Author Topic: Ghost in the Shell discussion  (Read 2407 times)

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
Ghost in the Shell discussion
« on: April 10, 2009, 12:32:20 PM »
Are there any Cyberspace fans who like Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell GNs & related anime ?  What do you & did you not like about them ? Have you tried to incorporate elements from them into your own Cyberspace campaigns ? Do you have a thoughts on converting the tech to cyberspace or convertions you've made for Cyberspace ?

I'm a fan of the GNs & the 1st Anime but haven't really followed the sequal or tv series. The GNs have lots of info about the world & it's tech. I'm thinking of either using the GitS setting as is for my own Cyberspace setting or just steal elements I like for my own setting.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Ghost in the Shell discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 08:09:10 PM »
I like Ghost in the Shell, as well as the other mangas from Shirow. It has some nice ideas, especially the ghosting which I used a few times myself (in Shadowrun tho). Never done any convertions of the tech as Shadowrun has enough tech IMO.

Now the world is less punkish than cpunk settings in general so could be hard to play a character on the wrong side of the law. On the other hand, could have an interesting campaign where the players play cops, gmen or corp security. Just don?t know how it would play out as there are certain complications, the main issue being that you have rules to follow, or at least pretend to as a cop/gman/corp.
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline Wōdwulf Seaxaning

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • HellSide Oso Myspace Page
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:51:34 PM »
GitS seems more of a post-cyberpunk setting but is often labelled as CP.I love the art & setting. I think you could play criminals or characters's on the fringes but playing Cops & Gmen would fit the setting more, as you said. After thought I'd steal some elements such as tech & tweek them for my own setting.
R.I.P. Frank Frazetta
R.I.P. Barry Blair
R.I.P. Drew Hayes
R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »
Ghost did the only plausible netrunning/hacking simulation IMHO. Who would use the bandwidth for a Simself program or virtual world when you could take more programs with you instead!

It does seem in that timeline, non-government agencies will start using 'tech soon.
I don't recall the date of the movie, but with C-Space's 2095 some "civilian" tech should be available.

I did a long campaign in R TALSORIANS CYBERPUNK 2013 then 2020. It's like the basic D&D version of C-Space. A D10 system was easy to run...  Heck, they even had a decent card game.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"