Author Topic: Just Saying Hello  (Read 1875 times)

Offline dlw2112

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Just Saying Hello
« on: December 19, 2014, 12:49:53 PM »
Greetings All!

I played Rolemaster many many years ago.  I always loved it better than other systems.  I have recently returned to gaming after a long hiatus and was playing some other more popular systems but none moved me like Rolemaster.  So, I Googled today and was glad to be able to find all of the RMC.  So, after spending a god awful amount of money (but worth every penny) I am checking my email every 5 minutes to see when my rush order will be shipped.

I am very excited to play Rolemaster and also introduce it to the group I am playing with at this time.

Merry Christmas to me!!!

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Just Saying Hello
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 03:21:39 PM »
hey! good to make contact with more rolemaster enthusiasts.
i started with original D&D as a player, then played some MERP and then after doing some Gming of D&D discovered Rolemaster and have never looked back.
I think what people can overlook is the setting for your campaign is just as important as the system itself. For me the best thing about rolemaster is its diversity - for example you could create lvl1 10 fighter player characters and they would all be unique with different background options, skills and weapon specializations.
The GM is of course the biggest and most influential factor. They set the tone and add depth and realism to the game.

Offline Profcrab

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »
For me, software tools are the biggest boon to Rolemaster. I've always liked the system but having tools keep track of turns and referencing charts speeds things up. I'm still a ways away from running RMU with my group (we have a D&D game up next), but I'm looking forward to the tools that are available at that time.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 06:19:51 PM »
I agree with Profcrab, if you have a chance check out the software section and see the combat tools available for RMC. They might just help you out a lot.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline mjkelly

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 10:03:55 PM »
Well Met!

I too am on a return-to-gaming trajectory this year, and, like you, Rolemaster just sings to me better than the alternatives. In my case, it is RMSS, but not because I have a strong devotion to it over other RM variants. It is simply what I have. I am, of course, keeping an eye on the RMU development, which I only caught on to recently.

The software efforts caught my attention as well, and they seem promising. Rolemaster, more than most other FRPG systems, benefits from aids that streamline the character development and combat/maneuver handling. Tablets, and networked applications, if well made and well placed, could revolutionize the game play, and could well user in a new ICE era.

I hope to get a campaign up and running, in and around work and other adult responsibilities. My "group" will be a mix of newbies (my sons, some of their friends) and RPG veterans (my friends, and a relative or two). It should be interesting, to say the least.

So, welcome to the forum. I just got here myself, although I created an account ages ago. It is good to know I am not the only prodigal.

Best,
Mike Kelly

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 07:32:40 AM »
Hello and welcome to the group.  It makes me smile when I see that not only is Rolemaster Family in all of its incarnations is still alive and strong, but it's still drawing new players into the fold.  I'm still deeply rooted in RM2 and haven't found anything in this genre to even compare with it but I have been really investing time into the RMU system and I (along with a lot of other people) am looking forward to the next release of the files to see what changes were made.

If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Tamans

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 12:31:40 PM »
Hello people, I'm new to the forum too but not to RM2. I'm happy that some have the same type of experience with RM. I'm a very experimental player, I like to try the new games even if I sacrifice a little my main campaign game, be it what it would be at the time, but after trying here and there different games I found that even the old RM2 has edge in some aspects to all of them. There is also the personal tastes that count for this of course but still it's amazing after so many years and new systems to go back to this unique piece of work.

Offline Aris Greentree

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 09:10:02 PM »
Hi,
This seems the appropriate place for an introduction.  Like most of the other posters here, I've played RM off and on for years, and was looking to get back into it.  The forums are a great place to stimulate my imagination, since the pool of players locally is fairly limited; in fact, just one if I include myself.
Anyway, I like reading y'all's posts, so I figured I should at least say howdy.  (oh yeah, Aris is a southern Wood-Elf)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 01:02:01 AM »
Welcome Aris Greentree to the ICE Forums.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 04:10:48 AM »
Hi,
This seems the appropriate place for an introduction.  Like most of the other posters here, I've played RM off and on for years, and was looking to get back into it.  The forums are a great place to stimulate my imagination, since the pool of players locally is fairly limited; in fact, just one if I include myself.
Anyway, I like reading y'all's posts, so I figured I should at least say howdy.  (oh yeah, Aris is a southern Wood-Elf)

a rather belated welcome!
id recommend roll20 or something similar as a way to kickstart some rolemaster games with a new group if u were short on players. i previously ran a campaign for 4yrs on there with some old highschool friends (im 47) and it was great to get back into some gaming with them again. online rpg is its own animal. pros and cons but if distance is an issue then its really the best option imo. i have  player in my campaign who lives in Denmark and the rest of the players (4 at last count) are all from various parts in New Zealand.