Author Topic: "Ruins of Kausar" module question  (Read 9016 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
"Ruins of Kausar" module question
« on: June 10, 2009, 06:54:46 PM »
Does this module assume you have already gone through the series of adventures available in the vault? Just wondering.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: "Ruins of Kausar" module question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »
The adventures in the Vault are not official adventures, so this module does not take them into account.

The module does make reference to Sefnar (one of the adventure seeds from Cyradon), but does not presume that you have been through it or that it has been accomplished either.

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 04:27:33 AM »
However, looking at the levels of the characters it seems to fit perfectly if you want to play the unoffical ones from the vault first, also the story could start right after "Reawakened Lands". At least that was my idea after the first glance.

And on a side note, I looks VERY well organized, I can't wait to have the time to completly read it ;D

Offline Thos

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 01:56:39 PM »
Is this going to be a PDF only product, or will it see print?
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine. Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief. Because I am the spirit of their existence. I am them.

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 03:33:42 PM »
Hi,

p18: "If the ghost has been dealt with and dispatched, then they see the vision he witnessed before he died".

The text below this (last sentence) gives the impression, that by dispatching the ghost it is possible to get a glimpse of the monster without having fought the monster. But above it is stated that you can not dispatch the ghost without killing the monster.

Is this a logic error or am I missing something?

BR Juergen

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 03:50:13 PM »
The ghost can be "killed" and it will reform in 24 hours. The ghost can be permanently killed using magic. The ghost can also be "dispatched" in the manner described. So 3 ways to dispatch the ghost, and 2 of them are permanent, while one is not....

In short, if the party "kills" the ghost in any manner (i.e. does not let it get away when it tries to run), then they will get the vision...

Offline Mungo

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 04:06:53 PM »
Thanks.

This is a great product and I would love to see more of this! It is a nice adventure, it is well structured, well described, has nice maps, brings the story of Cyradon forward, introduces new creatures and has hooks for the next adventure.

What would have been nice f.e. were stats for Seargent Trevis. I was also a bit confused by seeing the Manticore's stats several times.

Concerning the Cyradon adventures in the vault: I would love to see them made "official". I would pay for an official version, even if there were only minor or no adaptation. Or you could make them available for free via the store as teasers for people new to HARP.

BR Juergen

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 07:10:01 AM »
Hiya All,

Just looked at the final product and its Fantastic to see my work completed and in full colour!   ;D

The maps are fantastic! My Thanks and Complements to Tim, Sherry, Bruce, Heike and Michael K. Turney for the Interior Maps and Cover Map. Your artwork is superb!  :worthy: Apologies to others I've forgotten to mention (and who have had a hand in its coming to life!)

Woerie, Yes it DOES fit in well doesnt it?
Mungo, thank you for your kind words!

--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 08:12:22 AM »
What character levels is the module designed for?
I want to get this very badly, but my money is funny right now....
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 08:14:10 AM »
it is for 4-6 characters of levels 3-6.

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 08:37:06 AM »
Why not make every adventure statted for all ICE games as a matter of course?    You would greatly increase the potential customer base.   I would have definitely bought it had it been for RM.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 09:55:42 AM »
Why not make every adventure statted for all ICE games as a matter of course?    You would greatly increase the potential customer base.   I would have definitely bought it had it been for RM.

That is one thing that we are looking into. However, putting all stats in one really inflates the product, and differences between the systems makes the wording of some things extremely problematic.

Offline gamerprinter

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Gamer Printshop
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 04:33:01 PM »
Glad to hear, my maps are a success for Kaursur! I'm glad you liked it, Jason!

GP
Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting and adventure arcs.

RPG Map Printing service

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 02:31:53 AM »
I finally managed to read it. Great adventure, nice maps, very well structured and it fits perfectly :)
Great job - I can't wait to resurrect my Cyradon campaign!

One very small question, the sacale of the woodland map is missing. Is it 1 hex = 3' or 6'?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 06:38:02 AM »
One very small question, the sacale of the woodland map is missing. Is it 1 hex = 3' or 6'?

I would say 3' -- otherwise that is a HUGE campfire....   ;D

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 07:10:23 AM »
Is this module going to be available in book form?
Also, what is the page count?

Thanks!
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 07:19:24 AM »
Hi RWW,

I'd like to see it in book form too (for obvious reasons!) but its a PDF only atm...
(Maybe if enough people ask for it ;) )

PS: Page count is 34 pages
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • from the pits of T'is K'ali to the starclad sky..
    • myspace
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 02:58:49 PM »
However, putting all stats in one really inflates the product, and differences between the systems makes the wording of some things extremely problematic.

With the webzine Order of d100 we're providing multi stat adventures, since we met the problem you're talking about we decide to use "general" words for skills and after more dettailed informations like

"To solve the riddle you need to do a -20 culture maneuver (RM: lore general; HARP: mundane lore)"
so we first put a general term that give the idea of the skill, after that a detailled entry.

it requires more work but only until you get into the "mood". problems can arise bacause of the more heroic feel of harp, RM are supposed to be more deadly than their harp counterparts.

Regarding stats we're still looking for a "perfect" way to avoid taking too much place.. probably we'll put only the key skill and stats in the future avoiding to put all the data for every PNC.

Italian fanzine for the d100 rpg

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 07:24:26 AM »
it requires more work but only until you get into the "mood". problems can arise bacause of the more heroic feel of harp, RM are supposed to be more deadly than their harp counterparts.

Exactly! Its very hard to write the adventure without using some terms that your aware of, and to write it up such that other systems might be able to use it....

Some section have to be left out entirely because different systems have such different ways of handling it -

Regarding stats we're still looking for a "perfect" way to avoid taking too much place.. probably we'll put only the key skill and stats in the future avoiding to put all the data for every PNC.

I will credit ICE with the Ruins of Kausur adventure for bolding every section that required a maneuver roll of some kind so that you could easily see when a roll was required. It will make it VERY easy to convert to your RMx version for someone. The idea of bolding it is a fantastic idea and means that the GM can read it once and knows that he just has to watch for this section here to make a particular roll or series of rolls...

Once again, a Great idea! (Rasyr, if this was you, you'll get an Idea point! LOL!  :D)

--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 12:47:04 PM »
Just picked it up and it's great! A perfect tie in with the free adventures in the Vault!

Hey!
Would anybody other than me like to see some Cyradon books like the old MERP books?
www.strategypage.com