Author Topic: Wall Sheilds  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Batfish

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Wall Sheilds
« on: April 15, 2014, 10:27:53 PM »
What would you give player who is stalking with a wall shield ?

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Wall Sheilds
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
I want to say a good round of laughter and +30 to his DB.
To be serious, however... I'd say -25 to the maneuver.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 01:12:54 AM »
I want to say a good round of laughter and +30 to his DB.
To be serious, however... I'd say -25 to the maneuver.

+1.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 02:20:05 AM »
turtles can be stealthy :)
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:28:40 AM »
Even though it seems strange to stalk with such a bulky shield, I would not add a (negative) modifier to stalking maneuvers. The problem I see is that, as a GM, I would soon have to rule the modification for all kinds of large objects a character might be carrying in his hands while stalking, be it a spear, a normal shield or whatever. Therefore we are only using the modifications from the official maneuver tables list for stalking. Since these IIRC do not contains a modifier for carrying large objects I would not add a new one.

Just my 2 cents

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 11:43:32 AM »
I still use a combined stalk/hide skill, so I would apply it.  I think Ecthelion is correct if stalk is a skill and hide is another.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 12:03:35 PM »
The problem I see is that, as a GM, I would soon have to rule the modification for all kinds of large objects a character might be carrying in his hands while stalking, be it a spear, a normal shield or whatever. Therefore we are only using the modifications from the official maneuver tables list for stalking. Since these IIRC do not contains a modifier for carrying large objects I would not add a new one. Just my 2 cents.

Just depends on your idea of 'normal sized'.

-25 might be a bit harsh for moving silently (just the noise side), but I'd still give at least a -10 for a wall shield.  A wall shield is big enough for you to hide your entire body behind.  In terms of trying to be sneaky (quiet in this case) wall shield is a long ways from normal imo.  A normal shield I would not penalize.  Spears don't even come close to 'large' in this context either imo.  A wall shield is a very different story.  As a side not, I suspect most people using a wall shield are going to be in heavier armor, which would be another problem.  Unless you had a specialized suit that would probably be another penalty.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss