Author Topic: Spread Burst or Tracking Shot: What's the point?  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Aotrs Commander

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spread Burst or Tracking Shot: What's the point?
« on: June 09, 2015, 06:14:12 PM »
As I am tidying up my activity system for the umpteeth time, I recall I never have dealt with this particular proud nail.

What exactly is the point of Spread Burst/Tracking Shot? It doesn't seem to do anything positive compared to a single shot. It reduces your OB drastically but gives you a fixed bonus (which makes... no sense), reduces what criticals you get, and does not change the type of critical, it doesn't affect multiple targets or suppress anything... Strictly, it is inferior to single-shot.

Now, granted, if your OB is low (below 60), it might give you some benefit... But I then don't understand what it actually is modelling. And, principally, why the thing that it is modelling should, at a certain level of skill, become something that nobody with that level of skill ever does because a single shot is better.

I am thus considering whether to simply remove it altogether (little point taking up space on the QR sheet for an option nobody will ever use.)

Thoughts/suggestions/comments?

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: Spread Burst or Tracking Shot: What's the point?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 12:04:03 PM »
I inherited it, so I can't swear to what the original author was thinking, but I've always told players that it is meant for unskilled combatants. If you pick up a gun for the first time and need to kill something, this is the action for you.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 10:10:52 PM »
Can you provide a reference to where this is in the books? I am assuming it is a SM:P rather than SM2, because I don't remember anything about this in SM2.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 05:49:05 AM »
Spread Shot is nothing more than Suppression, or Cover Fire.

Tracking Shot is used when a target is moving and/or trying to evade being shot.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.