Author Topic: Those six Irgaak swords  (Read 2627 times)

Offline JakeM.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Formerly an Angelic elven warrior, now a dad.
Those six Irgaak swords
« on: May 03, 2017, 06:54:40 AM »
Hello.
I am 40+ guy who as a teenager chose dice over chicks.
Today, I'd still make the same choice, but there was add 20years in between that my thought were twisted by those...creatures!

Anyway: Recent discussion with an old hack'n slash friend of mine turned to those six infamous irgaak sword forged by elven smith before turning evil. Blue laen Luinguruth was his most famous work.
Anyway. " the swords were said to be able to summon ' the harvest of fools ' ". Sounded cool then, sounds cool now.

Pleace can somebody tell me just were to find the exact stats and info of these! Or just write it here.

This of course happened in Merp/Rolemaster settings. It wasn't any Shadow World stuff although we had those modules as well.
It is one of ICEs ( then ) own storylines in middle earth because I've never found anything in relation in any of the Tolkien originals.

Thanks in advance!
Dibs on that broadsword!

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
Re: Those six Irgaak swords
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 07:14:32 AM »
They look to be in Treasures of Middle Earth. It appears he forged Luinguruth, named after himself, before turning to evil, the Irgaak swords afterwards. There may be other mentions.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline JakeM.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 09:58:37 AM »
I've, or our gaming group, had Treasures and it wasn't explained any further.

It funny though. Irgaak is a sword, and a place maybe as well, from the Shadow world. Still it is said that Noldor exiles somewhere used them...
I never learned anything more about Blood pools of Morgoth or anything else about this now evil craftsma... elf
Dibs on that broadsword!

Offline JakeM.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 12:06:51 PM »
Half of my post vanished.

Anyway. Anybody got an idea which gaming module, adventure pack, this might be in.
I mean. Harvest of fools sound pretty neat when you're facing a hundred filthy orcs!
I do hope it is more than +5 firebolt 3xday
Dibs on that broadsword!

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 12:33:32 PM »
May it refer to tarot cards?
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »
It looks like the swords are only mentioned in Treasures. The Irgaak are a type of weapon found in several Shadow World modules, although none seem to have harvest of fools.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 03:03:12 PM »
"Summon the harvest of fools" could just be a metaphor for slaying all who are fool enough to stand against the wielder. Pick whatever harmful power you want.

If it was the "harvester of fools" it could summon some kind of malevolent entity.

If you like yanking your players' chains, it could do nothing, since fools do not tend their fields and therefore have nothing to harvest!

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline JakeM.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 04:09:25 PM »
May it refer to tarot cards?
Explain?

Good answers. Thanks.
It's just that. Like two days ago I stumbled on this memory lane with a friend.
The absolutely first thing that came to me was - I wonder what that power really was!

I doubt the wielder theory since there were six and all were capable.
On the other hand, Luinguruth and its sister sword were powerful enough to defeat those Irgaaks ( and their wielders I presume )

Oh, all of it is starting to come back.
I remember a lot of Sindarin words from just studying the weapon and item names... I remember the loot from Huinen the Seer from that Mirkwood tower...
The Name on Nazguls bola - water skimmer. Aeglos, the spear of Gil Galad.

I remeber firing the bow of Calin Wip ( 2x round! ) against a foe behind a bar. Hitting him in the ankle, cause the dice said so
Dibs on that broadsword!

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 09:00:55 AM »
Creatures & Treasures describes the Swords of Irgaak, including the following (p. 82): '1x/day for 1-10 rounds, the "Harvest of Fools" can be "turned on": a 4' beam extends from the tip, while it is "on" the beam "cleaves" whatever armor, weapon, shield, or body part indicated by the criticals it delivers (it cuts through anything)."
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 10:15:41 AM »
Well the fool is a tarot card and i recall something called the harvest of fools on a site for tarot.
Shopped around when we had a tarotmage in group!
But im also inclined to believe that harvest of fools is some spell that allows you to strike all apponents in front of you or something like that.. the fools that dare to stand against the Irgaak blades!

Offline JakeM.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 01:24:43 AM »
Creatures & Treasures describes the Swords of Irgaak, including the following (p. 82): '1x/day for 1-10 rounds, the "Harvest of Fools" can be "turned on": a 4' beam extends from the tip, while it is "on" the beam "cleaves" whatever armor, weapon, shield, or body part indicated by the criticals it delivers (it cuts through anything)."
Wow. Thanks!
Could we have had an earlier print of Treasures or was " the treasures of " a different one.
Mystery solved! Thank you. Sound every bit as potent as I hoped it would!
With a favourable settings ( happy gamemaster ) you could wipe out an entire army!

[edit.] Sounds a lot like a light sabre? Any of you ever played Space Master. Is it similar?
Shadow World had that old hi-tech bleed trough thing. Could this be something in similar?
Dibs on that broadsword!

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 02:09:59 AM »
ICE #1400 Creatures and Treasures ( for RM2) as said page 82.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-GD-Creatures-and-Treasures-Rolemaster-1400-by-S-Coleman-Charlton-/222229884521?hash=item33bdeeee69:g:Q2kAAOSwFc5Xv288