Author Topic: Stacking blur with X  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Lorgalis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Stacking blur with X
« on: November 19, 2017, 06:51:07 PM »
Hi

I have a venturer from combat companion in my party. He cast one of his spells, fluid combat (+15 OB and DB), and then the magician wanted to cast a blur on him as well. Would you let the venturer get the full effect of both spells? We ruled that they don't stack, but one spell makes his moves really fluid and the other makes it harder to hit him because of the way he appears to the eye. The only reason not to let them stack is because DB spells don't stack.

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: Stacking blur with X
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 01:47:16 AM »
I would allow them to stack.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 04:00:52 AM »
I think it states in spell law that blur doesn't stack with aura spells.
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 05:53:19 AM »
I think it states in spell law that blur doesn't stack with aura spells.

That is correct.

I'm not aware of any rules in RM stating that DB bonuses don't stack. Like spells don't stack (you can only get a bonus from one aura, for example) and spells with contradictory effects don't stack (eg, blur and aura), but if you're getting a bonus for being more graceful (fluid combat) and another for being harder to see (blur) I don't see why both wouldn't apply.

The only issue with DB is allowing a lot of permanent-effect DB increasing items (+20 armour, +20 shield and +20 ring of defense add up to some pretty absurd bonuses).

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 10:34:34 AM »
If the fluid movement spell was interpreted as raising his QU to give the +15 DB, then it's perfectly reasonable to allow it to stack with Blur.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 01:45:41 AM »
Depending upon the game, most have houserules regarding stacking bonuses.
For my games, I would allow stacking but at a half bonus for everything after the highest bonus item.

It keeps the economy going for magic items at higher levels - if you buy and sell 'em - but also allows for combat parrying to still be relevant later on for foes where a PC would otherwise have a +40 bonus from a +20 and two +10 items, they instead turn into a +20 total instead.