Author Topic: ERA Feature Poll  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA Feature Poll
« on: February 12, 2016, 06:33:22 AM »
As I continue developing features and packages for ERA, I find myself interested in what would be of most interest to the users.
So I decided to create 2 polls: Features and Packages.

If you currently use ERA, or have interest in using it, or discarded using it because it lacked some feature, please let me know by voting (and also post with more details if you want).

The options are based on previous suggestions in the forum, requests from my group, and my own ideas for the future.
If you have additional ideas, suggestions for more options, do post about them.

Features:
Creature Module: create, store, and load monsters and simple NPCs during an adventure. This would allow RMC and RMFRP Creatures and Monsters to be offered as a package.
Extended Professions: customize those included in the packages with more categories, change default costs, etc.
Training Package Module: create TPs to be readily available when purchasing them during level up. This would include gaining ranks and rolling for stat gains. Eventually the existing packages would be updated to include their corresponding TPs.
Character inventory: allow individual characters to purchase and manage acquired items, without involving them in a campaign (currently inventory is managed in the Adventure Module).
Custom Stat Bonus: to input your house ruled Temp->Bonus tables.
Custom Development Points Formula: to input your house ruled Stats,Level->DP tables.
Travel Module: load a map image, choose a path, conditions, and compute traveling distance and time.
Herald improvements: allow players to send private messages to the GM from their smartphones/tablets (currently only allows GM to message players).
Custom round length + Measure conversion: to allow for those playing with shorter/longer rounds, and also allow input of height and weight in different units/systems.
Tutorial Videos: At least one per module, several for Adventuring to cover the different features.
Customization manuals: similar to what was done for RMC Character Law, I would create details to cover how to apply the different optional rules and classical house rules when configuring ERA.
ERA ICE Server: public (paid monthly?) server which would store your campaign adventures and characters, so that you can access it remotely and never worry about updates.
Other: your own ideas posted below.

Offline Malleable

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA Feature Poll
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:28:36 AM »
I have bought all the ERA packages, and will continue to because I want ERA to continue to have funds to develop more packages.
But until it covers Arcane Companion, Channeling Companion, Essence Companion and Mentalism Companion I can't really use the program.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 05:34:40 PM »
until it covers Arcane Companion, Channeling Companion, Essence Companion and Mentalism Companion I can't really use the program.
Is this because of the professions, spell lists, all of them, or something else in those books?

For those who voted for the Creature Module, please check the latest version of ERA, which includes 2 sample creatures that you can add as NPCs during the adventures (see the announcement here). It would be great to know what you think of the way it works, and how you would like for it to improve in the future.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 12:10:01 PM »
As Malleable above, I use the FULL ruleset (RMSS/RMFRP) with custom rules from RM2, RMC, Guild Companion web, other publications, own creations, etc etc.

The main feature needed for any software relating to Rolemaster is, as I am always stating, FULL costomizability.
Software supports attacks? Cool. Let me add weapons. Software support spell casting? Cool. Let me add spell lists. Software supports Chargen? Cool. Let me add races, professions, training packages, and skills. Software supports equipment, inventory, and treasure? Cool. Let me edit everything.

So far there is already a large collection of threads on this forum covering ERA. I tried searching them for info on what is customizable and how. When I find out, I may buy ERA. For now, I'm kind of on the fence. I bought Combat Minion licenses (both of them), All books ever published in softcover form, every available pdf in the old ICE store, most pdfs from rpgnow (those that were updated),  and finally RMC for Fantasy Grounds. I'm fine with all that of course. However, none of the software products completely covers my needs, all of them for the same reason; lack of customizability.

My question, therefore, is this: Will ERA let me add races, cultures, training packages, professions, weapons, skills, spell lists, and whatever else I need?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 06:08:23 PM »
My question, therefore, is this: Will ERA let me add races, cultures, training packages, professions, weapons, skills, spell lists, and whatever else I need?

You can add any skill to any character, from within the application.
Training packages can be purchased, but in the current version this just means clicking on "Buy TP" then entering a name and a cost, and you have to manually add the ranks to the character.

By editing XML configuration files, you can add your own races, cultures, professions, attacks, criticals, spell lists, fumbles, creatures, background option descriptions and the skill list that is assigned for default for all new characters (along with the stats that influence their bonus).
If you are willing to create all of the professions from scratch, you can even define your own skill groups and categories.

There are some tutorial videos online, and some customization documents (the latter are mostly for RMC and slightly out of date).
Also, there is a special forum thread to ask customization questions and request new customization features.

I am always eager to learn what features are needed the most by current and potential users. Sometimes a missing feature is just a line of code away for me ( the reverse is also true  :-\ ), so when in doubt just ask.

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 12:58:06 AM »
By the sound of it, it's worth a try ;)

I'll buy the RMFRP version and test it, then tell you what I think.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 06:30:27 AM »
I'll buy the RMFRP version and test it, then tell you what I think.
While I appreciate any additional income, remember that the base product is free, both for RMC and RMFRP. The idea with ERA is that if you already own the RM books, and are willing to edit your own XML files (though they certainly will be a lot), you need not spend any more money to use it for your campaign.
It comes with 2 or 3 files for each concept, so that you can try out all the features, before purchasing any package.