Author Topic: New skills in ERA  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Yggdrasil

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New skills in ERA
« on: September 19, 2017, 02:47:21 AM »
Hi
I'm a new user with ERA for Rolemaster, the Software seems to work fine but i need to add some stuff to my version.
New skills is the first i need to learn, i've now learned to add new skills but cant find any place to add the skill stats.
How do i add the stats on skills that i added ??

Also, where is the race for common and high man in ERA, Im trying to make an Rohirrim character with following rules for Rolemaster but can only choose from common/high man. Also, since i cant choose these races i cant get the "Adolescence skills" to be included.

I hope someone has the answer or an solution for this.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New skills in ERA
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 06:40:55 AM »
When adding skills from the Character Sheet module, the stats can't be changed.
If instead of creating a new skill, you create a specialization of an existing skill, you get the same stats as that skill. You can use this if another skill in the same category has the desired stats (you would just need to rename the skill afterwards and you're done).

From what you ask, I guess you are more interested in adding skills to the standard skill list that is offered to all new characters.
That skill list, together with the stats for each, can be edited in the configuration files. There are a number of old posts about this in the advanced customization thread.

I suggest you read what's mentioned there, and use that thread for any questions you might have about the customization of your skill list.

The same goes for the races. The free base package of ERA comes with just 2 races, and you can add more by purchasing additional packages on RPGNow. Since no ICE product currently on sale contains the MERP races, I can't publish them, so you would need to create them yourself.
This just means adding a new file in the "Configuration/Races" directory, following the example of the common man and wood elf provided. If you need assistance with this, you can post them on the advanced customization thread and we'll do our best to help.

About the adolescence skill ranks, I'm not sure if you are using RMC or RMFRP. In the case of RMC, adolescence ranks are not defined by race like it used to go for MERP, you would need to assign them manually once the character is created.

If you are using RMFRP, the concept of culture will allow you to define fixed skill ranks at character creation, just like adolescence.
The Nomad culture will give you roughly the equivalent of a Rohirrim.
You could also create your own cultures by tinkering with the files in "RMFRP/Configuration/Cultures" and "RMFRP/Configuration/SubCultures".

Offline Hawkwind

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 08:56:22 PM »
I am attempting to add the Tactics (Battlefield) secondary skill in the skills section of RMC character law. Since the stats for Tactics are Re/In, I used the Specialization button to create it like Navigation, since that also has Re/In as stats. The skill has been added, and I have edited it to set the name and put in the correct cost, but the stats still aren't listed  and the stat column still has a -, rather than the 3 it should have for the character I am creating. Any ideas?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 07:22:33 AM »
I am attempting to add the Tactics (Battlefield) secondary skill in the skills section of RMC character law. Since the stats for Tactics are Re/In, I used the Specialization button to create it like Navigation, since that also has Re/In as stats. The skill has been added, and I have edited it to set the name and put in the correct cost, but the stats still aren't listed  and the stat column still has a -, rather than the 3 it should have for the character I am creating. Any ideas?
Using the latest ERA version, I created a new character, and as soon as I added a specialization skill the stats and bonus seemed ok. I tried renaming, changing the cost, restarting the server and it kept working ok.

If you want, send a sequence of screenshots to the support account (era-support.voriigkye@recursor.net), to see how it is working in your case.
Please check that you are using the latest version (2018-01-13).