Author Topic: Map Book Poll  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Map Book Poll
« on: November 09, 2007, 10:12:07 AM »
I originally wasn't planning to put the actual adventure maps in the map book, for spoiler reasons.  Now I'm wondering if I should change my mind.  Your thoughts?
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: Map Book Poll
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 10:19:04 AM »
Note that this would mean having to do multiple copies for hex or square, and would increase the cost.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 11:15:47 AM »
What is going to be in the map book anyway not counting adventure maps?  I missed what this was going to be in general.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 11:28:08 AM »
Since the interiors of the print books are black and white, this book is just color maps from the first three products, so you have a way to see the color codes on the Felric's Redoubt map and such.  It will be a little saddlestiched book, maybe 24 pages.  That way you only have to pay for color pages for the maps and not for the whole big book.  They're kinda expensive and would have sent the price of a print book through the roof.

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 08:39:27 AM »
I said no since I will probably print adventure-specific maps as needed. 

I am thinking of the map book as an Atlas by your description.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 06:26:48 PM »
I would agree with the original thinking on the map book, adventure maps should stay with the products.

However, do I assume correctly that the map book would have the Feldric's Redoubt city map for example? Something from the adventure material, but not critical to the adventure. Edit, doh just reread your post and saw this would be included. Cool.

Guess I'm saying the map book with world maps and town/city maps would be great, leaving the out actual smaller adventure maps.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 09:13:21 PM »
Right now my thinking is 1 bonus map (the world, so you can get some idea of where the Chaos is, where Durandul was, etc.)
The 1 page Belkanath map.
The Poster map broken up into single page regions (instead of the single country versions in the book).
Felric's redoubt, across several pages.
Uzarag and all the city etc from Lost Kingdom.
All the city templates from Lost Kingdom.

Map Book 2 would really start with product 5 since there were no maps in the Bestiary.

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 01:59:20 AM »
The Poster map broken up into single page regions (instead of the single country versions in the book).

I assume this includes the maps of Ludremon and Felrican Lands?
I can't wait for the world map, sound intriguing.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 03:15:13 AM »
Yes, those maps will be included.

The world map if kinda cool. graphically.  It doesn't have a whole lot of political data.  Essentially, I just marked all the major locales from the history which are known (like the central location of Almia and the major Elven and Dwarven Kingdoms.)  It's an export from Fractal Terrains, though, and I think it looks cool.

Offline WoeRie

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 07:51:26 AM »
The world map if kinda cool. graphically.  It doesn't have a whole lot of political data.  Essentially, I just marked all the major locales from the history which are known (like the central location of Almia and the major Elven and Dwarven Kingdoms.) 

Wow.. I love this kind of stuff  ;D
Will it also be available in PDF or from Lulu? You know - for those poor oversea customer who have to pay more than 25 bucks for delivery only.  :'(

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 11:23:17 AM »
There should be something on Lulu.  I'm trying to do it in two-page spreads.  The ICE printer thinks they can do it.  Lulu might have problems unless I leave a margin of white space in a strip down the binding.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 12:26:26 PM »
I voted no simply becaus the adventure maps are pretty small and straight forward.  It is the 'big map' that I would like to see broken up into smaller pieces rather than tinker with CC3 zooming in and out and such trying to find cities hiding depending on the magnification.

As a side note and speaking of the Uzarag templates, any thoughts about an expanded version pdf similar to the 0one map pdf's?
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 12:41:15 PM »
I SUSPECT that this would take more time than people want me spending on something that doesn't get out print books or product 5.

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 02:02:46 PM »
I was actually thinking of putting a similar disclaimer on my post but alas, lunch was calling and I didn't have time.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 12:59:46 AM »
Another game I'm running, in addition to this one Defendi :) , is a Powers & Perils game. This is in the 80's but the campaign map was presented as a book with sheets, including highly relevant information for Special Areas. Much was left for the GM, but it provided the essentials.

The point is, breaking up of a world map has been done - maybe an overall world map at the start with sheet designations that correspond to smaller maps (sheets) to follow in the product. Kind of a Map index at the start, with more detail in the later pages.

Offline Michael Petrea

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 02:20:16 PM »
The world map if kinda cool. graphically.  It doesn't have a whole lot of political data.  Essentially, I just marked all the major locales from the history which are known (like the central location of Almia and the major Elven and Dwarven Kingdoms.)  It's an export from Fractal Terrains, though, and I think it looks cool.

Anxiously waiting to see this one.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 10:13:54 PM »
Irony:  By including the map tiles, I have to do two versions anyway.  :)

Getting movement on this one, BTW.  The biggest holdup now is finding a bit of money.  If things come off the way I hope, this will be a tight month or two.  :)