Author Topic: Where to from here?  (Read 3688 times)

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
  • Ask me about the Rolemastery blog.
    • My homepage
Where to from here?
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:14:01 AM »
I know that there are more reginal books in the works, but I was thinking it would be fun to sit down and brainstorm some of the potential companions and other additions to the Rolemaster Rome corpus.

For example: I'd like to see a supplement dedicated to the army, with detailed maps of sample camps, details of the career progression of an average soldier, details of punishments and other daily life aspects, as well as sample NPCs, adventure hooks, suggestions & guidelines for running an army campaign, timeline of military campaigns, and so forth.

I'd also like to see more detail of the various religions, with details to such topics as superstitio, omens, monstrum, etcetera, a very detailed listing of the gods and even suggestions for stats etcetera for when GMs want the gods to manifest & interact with the players.

Even something similar to a detailed C&M for the setting, with encounter tables keyed to the setting (where would one encounter a herring for example?).

So: what would you ideally like to see for the setting? What would make it a great place to game in?
Formerly: ghyle.

Rolemastery blog: http://rolemastery.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
Re: Where to from here?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 04:07:26 AM »
I would like to see specifics on gladiatorial arenas and combat. A pure focus on the running, training and styles of fighting found in that era.
Whenever I introduced people to RM I always did a gladiatorial arena combat scenario. Needless to say they loved it and realised how lethal it was.

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 04:12:12 AM »
Sounds great; would you be interested also in stats for various creatures fought, if not found elsewhere in the RM material?

Offline Ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 04:35:27 AM »
I guess stats for creatures would be helpful if they didn't already exist. Actually even if they were in other editions it would still be beneficial to have them grouped in a Rome companion or what have you.
Have a single edition with it all in one convenient book.

Offline PhillipAEllis

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +30/-30
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 09:23:28 PM »
I've brought up the question of dedicated bestiaries in another thread.

What about, following on from a comment elsewhere about seeing spell lists unique to the setting, working on the magic system, so that there are spells and magic rituals fleshed out that are unique (so to speak) to the setting, and that reflect the sort of powers and abilities reputed to be possessed by Classical professions?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 07:47:01 AM »
 Yes IMHO spell lists unique to setting would be a huge selling point to the system.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 11:46:27 AM »
I wonder if there would be a way to integrate the Rome material with the Rolemaster: Mythic Greece supplement? Maybe rules for Heroic Roman characters too?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle