Author Topic: The Alchemey Companion  (Read 1432 times)

Offline rustorod

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The Alchemey Companion
« on: February 17, 2018, 09:59:31 PM »
Hello,
I've hunting for the Alchemy Companion but not wanting to pay a fortune for it. Would the RMFRP Treasure Companion be an adequate substitute?

Thanks

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: The Alchemey Companion
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 11:44:37 PM »
Definitely.
It shouldn't be much to switch from one to the other.  Nearly identical to that older work. Treasure Co is good. I hope it works out. Some of the newer book is just better defined, rule wise. Occasionally, there are bits that are less powerful than the original. Most of these have good reasons. :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 06:26:11 AM »
Ironic... I had a session this weekend and I broke out Alchemy Companion because one of the players was interested in the types of "magic" in the world and we were discussing Alchemy.  I'm thinking I may roll up an Alchemy user for the heck of it to throw him into the game world as an NPC and back-up character in case one of the players dies.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 07:17:48 PM »
Hello,
I've hunting for the Alchemy Companion but not wanting to pay a fortune for it. Would the RMFRP Treasure Companion be an adequate substitute?

That depends entirely on what you want. If you just want a framework for creating items for Rolemaster, yes. Beyond that general description, though, they are very different books. The Alchemy Companion has a good deal of text that will help with historical authenticity and general flavor, as well as a slew of varied professions. The Treasure Companion has three variants on the Alchemist, on for each realm, but they are more alike than distinct. Treasure Companion fills space with treasure lists, which Alchemy Companion does not (as those lists for RM2 were included in the same books as the creatures). On the whole, Treasure Companion is somewhat better balanced with somewhat fewer spots that needed a bit more work, while Alchemy Companion is a much more imaginative and evocative work, with more content. For someone with no restrictions on money or shelf-space, I'd say it was worth having both. If I could only save one in a fire, though, I'd have no hesitation in grabbing Alchemy Companion.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 08:49:22 AM »
For someone with no restrictions on money or shelf-space, I'd say it was worth having both. If I could only save one in a fire, though, I'd have no hesitation in grabbing Alchemy Companion.

Hear hear!  I've had Alchemy Companion since it was first released and had read through portions at a time and picked out the relevant bits I liked, but I had never read it through cover to cover.  This weekend, I finally sat down and read through the book in its entirety.  What a fantastic read!   I'm sad that I didn't read through it many years sooner. 

The world we run is an Elemental Companion only world.  The only magic allowed is from that companion.  This past summer, I offered the players the option to use Alchemy Companion as well since the setting is similar to the Renaissance Period when Alchemy was all the rage and mysticism and magic were fading away. 

I like being able to read a book, not simply a PDF on a screen.  I would say purchase the paperback version if it's available and cost effective.  At worst, the PDF is good to have, but the book is well written and offers some great views on alchemy, some very cool professions, spell lists, and crit tables.  It's definitely worth the purchase.

Offline rustorod

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »
Thanks for the input. I currently was able to pick up the Treasure Companion. Will keep my eyes open for an Alchemy Companion. Saw one for around $40 on Amazon. Will see after tax season :-\

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 07:19:34 AM »
Thanks for the input. I currently was able to pick up the Treasure Companion. Will keep my eyes open for an Alchemy Companion. Saw one for around $40 on Amazon. Will see after tax season :-\

Ebay has it for $28 and one for.... ready.... $188.49!  :o  If that's what it's worth, I'm selling mine for $180 then buying the one for $28!!