Author Topic: most useful or best SW supplements  (Read 2476 times)

Offline kyussopeth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
most useful or best SW supplements
« on: February 23, 2015, 04:04:41 PM »
This post I intend not to sound too sycophantic & of course these are absolutely the correct opinions no rational person could possibly disagree with them.

I'm going to give a top 10:

1. Master Atlas 3rd ed.: Though not everything in the 2nd ed MA made it into the 3rd ed. tome it still is the first I turn to when searching for info. The 3rd ed. MA is better organized & contains more information overall from the extended Timeline to the longer more in depth descriptions of the non-core continents. The 1st ed. MA doesn't compare to the 3rd & 2nd editions, except I find some of the art less polished yet more evocative. I think the art in the 3rd ed. MA is the weakest of all the MA's I greatly prefer pen & pencil drawings to computer generated art.

2. Emer boxed set: Only just inches out the other supplements because of the Atlas addendum. Has so many iconic entries especially the entries on the "Guardian Mind", The Ark of Worlds & the Book of Gates. It has an excellent overview of Emer itself, including information about SW Emer that can't be found elsewhere.

3. Jaiman Land of Twilight: If Emer did not have the Atlas Addendum this would be the #2 supplement. Jaiman has the most interesting setting including Lorgalis, the Priests Arnak, the Phoenix Crown, & Sulthon Ni'Shaang. It's like central Europe there's too much history to ignore.

4. Haalkitaine: The Empire of Rhakhaan's place in Jaiman is central both geographically & historically to Jaiman. It also gives some context to how the various powers in Jaiman play out their conflicts. I refer to its weather generation system constantly.

5. Powers of Light & Darkness: Comprehensive. I don't know how I could run a SW campaign without it. If I was rating these purely by how much I enjoyed reading them this would be my #2. My only complaint is I wish it had more about the Alliance & some info that appeared here appears elsewhere, but having it organized into one place. The spell addendum which I finally found would push this over to #2 if it had been included with the softback. Lastly the binding on mine is shoddy don't know if it's a defect from the print run or just the one copy.

6. Xa-ar & NW Saralis: This may indeed be Mr. Amthor's best work buying it made me more fanatical about running the SW. The first half is an excellent source book & the second half is the best adventure for SW I've ever read. This is my favorite I hope the Wuliris Supplement is similar.

7. Emer III: It's always a good sign when one finds the quality of an author's writing gets better as time goes on. I personally thought this area was going to be the dullest part of the Emer series, especially compared to Emer II (Namar-Tol & the Lankan Empire), but I would start a campaign here if I wasn't still running my Jaiman based campaign.

8. Emer II: Could have been 3 or 4 times larger in other words moar of this. Luckily there seems to be more in the works.

9. Eidolon: Currents & trade routes alone make this a must have. The great city of Sel-Kai and sky ships are the meat of this supplement. I like the idea of an expansion of this.

10. The Iron Wind: The first supplement for SW it set the tone, introducing the Priests Arnak, The Dragonlords, The Messengers, The Navigators & the Loremasters. Even though they are expanded upon in many later works they remain in essence the same.

Emer I, the 2nd & 4th ed. MA, The Cloudlords of Tanara (both versions) both are excellent additions. The only non-Amthorian work that I consider on par is Vog Mur, but it lacks the Amthorian touch.

Demons of the Burning Night, Gethaena, Bladestorm, & Quellborne are the only others i like, but for the most part I ignore them they seem out of place in SW. Quellborne especially seems like it belongs in Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realm.

Norek gets praise, but i never liked it & the others Cyclops Vale, Isle of the Oracle, Tales from the Loremasters I & II, etc. were not worthy additions. They seem like locations pulled from very derivative homebrewed settings. They completely diluted the setting & I for one am glad they are not considered cannon by TKA.

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
Re: most useful or best SW supplements
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 03:21:41 AM »
It's always interesting to see how other people look at Kulthea, I do not think I would be able to make a Top 10 as there are only about 10-12 books without including reeditions and updates.

So I will offer my top 3.

1. Cloudlords of Tanara, in a moment when many books were about dungeon crawl this module offered politics, religious debate, duranaki and a powerful lich. It's probably my favourite RPG book joint with some MERP stuff and a few Cthulhu books.

2. Atlas 2nd & 3rd edition. Lots of stuff and the best RPG fantasy world for me. The 3rd edition was interesting mainly to introduce the continents, in my heart the 2nd edition rules.

3. Eidolon, although I enjoyed more reading Jaiman, the first time I saw that book and the nice edition it won me. Extremely useful and playable, and I have to say in that days when it was published some cities of other fantasy worlds were built over huge dungeons full of monsters. Why????

IMHO: Everything wrote by TKA is usually excellent, it's a pity that he has no more time for writing. I have to say also that I always liked the layout of his books, always well organized and clean to read. The books released under previous ICE post old ICE were a litlle bit "à la D20", reading was worse and you always get more pages due to decoration in outer borders of the page.
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 03:51:24 AM »
Thanks guys; I love hearing about your favorite books, and why you like them!

I wish I could write more, but sadly I am not as prolific as I was back during the old ICE days (when I had to write SPAM modules under an alias! Hah!)

--TKA
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 09:28:39 AM »
My favorites:

Emer Boxed Set.
SW Master Atlas.
Jaiman.
Eidolon.
Getheanna.
Curse of Kabis.
Demons of the Burning Night.

I have always wanted a book dedicated to the Island of Ciros and the City of Kataine,mostly because it became a major center of civilization in my game (with my weretiger nobility versus the wererat merchant class.  note; the rats win the upper hand and the Mechant League of Ciros is a shinning example of prosperity and under handed dealing).

Keep rocking Terry.  Your imagination has been a very nice gift.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 12:45:03 PM »
There was a ton of stuff in the Atlas Addendum, most of which is already in a draft of Artifact & Lost Tech.

Jaiman is already in progress, as mainly a sourcebook, with a lot of the dungeons removed. Really, a Continent sourcebook with half of it dungeons? I was ambitious. Some are already in the new Wuliris, with updates. The others deserve some other book. The new Jaiman will give more about all the regions, incorporating the new info about Rhakhaan, Tanara, the NE, NW, and even the SE.

But I have a question (this is only me; I do NOT speak for ICE) If we offered the old 80's Jaiman as a PDF as before for sale in the meantime, would it inhibit you buying a new version as I have described when it became available?
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 02:20:37 PM »
I might buy it for the same reason I bought PDFs of Quellbourne and Haalkitaine - so I don't damage my, in some cases rather aged, originals.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 02:52:35 PM »
 From my experience with some other game material there are always some people who want old stuff but the main question is does the work that goes into making the product modern pay off and where is the break even point.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 09:41:09 PM »
From my experience with some other game material there are always some people who want old stuff but the main question is does the work that goes into making the product modern pay off and where is the break even point.
MDC

It's a good question, though Cloudlords seems to be a pretty good seller after its total makeover.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 12:06:33 AM »
 I do not know if you can do a product by product poll or ask for the top 3 products from a list and git good numbers, ie get a good sample size.
 You might also be able to do something like a pre-buy option or fund me option to see if there is enough demand for the product.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Telwyn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 03:28:51 PM »
Top three for me are:
Emer boxed set - it's my favourite continent and the broad canvas for many adventures
Eidolon - I'm a sucker for city adventures and I'm a big fan of Sel-Kai (I have the PDF of 2000 edition)
Emer Atlas III - I like all the atlases so they'd be 4 and 5 probably but the third is a really slick product and it's opened my eyes to a new area of the world worth setting adventures in

I'd be happy to buy PDFs of revamped products as I too have some very old original prints, I hardly dare use them thesedays.

Offline Vurkanan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 05:31:23 AM »
But I have a question (this is only me; I do NOT speak for ICE) If we offered the old 80's Jaiman as a PDF as before for sale in the meantime, would it inhibit you buying a new version as I have described when it became available?
It wouldn't keep me from buying a new version at all. I would buy the new version in any case. If there was a PDF of the old Jaiman, I would consider buying it, but it wouldn't be top priority. It would also depend on wether the PDF was searchable.

Offline Mercenary30

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 07:44:05 AM »
I gather that the term supplements does not necessarily include adventure modules.

With that as my assumption, my top 3 are:
Jaiman - This is the book that made Kulthea my new all time favorite gaming world over Greyhawk, and by quite a margin.
Powers of Light and Dark - This book offered huge possibilities and gave definition to history and it's actors which gave me knowledgeable  access to so much more than Jaiman and Emer.
The original Word Map.  I have that on my wall like a poster.  Considered putting it in a frame, but it is two pieces and an expensive frame.
'I think he just earned his money,' I whispered to the gaping Jad, 'and be so kind as to close your mouth.'  -  Kalen Avanir

Offline kyussopeth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 07:55:37 PM »
I gather that the term supplements does not necessarily include adventure modules.

No if you really like an adventure say so I just did not find the adventures like Tales of the Loremasters very good overall.

I personally have run both Quellborne & Demons of the Burning Night in other settings.