Author Topic: RMU Questions From An Old RM2 Fan  (Read 1127 times)

Offline nektar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMU Questions From An Old RM2 Fan
« on: June 01, 2017, 11:39:22 AM »
Greetings, everyone.

I have a few RMU-related questions based on the beta test material (Arms/Character Law July 2015 beta 2) that I'd like to ask.  I thank you kindly for your time beforehand.

1) Confirm: The RMSS-Introduced "Skill Categories" Are Truly Gone

In the RMU rules, I see a provision for determining "similar skill" bonuses, based on, among other things, a general "category" of skills.  I think this approach is excellent.  I just want to point out that it differs markedly from the approach taken when RMSS was introduced (and subsequently RMFRP).  Back then, an additional character sheet was added just to calculate bonuses for skill categories.  Following that, the actual "skills" sheet (separate page) made use of them.

[Highly subjective opinion in this paragraph, forgive me.] I always felt having these two sheets (Skill Categories + Skills) out of a now four-page collection to define a character to be an unnecessary burden and confusing for players.  I believe it was a good idea in theory, but it made the creation and long-term maintenance of character sheets sufficiently unmanageable for me and my players.  Feeling the need to stick with the latest incarnations of a game and not sit back with older versions, I found myself thinking the unthinking back in the mid-90s:  It was time to leave Rolemaster and move on to other games.  I did this with a heavy heart and always felt there was something missing as we delved with D&D 3rd edition and, later, 3rd/4th edition GURPS.  When HARP was introduced, particularly the revised edition, I was ecstatic and my gang of friends and I were happy to return to a modern likeness of Rolemaster.  We've been happy with it since.

However, the new RMU rules are really looking great, and I'm thinking of migrating my campaign's character sheets over.  I'm just writing all this, however, to confirm:

RMU is truly using "skill categories" only to help quickly determine bonuses across related skills and nothing more serious than that.  In other words, there will not be a separate sheet just to maintain "skill category" totals.  Is this correct?  If so, then super!  And, just out of curiosity, if anyone can shed light as to what was the decision to move away from the RMSS approach, I'd love to hear the history behind it.  Thanks!

2) RMU Character Sheets

Is there a PDF-like resource available anywhere that contains RMU Character Sheets?  I do not see character sheets in the Beta rules.  Failing that, are there any recommendations in lieu of that?

3) Electronic RMU Character Spreadsheets

Not important, but if anyone has created any RMU electronic spreadsheets, such as an ODS or XLS file, it would be great to check it out.

4) Spell Law

In the Beta rules, I see a brief mention of spell use in the Skills descriptions, but nothing further beyond that.  Am I right to guess there is no Beta edition for the RMU Spell Law presently?  If so, what is the recommended approach to working around that?  Perhaps using an earlier version?

Thanks again so much for any insight you can share.  Needless to say, I'm very excited about the direction taken by the RMU Beta rules:  it certainly comes across as highly streamlined, concise, while maintaining core Rolemaster elements that make the game so special.

-Nektar

Offline nektar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMU Questions From An Old RM2 Fan
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 11:41:44 AM »
Ouch... after having logged in to post my message, I came to realize there are other boards on the site that are more appropriate for this.  Sorry...

Offline nektar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMU Questions From An Old RM2 Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »
(After some careful searching, I found answers to questions 2 through 4 - and number 1 was pretty much just a confirmation.  So I'm all set - and much embarrassed.  Thanks!)