members of the forums here.  Especially Cory, since we had chatted a couple of times by email back when you were writing Channeling Companion back in the late 90's (if I'm remembering the timing correctly). 

Beggarking had posted that he submitted his before the deadline.  I was hoping to as well and saw his posting go up here mid-day if I remember correctly the last day of the deadline, whereas I didn't get mine entered until the following day.
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »
I'd be glad to say hi to the other forum members.  I'm still mad I never got a chance to swing by for the RMU game ran last year.

Once all the registration is done I'll have to check my availability.

Now I've got to download the event spreadsheet and start culling it down to a list of events to try for.
-Pyrotech

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 02:39:16 PM »
If nothing else and no one can get an RM/HARP game of any type approved by the GenCon staff, then maybe we can heist an unused table somewhere for a semi-private session with those of us who are able to attend, even if it is after the normal hours for such or in a more public location.
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 06:10:32 PM »
I may be available, pending whatever my wife and I are doing at the time.

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2014, 06:18:58 PM »
Let's see what everyone event schedule ends up being, that'll probably indicate what the best day/time will be to shoot for.

I'm guessing, if everyone is flying out late Sunday or on Monday, that Sunday might be the easiest time to grab dinner or just drinks someplace.  But we'll see how everyone schedule works out.
- Cory Magel

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2014, 11:33:07 PM »
It would be great to meet up at Gencon - lets definitely plan on something once schedules start to firm up.
Cory, I did submit some events before the deadline (and some after) - haven't heard yet on any of them...
Adventurer walks into a bar with Flint and Steel. Bartender says, "Don't start anything."

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2014, 11:52:17 PM »
I'm game, unless it is late Sunday. I am not exactly sure what time we will be heading back up here to northern Indiana but the three of us have to work on Monday. Having a drink together is good regardless, even if we are able to get everyone together for a dinner.

I'm a Gencon newb though and I'm not the one planning what events to attend, except for a few here and there like RMU or HARP if either eventually show up on the list. I know he plans on signing us all up for the Weiss Hickman breakfast and the true dungeon event.  I am planning on attending a game of Victoriana (Childhood best friend is running it) and maybe a Svage Worlds game....not sure what else is there worth looking at.

Next year though I plan on either running a HARP Fantasy or SF event. Right now I am working on a HARP SF demo that if I am able to complete it will be a definite contender for me to run. It's a horror scenario (think Aliens meets Deadspace meets the Island of Dr. Moreau and then some). I am currently at a roadblock though because there are no alien creatures or robots listed in the HARP SF books. I don't have the time to develop anything and I am debating on simply "winging" the creature creation by just giving the creatures the numbers and abilities I believe will work for this game. But if I do that then it wouldn't really be a true HARP demo.

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2014, 12:33:28 AM »
FYI - browsing through the GM/EO forums, as of 5/12.
All currently pending events should be handled in the coming weeks, not not everything (particularly any late submissions) may not be processed before Sunday.

K- lots of nots in that sentence, but looks like they will be processing for a few weeks still.

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2014, 09:25:37 PM »
Confirmed today that my events just haven't been processed yet, and it will be a couple of weeks. 

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2014, 08:40:24 AM »
well that sucks. I hope they don't coincide with any of the other "must go to events" I am planning on attending. I will have some flexibility but this is also my first Gencon. Then again HARP and RMU are "must go to events" for me. We'll see.

Bruce

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2014, 03:20:50 PM »
I've set my events for Friday afternoon (1,3,and 5pm are the slots I asked for) - but no guarantees that I'll get those. Will post here once they get approved (if they get approved).

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2014, 05:25:58 PM »
I put in for late 3-hour long slots at 7:00pm and 10:00pm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings for RMU.  But with the submissions being late, not sure that they will be accepted.  But with being that late they may due to not many people submitting things that late in the evenings (at least not last year), but at the same time with being that late may not see many people actually sign up either. 

I'm also running them such that it will be possible to participate in multiple sessions (if they get approved).  Unlike last year where I had all 6 sessions (4 hours each last year) the same "Adventure" with a point system to rank how each group does (and improving prizes for the better rankings), this year I was going to have it be more of an open choice with a few plot-hooks available and the players being able to decide which one they wanted to pursue.  This year I'm also setting it up with a minimum of 2 players and a maximum of 4 players per session (last year it was 6 players each), with the intent of each player being a bigger part and with more interaction for each player to try to make it more interesting.  Last year there were times when it almost got too bogged down with 6 people in most of the sessions. 

Beggarking, how many player slots are you planning to have in each of your sessions?  Hoping I might be able to sit in on one since we are running at different times and I'm actually going to buy some tickets to play this year, unlike last year. 

P.S., on second thought, since you are hoping to aim at new players, maybe I'll just swing by your sessions to possibly help explain things to anyone who might have trouble with understanding it.

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +40/-40
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2014, 11:16:18 PM »
Beggarking, how many player slots are you planning to have in each of your sessions?  Hoping I might be able to sit in on one since we are running at different times and I'm actually going to buy some tickets to play this year, unlike last year. 

I just put in for one table (6 players at each event). I thought about 8 but would rather keep it small and make sure everyone has enough time to really participate.

Wolfhound - Help or participation would be great  :D - I can try to do the same for one of your events but my evenings look to be pretty booked at this point.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2014, 01:56:24 AM »
Likewise, I'd be happy to lend a hand and observe, but I tend to book as much as I can Thurs-Fri after 6pm in order to maximize my time at Gen Con.  If any of those slots fall through I'll show up though.
- Cory Magel

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »
So is everyone who is running a game running RMU? No HARP Fantasy or SF? It will work for me. I just hope I can catch them when they show up in the events. I was available Friday evening until my friend Pete put us all in the the legendary drunk#$% party. So we will see how capable everyone is Saturday morning...lol. Saturday evening we are supposed to go to this intro to sword fighting. That goes until 9 pm, after that is great. Thursday evening is a 5 hr Mage game. sounds cool but I would replace that for RMU or HARP.

Bruce

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2014, 02:37:24 AM »
Paranoia
Numenera
Star Wars: (New system).
X-Wing
Wings of Glory and Sails of Glory
Space Hulk
Wow, disappointing.  That's what my end result looked like initially.  Worst I've done with event registration at Gen Con.  Not a single slot to be found for Paranoia, Numenera, Star Wars or X-Wing (other than the tournament, which I couldn't do).  All the stuff I did get was after dealer hall hours, which surprised me a bit.
- Cory Magel

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2014, 10:50:39 AM »
Yeah it kind of sucked. I had planned on the Victoriana game that  my childhood best friend is running. The three of us put in for all three registered games as top priority and none were approved. Walt and I hadn't gamed together since like 1989! Truth be told none of us got any of the events we really wanted to get. I even hit the register events button the second it was active. I ended up being 4000+ in line. I just hope I can actually get into the ICE games when and if they become active.

What exactly are dealer hall hours?

Bruce