Author Topic: Where would you start a campaign in Shadow World?  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Norek Lord

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Where would you start a campaign in Shadow World?
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2014, 08:07:27 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply, Terry!

Sorry, I've been zip zinging all over the site trying to learn what I can about the status/position/response to Norek.  This thread seems to indicate it is not/barely/almost canon.  The official-ish sticky on the matter seems to say it is canon (maybe barely?), and one of the ones you personally use in your campaign.  I'm honored.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 03:23:10 PM »
Nice to see that you've finally been found (is it your real name on the module?). Yes, Norek has continually popped up over the years as one of the most popular modules and starting points for Shadow World campaigns.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Norek Lord

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2014, 04:18:53 PM »
Yes, my real name is on the module.

Norek has continually popped up over the years as one of the most popular modules and starting points for Shadow World campaigns.

^^^ That is stunning.  I've spent nearly 15 years assuming it hit the shelves, survived a few months, went through bankruptcy and was gone from the world.  Every time I've tried to learn more, I've hit a dead end.  I finally gave up looking/hoping maybe 6 years ago.  Yay Google!  It is like being re-united with a kidnapped child.  Well, ok... maybe that is a bit over the top.  But still, super exciting!

I have 3 author's copies I take out and wave around sometimes, like lost scrolls from a bygone millennia.  Then I hide them away in a fire-safe.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2014, 04:23:45 PM »
... I have 3 author's copies I take out and wave around sometimes, like lost scrolls from a bygone millennia.  Then I hide them away in a fire-safe.

LOL. I do the same thing w a couple of ROCOs. Proud moments eh?
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline darb

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2014, 06:39:34 PM »
I would also like to chime in that Norek was my favorite module of SW of the type.  I really love the use of adventures to explore a region, it is like a module of an adventure path from Paizo.  I really hope it is something that ICE takes a look at going forward if they are ever in a position to turn anything out again.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2014, 07:23:11 PM »
I would also like to chime in that Norek was my favorite module of SW of the type.  I really love the use of adventures to explore a region, it is like a module of an adventure path from Paizo.  I really hope it is something that ICE takes a look at going forward if they are ever in a position to turn anything out again.
Yup. just like Quellbourne in the north could be a wilderness style adventure path, Norek in southern Jamain could be an urban adventure path. I think both of those sound excellent.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Norek Lord

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2014, 07:50:40 PM »
@darb

Thanks for the kind words.  We are sort of derailing the thread, but I sure do appreciate hearing it is well liked!

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »
@darb

Thanks for the kind words.  We are sort of derailing the thread, but I sure do appreciate hearing it is well liked!

I think a lot of people would love to see it come back, at least in a PDF version like Quellbourne (then I could stop using my now rather rare original edition).

Even better would be a revamp, tweaking it so that it was fully integrated with current events, and adding new illustrations. Then it could be available as a PoD version too. I don't know if you've seen any of the new Shadow World PoD stuff, but it's pretty nice looking.

Offline Norek Lord

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2014, 09:13:29 PM »
It would be very cool to see Norek reborn.  I'm not at all sure which way things will shake out, but it seems likely that it will be available again in some format.

I've not seen any of the PoD material, but I've seen some really positive commentary about it.  Exciting possibility!

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2014, 09:28:19 AM »
It would be very cool to see Norek reborn.  I'm not at all sure which way things will shake out, but it seems likely that it will be available again in some format.

I've not seen any of the PoD material, but I've seen some really positive commentary about it.  Exciting possibility!

Nice to see it come back. I've uploaded some pics of the PoD stuff - it will probably need approving though.

Offline Norek Lord

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2014, 02:19:05 PM »
Thanks for the uploaded samples!  Those are really attractive! 

Offline xenus

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2015, 10:44:43 AM »
Going back to my copy, half of it is adventures.  That is what made it more accessible than most of the other older SW books.  Xa-ar is similar but requires more GM effort to flesh out the ideas given.