Author Topic: Are there any HARP Sci Fi Published adventures?  (Read 3100 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
Are there any HARP Sci Fi Published adventures?
« on: April 06, 2014, 08:49:44 PM »
I am looking for some (at least one) HARP SF adventures to either use as a demo or inspiration for a demo in HARP SF. I have done a little searching and have not come up with anything. I did a search of "The Guild Companion" and found nothing much for HARP SF except for a whole lot of "Words from the Wise (guys)" and a bunch of previews for HARP SF. Just about anything will help at this point.

Bruce
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Are there any HARP Sci Fi Published adventures?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 10:11:32 PM »
you could try some Spacemaster adventures.
granted they are not HARP but pretty damn similar.

though having never even seen spacemaster supplements i can't comment on how good they are
The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:32:20 AM »
Spacemaster has some pretty good modules and I have a few physical copies. The only problem is they are specific to the Spacemaster setting and deal with the various ruling "Houses" in Spacemaster. I am looking for something more focused on the Tintamar setting in HARP SF.

Bruce

Offline Takeyabue

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 07:21:53 PM »
Do you have any idea of what type of adventure you want to run? For example, planet-based vs space based? Beginners vs more developed characters? How long do you want the demo to run? How many encounters are you looking for?

With a little guidance along these lines I should be able to put something together for a demo if you are interested. I have a campaign that I have been running since beta days that I should be able to pull some materials from.

Takeyabue

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 05:25:56 PM »
I have an idea for an adventure. Set in space and the characters are hired to retrieve something from an old derelict space ship. I am going to add some horror elements and some hidden character agendas. I am going to try and add some horror elements to it (as my best fantasy games are horror based). I am currently playing Dead Space and will use that as inspiration, along with movies like the first Alien movie amongst others.
 I just have to figure out the story line, the plot hooks/goals for the characters and develop the characters. I will probably use this old starship map/game I found in storage for the map during the game. It is the Azhanti High Lightning supplement for Traveller. Of course I can't use regular size miniatures or tokens for this and will probably have to use the small square tokens for play.

Bruce

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:30:58 PM »
The spacehulk psudo-horror scenario I keep meaning to use is something like the imp from the Star Wolf series of books.

Basically a small, intelligent saboteur who work in subtle ways for a while.  Often this can look like a haunting, especially on the spooky ghost ship the PCs just walked onto.

In HARP I might use something like this as the "imp".

Asset #7 - Madji Belter Spy (5)                                             
EP:   +66   PEP:   -9   Init:   +15   DB:   +50   BMR:   2.8                  
RR Bonuses:   Stamina +50  Will +42  Magic +5  Electronic -5                                          
   St:   50   0      SD:   66   +6                        
   Co:   65   +5      Qu:   61   +5                        
   Ag:   86   +10      Re:   86   +8                        
   In:   86   +10      Pr:   50   0                        
Weapon Skills:                                             
   MR: 1HEn (Minilaser)            +45                              
   Martial Arts Strikes            +45                              
   Demolitions               +70                              

Armor:   Ballistic + Spacesuit                                           

Talents:   Spy Level Bonus, Extra Limbs, Motion Sensing, Radiation Resistance (minor), Manual Dexterity                                          
Key Skills:   Acrobatics (2) +26, Climbing (1) +15, Contortions (5) +41, Demolitions (12) +70, Martial Arts Strikes (7) +45, MR: 1HEn (Minilaser) (7) +45, Appraisal: General (1) +23, Computer Operation (9) +63, First Aid (2) +28, Language: Racial (S) (6) +48, Language: Racial (W) (6) +48, Language: Other Racial (S) (4) +38, Language: Other Racial (W) (3) +33, Machine Op: Tools (8 ) +58, Lore: Own Culture (1) +21, Lore: Cosmography (6) +46, Perception (6) +46, Resistance: Stamina (5) +50, Resistance: Will (5) +42, Signaling:Sensors and Countermeasures (7) +53, Vocation: Crewmember (2) +26, Duping (3) +25, Interrogation (1) +15, Armor Skills (4) +30, Endurance (5) +66, Jumping (1) +15, Swimming (1) +15, Zero-G Maneuvering (10) +66, Chemistry (1) +23, Xenology (1) +23, Ambush (4) +36, Camouflage (3) +35, Computer Hacking (12) +82, Electronic Bypass (10) +68, Forensics (1) +21, Locks & Traps (9) +75, Stalking & Hiding (13) +82, Poisoning (3) +31, Sniping (2) +26, Streetwise (1) +15, Trickery (2) +26, Computer Programming (2) +28, Civil/Habitat Engineering (1) +23, Power Engineering (6) +48, Transport Engineering (7) +53, Space Pilot: Starship (1) +25                                          
Resistance:   Magic (0) 5, Stamina (5) 50, Will (5) 42, Electronic (0) -5                                          
Languages:   Racial (S6/W6): 48/48, Other Racial (S4/W3): 38/33   

Asset #7 was a young child when his family was captured by raiders.  The rest of his family was killed, but the raiders kept #7 as a slave.  After several years of menial cleaning and serving #7 was transfered to another location.  Here he was conditioned and trained for over a decade.  #7 was taught to hide and evade capture, to set traps, and harrass shipboard crews.  #7 was also trained to hack computer systems and broadcast sensitive data to his masters.  His final training included explosives training and enineering for critical shipboard power and structural systems.

Asset #7 was made into a recoverable but ultimately expendible sabatour intended to compromise and cripple any ship he was released on.  He hides in little used service areas, then works to kill or incapacitate the crew while disabling the ship.  He signals his masters to then come retrieve both the prize and himself.

#7 remembers little of his free youth, but perhaps he could be convinced to give up his master's mission, or perhaps not.

Best Regards,
-Pyrotech

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 08:50:40 AM »
The spacehulk psudo-horror scenario I keep meaning to use is something like the imp from the Star Wolf series of books.

Basically a small, intelligent saboteur who work in subtle ways for a while.  Often this can look like a haunting, especially on the spooky ghost ship the PCs just walked onto.

Very interesting idea.  I can see something like this being very entertaining (for the GM) and initially puzzling for the characters/players in such a game.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you see him gaining access to ships?  As a stow-away, being left as a "lone survivor" on the previous ship that was "taken" by his masters so that others will "come and save him",  him applying for a crew opening on a ship, something else that I'm not thinking of, or a combination (different methods for different ships) of all of these methods?
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 10:37:05 AM »
My scenario would basically run:

1)PCs encounter a hulk
Hulks being worth lots of money for salvage, most of my PCs would jump at this opportunity
More altruistic PCs might want to look for survivors

2)Investigation of the hulk finds the crew dead, some with no visible cause of death, others look like they may have killed each other.  While investigating a panel the PCs are using will suddenly start flashing a "Beware" message occationally (caused by #7).

This will almost surely kick the PCs into an investigative mode.  #7 will evade notice and scans as much as possible. 

3)Later while the PCs are investigating other areas #7 will move some of the dead bodies around and use the environmental contorls to drop the temperature of the room they are in to freezing temperatures then erase/hide any record that he did it from the computer.

The PCs will suddenly find a freezing cold room with dead bodies in the wrong places.  At this point the PCs will probably go into full Scooby-Doo mode.  If they split up then #7 can try to lead the smallest/weakest group of PC (using mysteriously opening doors and strange noises) into a trap (probably either a power system "accident" involving frying them, or a gas grenade trap).

4) When things start getting a little too hot for #7, or the PCs show no interest in being scared off.  He can next spacewalk over to the PCs ship and sabotage their power system.  If he has lots of time he can make it look like an accident, if not then just a demolitions charge will do.

This will leave the PC's stranded with the ghost ship waiting for #7's keepers to show up and claim two prizes. 

5)  At this point the PCs should strongly suspect or know that this isn't some kind of haunting and be able to hunt/trap/kill/negotiate #7.  If they fail to do so or instead of further investigating leave the hulk, then #7 can spacewalk over and cut his way into the outer hull, reseal the outer hull, then cut his way into the inner hull.  Observant PCs will notice an atmosphere leak.

6)The PCs will then need to decide what to do.  Fix their ship if needed (salvaging parts from the hulk probably).  And if they find out about the pending arrival of unscrupulous raiders/salvagers how to deal with them (if at all).  If they don't find out about the incoming raiders then a space battle may occur (possibly as a surprise to the PCs)

#7's goals would be to wait for his masters to collect himself and the hulk.  He wasn't instructed to capture the PC's ship so is only really interested in scaring them away.  If they won't scare away then he will try to neutralize their ability to interfere with his masters.  If the situation calls for it he may even try to present his masters with two hulks for salvage.

If the PCs win, I would have the ship belong to a powerful megacorp with plenty of lawyers and mercenaries.  They would encourage a settlement on the ship (probably a 10% finders fee - but I'd let the PCs negotiate this) plus a reward/bounty on the raiders they killed/captured if any (say 500 credits a head plus 2000 for their leader).  The PCs could take this deal, or attempt to live with the consequences of not taking the deal.

Of course this would probably take a lot of fleshing out and debugging for more internal sense.  But that is how I would run it seat of the pants style.

Regards,
-Pyrotech

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 01:02:16 PM »
Alternity had a module out called "The Last Warhulk" the map would work great with this scenario, you should check it out.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Takeyabue

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 08:06:27 PM »
0 hr art & technology (Future Armada and Armada Codex) have a series of printed poster sized starship plans that I have used with miniatures to great acclaim from my players. Might not have a ship that is big enough for your planned scenario, but it gives you another place to look.

Takeyabue   

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 09:14:58 PM »
I wonder if the "Azhanti High Lightning" Deck plans are available online. I have an actual physical copy and it is big ship with I think 8 decks, though I am not sure. You could try and look for it, even forking out a little money would be well worth it.

Bruce

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 03:11:54 AM »
I wonder if the "Azhanti High Lightning" Deck plans are available online. I have an actual physical copy and it is big ship with I think 8 decks, though I am not sure. You could try and look for it, even forking out a little money would be well worth it.

Bruce
If you get the Mongoose Traveller Supplement 3: Fighting Ships, you will get the Azhanti along with several other large and small ship deck plans - including the monstrously huge IMPERIAL WAR DREADNOUGHT (TIGRESS-CLASS) ship - it is almost 10 times larger than the Azhanti.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline pyrotech

• Adept
  • OIC Points +45/-45
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »
For my scenario I would think even just a courier shuttle or light freighter would be sufficient.  They both have small enough crews that one saboteur can believably eliminate them, they are both valuable enough to be worth killing for, and they are both cheap enough that if the PCs do win the scenario the rewards won't excessively unbalance the game.

The deck plan for the light freighter would work fine (assuming that there are some unshown service/maintenance areas and plumbing/ducting to hide in).  The transport shuttle has too many people to kill, plus not enough good places to hide.  With no deck plan for the courier shuttle we can make it as convenient as needed for the scenario.  Personally I would probably copy the galley area from the light freighter or scoutship plus some of the bunks and paste them over the seeting of the transport shuttle.  That would give some rooms to hide in and explore.  I would go ahead and do that real fast and post it, but I'm pretty sure neither ICE nor the original artist (who does read this forum as I remember) would appreciate me doing that with their copyrighted  material.

Bigger ships than these start getting crews so large the scenario stretches believability and so expensive and valuable that the reward would likely unbalance a game.

If you wanted to do this with a bigger ship and weren't worried about long term ramifications on the game (one shot adventures), I would make #7 a 10th or 15th level saboteur with much more equipment and possibly allies.  This would make the adventure more believable (an incredibly experienced super-saboteur with support for such a high value/high risk ship) and much more lethal for the PCs.

Regards,
-Pyrotech

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 04:23:12 PM »
Or have #7 work in a team, maybe with other robots that he can shut down when not needed.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 10:48:53 PM »
If you get the Mongoose Traveller Supplement 3: Fighting Ships, you will get the Azhanti along with several other large and small ship deck plans - including the monstrously huge IMPERIAL WAR DREADNOUGHT (TIGRESS-CLASS) ship - it is almost 10 times larger than the Azhanti.

I looked at that and it does look like a good book. I am a traveller fan. But the maps I have are very large maps, are in color, and can be used (with small square tokens) as actual play maps. Each deck on the "Azhanti High Lightning" is it's own separate map. Each map is 14" x 22" and there are more than 10 maps in the box. If that book you recommended comes with maps like that, then that would be awesome and something I couldn't pass up.
The "Azhanti High Lightning" is a game in itself and it comes with 2 supplement books for the original Traveller RPG, the box set I have was published in 1980.

Bruce

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 03:51:48 AM »
Yeah, that's a bit more than the Arrival Vengeance module I got for Megatraveller that has a map of the Azhanti High Lightning in it. I don't tend to use miniatures, so it doesn't matter to me if the map is huge or not, just so long as it is clear and readable. (And cool.)