Author Topic: New base spell list for bards - Bardic Inspiration  (Read 1390 times)

Offline liquidfish

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New base spell list for bards - Bardic Inspiration
« on: October 25, 2017, 10:55:43 AM »
I've been watching the D&D 5E game podcast  Critical Role on YouTube and I'm fascinated by the Scanlan character and the Bard ability to give inspiration. I've got a new character joining a campaign playing a bard, and I wanted to recreate that ability but give it a RM feel, so this is a list I put together. Would love feedback on balance, whether bonuses should start at +5 maybe instead of +10, or other spell ideas that might be a good fit. Thanks!

Still working on an idea for the level 50 spell as well.

Bardic Inspiration
This spell list allows the Bard to inspire his allies in combat or other activities through the use of music, verse, prose or performance.

1 - Bardic Inspiration (F*) D: Until Used R: 50'   Target receives +10 to any one future roll as long as it is used before the character rests.

2 - Cutting Note (F*) D: Until next roll R: 50'   Target receives -10 to its next roll.

3 - Bardic Relief (H*) D: Immediate R: 50'   Target is immediately relieved of 1 round of accumulated stun effects.

4 - Mass Bardic Inspiration D: One round R: 50' All allies in the radius get +5 to one roll on their next action. Spellcasters with multiple-round castings can hold over the +5 until their spell is cast.

5 - Bardic Inspiration II (F*) D: Until Used R: 50'   Target receives +15 to any one future roll as long as it is used before the character rests.

6 - Cutting Note II (F*) D: Until Used R: 50'   Target receives -15 to its next roll.

7 - Bardic Song of Rest (F*) D: Immediate R: 50'   All in range of the song regain 1-10 concussion points.

9 - Bardic Relief II (H*) D: Immediate R: 50'   Target is immediately relieved of 2 rounds of accumulated stun effects.

10 - Bardic Inspiration III (F*) D: Until Used R: 50'   Target receives +25 to any one future roll as long as it is used before the character rests.

11 -  Mass Bardic Inspiration II D: One round R: 50' All allies in the radius get +10 to one roll on their next action. Spellcasters with multiple-round castings can hold over the +10 until their spell is cast.

12 - Cutting Note III (F*) D: Until next roll R: 50'   Target receives -25 to its next roll.

13 - Bardic Inspiration IV (F*) D: Until Used R: Self'   The bard receives +10 to any one future roll as long as it is used before the character rests.

15 - Bardic Inspiration True I (F*) D: Until Used R: 50'   Target receives +10 to any one future roll as long as it is used within two days.

16 - Bardic Relief III (H*) D: Immediate R: 50'   Target is immediately relieved of 3 rounds of accumulated stun effects.

17 - Bardic Inspiration V (F*) D: Until Used R: Self'   The bard receives +10 to any one future roll as long as it is used before the character rests.

18 -  Mass Bardic Inspiration III D: One round R: 50' All allies in the radius get +25 to one roll on their next action. Spellcasters with multiple-round castings can hold over the +25 until their spell is cast.

20 - Bardic Inspiration True II (F*) D: Until Used R: 50'   Target receives +15 to any one future roll as long as it is used within two days.

25 - Bardic Inspiration VI (F*) D: Until Used R: Self'   The bard receives +15 to any one future roll as long as it is used within two days.

50 - Bardic Inspiration Mastery

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New base spell list for bards - Bardic Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 02:57:44 PM »
I like it! I've found the Rolemaster Bard a bit hard to get into, but this is the sort of thing I can work with.

As for balance issues, I think the spells are fine for RM2/RMC, because spellcasters have relatively few PPs. For RMU, though, balance might be an issue because spellcasters have more PPs, so spells like Bardic Inspiration (1 PP) are going to be trivial to cast.

You might also add the stipulation to some of the spells that the target must be able to hear the Bard (assuming the Bard is using music/singing to Inspire the target).
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline liquidfish

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 03:51:19 PM »
Thanks Hurin, I've always felt the same way about the Bard! We're playing RMC, so I'm not too concerned about the number of power points, but I'll probably find out soon enough. I'll definitely add that the target must be able to hear the bard.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:20:43 PM »
Yeah, from a RMSS and RMU standpoint, +5 seems more appropriate for the 1st level spell if you can save the benefit for later (it doesn't have to be cast during combat). I would also change the class to Utility for the beneficial spells on the list.

On the other hand, I think the penalties are too small for Cutting Note, considering the target gets an RR and the range is pretty short. Taken as a whole, the weak offense might balance out the fairly potent boosts to make an ok list as you have written it. Or you could increase the penalties for Cutting Note (by 3x to 4x I think), or keep them at the listed levels but they last as long as the bard is playing, etc.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline MrApollinax

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 07:32:15 PM »
Nice list. Agree with the comments above. On a related note, I'd like to see a Cantor/Holy Bard profession that draws power from the Channeling realm and uses song as a tool in the service of their deity, with applications against the unrighteous and buffering/coordinating the faithful. As far as I know, RM has never had such a profession.
Author, HARP Garden of Rain.
Tales of the New Kingdoms (blog)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »
Nice list. Agree with the comments above. On a related note, I'd like to see a Cantor/Holy Bard profession that draws power from the Channeling realm and uses song as a tool in the service of their deity, with applications against the unrighteous and buffering/coordinating the faithful. As far as I know, RM has never had such a profession.

I was saying something similar: i saww ot as more of a western style monk. It could have good costs in things like herbalism, medicine, singing, etc. I thi k that would be neat.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline liquidfish

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 09:44:35 PM »
Thank you all for the feedback, I'll give it some more thought before implementation, especially Cutting Note (thanks for the thoughts on that jdale).

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 09:59:01 PM »
I think JDale is on the money on that one too; you really could increase the penalty for that spell.

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 08:47:12 AM »
I like the list but you might want to consider adjusting the radius a bit. This would be more consistent with other RM spell lists. Maybe the first level spell is a 10' radius etc.? Just my 2 cents but looks good.