Author Topic: Martial Arts Multiple Attack Rules with Normal Weapons?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Martial Arts Multiple Attack Rules with Normal Weapons?
« on: March 08, 2017, 01:15:34 PM »
So, any reason not to allow the MA multiple attack rules in AL/CL with all weapons? I know that MA were all the rage in the 80s but I don't really see why it should be singled out.

That and most of the other multiple attack rules in RM have been kinda blah...

What breaks if you do this?

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Martial Arts Multiple Attack Rules with Normal Weapons?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 02:21:23 PM »
Our group allowed it with any weapon and nothing seemed break.  We just made the player calculate the numbers for Weapon Kata so the GM wouldn't have to do a ton of math.  Arms Companion may have more specifics and more restrictions if you want to include those in your game world.  Only two players I know used Weapon Kata in all the years I've been playing.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Tywyll

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 02:26:09 PM »
Sorry, I don't think I was clear.

What I meant was, why not give that same ability to someone with Longsword or Warhammer as a means of handling multiple attacks.

Offline vector

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »
Check out the Martial Arts Companion and the weapon style rules. I'm sure they could be adapted to RMC/RM2.

Would anything break? I don't think so, as long as the rules are uniform across the players and the NPCs. It could make for faster, more deadly combats, but maybe that is the feature you are looking for, and not a bug?

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 06:47:39 AM »
Sorry, I don't think I was clear.

What I meant was, why not give that same ability to someone with Longsword or Warhammer as a means of handling multiple attacks.

We did give the same ability to non-martial artist PCs with "traditionally non-martial artist weapons."  My PC (Cavalier) use 2H Battle Axe with weapon kata and the other player (Rogue) used a Falchion with weapon kata.  There are near identical equivalent weapons in the Martial Arts world/culture/setting that it was easy to allow.  Flail, not so much, but Morning Star, yes.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 11:53:24 AM »
Check out the Martial Arts Companion and the weapon style rules. I'm sure they could be adapted to RMC/RM2.

Would anything break? I don't think so, as long as the rules are uniform across the players and the NPCs. It could make for faster, more deadly combats, but maybe that is the feature you are looking for, and not a bug?
I just recently went through and made a stack of MA and weapon styles for my campaign world, using the MAC rules as a basis. I had to do a fair bit of work to incorporate several of the other skills and special abilities MAC allows, but RM2 doesn't have. That wouldn't be necessary for all styles, though. The only other hard part was setting development costs for the styles.
I haven't run the game yet with any players using the styles, but I don't see much way for them to break something. Given the requirement to train both the weapon and the style, they're not going to be super common.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.