Author Topic: When did you start playing ICE rpg's?  (Read 58487 times)

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: When did you start playing ICE rpg's?
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »
Yeah, I played James Bond, too. Actually started working on a Miami Vice mod for those rules (something that would have allowed players to play cops or drug runners...with possibilities for an adversarial campaign). Ah...the days of youth and ambition... ;)
Darn that salt pork!

Offline calmacil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2011, 11:43:59 AM »
I started in 1985-86 with Merp. We stuck with it for a while.

Started rolemaster with the blue box. I think it had a big rat coming through a door? maybe 2nd or 3rd edition? not sure.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2011, 01:04:51 PM »
Sounds like RM2 - initial box set (1984)

http://www.icewebring.com/ICE_Products/Product_Page.php?product_id=200%20Rolemaster%20Box
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline calmacil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2011, 04:32:29 AM »
Sounds like RM2 - initial box set (1984)
Yes, that's the one

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2011, 12:20:17 AM »
I started with RM when it was just Arms Law.  About the time I bought it they had just released Character Law and Spell law.  I was running a AD&D game at the time and then converted the world to R<.  Those I taught never looked back.  The world had gone from RM to D&D and back a few times and now we are back to RM.

I guess that truly shows my age.  I remember saving my money and sending away for the stuff from ICE.  Was told it was a waste.  It is one of the time I was glad to prove those around me wrong.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2011, 12:09:06 PM »
When I looked at D&D without the "I like this game" filter, I noticed that it is actually more mechanically complicated than HARP and RM.

I fully agree. Each class seems to have its own set of rules and I've always had difficulties mastering battles activities (when do I need to roll? What are the mods again?). In RM, the rules are more consistents : when you know how to handle combat with one weapon, you can do it with all of the others. You may even try magic, as it is very similar!

To come back to the subject, I answered in the HARP era (using RM2), but I remember trying it once with Not-RM by the end of the '90 or beginning of 2000. It took one evening to create my character (even with the help of a computer!) and know almost anything about Tolkien world!... I came back to it when my brother-in-law GM'ed a campaign for my sisters and I around 2004. I enjoyed RMSS/FRP a lot when I was able to read it. I ovelooked HARP when it first came out but now I like it. I can't decide which spell system I like the most, since each has its own merit.  :D
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »
Yeah, I played James Bond, too. Actually started working on a Miami Vice mod for those rules (something that would have allowed players to play cops or drug runners...with possibilities for an adversarial campaign). Ah...the days of youth and ambition... ;)

Wow.. That sounds hilarious. I would play that in a heartbeat! I might want to convert it to Top Secret 1st ed. rules. I think that's what we were playing way back then.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline lwCoyote

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2012, 09:15:33 PM »
Although I started with RM2 I actually started playing in the early to mid 90s; the group that introduced me to it didn't play the newer versions. As such, RM2 will always be dearest to my heart. *hugs it!*

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2012, 08:50:36 AM »
Aha!  Now those look familiar, thanks ob1!

Makes me wish I had them all intact... except for Channeling mine have all been pilfered or  "folded, spindled, and mutilated"*

* 3 points for anyone who gets that reference.

In the US Postal Service, it mainly refers to sending photographs in the mail (although who does that anymore?).  It also refered to any documents that were considered Fragile and had to remain flat.

The first ICE product I saw was the arms law charts released in 1980. A friend of mine tried to get us to play D&D using them. That did not go over very well.

At least someone is as old as I am when it comes to RM.  But, I guarantee Brent still has an original 1980 Arms Law edition.  The only original 1st editions I still have is Character Law & Campaign Law.

However, my wife easily integrated the criticials in Arms Law into D&D.  I forget exactly how she did it, but it had something to do with rolling a natural 20 for criticals and natural 1 for fumbles.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2012, 11:38:09 AM »
From arakish:
However, my wife easily integrated the criticials in Arms Law into D&D.  I forget exactly how she did it, but it had something to do with rolling a natural 20 for criticals and natural 1 for fumbles.

We used the crit tables from a Dragon Mag. I'll bet TSR made these because so many people were using ICE crit tables. :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2012, 11:39:30 AM »
From arakish:

We used the crit tables from a Dragon Mag. I'll bet TSR made these because so many people were using ICE crit tables. :)

I also used the table from the Dragon Mag and then another GM moved over to Arms Law crits in his home brew system.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »
Most of my gaming group have 15+ years of gaming.  My wife and I met at a gaming convention.  My eldest took her first crawl at a local convention.  So I can say that I have been gaming a long time.  I bought Arms Law when it was the only product of ICE.

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2012, 05:55:25 AM »
I started back in the early 90's, might have even been in the late-80's.

My first RPG session was actually in RM2 with the RM2.5 (on rpg.net) boxed set and Middle-Earth map from the finnish translation of LotR. To be honest, it wasn't all that good, our GM gave us 100/101 in all our stats and the rules didn't play too high of role in any case (not that I think that is a bad thing, but when you ignore them fully it kinda makes having a character sheet pointless).

Later on, around -91 or so, I met a guy at my new school that had the rules as well and bunch of other books. We ended up playing D&D however and didn't touch RM until years later, but that Shadow World campaign left a big mark on me and I still count it as the best campaign I've ever been in.

At one point or another we also played Space Master, Cyberspace & MERP. And had plenty of those books and adventures.

In 2001 I moved to Sweden and my group in Finland got left behind, I haven't been playing anything until I got on a Skype group about a year ago and only started buying books again, RM2.5 boxed set was one of the first things I got and I found it in perfect (as in the books had not even been opened) condition. The same guy also sold me his SW Master Atlas and Emer boxes, both in perfect condition as well. I'm now collecting all the SW material as I love that world.

So, a long time ICE fan.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:00:32 AM by TAK »

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2012, 11:45:52 AM »
TAK,
 Nice. It is nice to find some good old(er) stuff and use them today.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2012, 01:05:59 PM »
From arakish:

I also used the table from the Dragon Mag and then another GM moved over to Arms Law crits in his home brew system.
MDC

Really?  I never even thought those folks at TSR were capable of such.

Then again, I never have seen a Dragon mag, and as I wrote in another topic, I had never seen anything having to do with D&D until my brother bought the 3rd Edition D&D books for me (dug them out of the closet that holds my "never see the light of day again" books).

Even in that edition, it is still nothing more bludgeoning each other to 0 hits, which I still think is stupid (may the RPG gods forgive me :o).  Before those 3rd Ed books, the only other thing D&D I had seen were the original 1st Ed D&D books in 1975? 1976?.

My science fiction group is even thinking of getting another group to join us since I introduced them to SM and GMing the game.  All I can say is cool.  A group of former D&Ders getting another D&Der group to join in on the RM/SM games.  Maybe I'll start a revolution?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2012, 04:17:14 AM »
TAK,
MDC

Oh yeah and as a box fiend I love getting them in such condition. Now I will have to try and find Space Master boxed set somewhere, our group used to have that one as well, but I doubt it's any good now.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2012, 09:13:51 AM »
TAK,
MDC

Oh yeah and as a box fiend I love getting them in such condition. Now I will have to try and find Space Master boxed set somewhere, our group used to have that one as well, but I doubt it's any good now.
It should also be out on PDF soon if not already if you need a copy to get you buy. If it is not at DrivethroughRPG.com then it is in ICE's re-branding cue and should be there by the end of the year (hopefully and do not quote me as I have nothing to do with re-branding).
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2012, 12:28:10 PM »
It should also be out on PDF soon if not already if you need a copy to get you buy. If it is not at DrivethroughRPG.com then it is in ICE's re-branding cue and should be there by the end of the year (hopefully and do not quote me as I have nothing to do with re-branding).
MDC

Ah, yes, but you see, I like the boxes, so the PDF can be out all it wants, if I don't have the box...  :P

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2012, 02:36:28 PM »
I understand but if you need a book before you find the box then it can come in handy.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2012, 10:07:36 AM »
I understand but if you need a book before you find the box then it can come in handy.
MDC

Well, tbh, I don't expect to ever play Space Master, unless HARP SF is complete crap :P :P
(I intend to buy HARP SF in the near future...)
But I tend to buy PDFs for most of my games when possible, so I will look into it when I have the box.