Author Topic: AutoHARP goes to Beta  (Read 9676 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
AutoHARP goes to Beta
« on: November 24, 2012, 02:07:05 PM »
AutoHARP (designed and implemented by Monk) is now available in beta format for download both from the ICE Vault http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item834
and from Sourceforge
https://sourceforge.net/projects/autoharpsuite/

AutoHARP 1.0.0.0 is a Beta version of a unified character creator and combat tracker. Character creator is suitable for both HARP Fantasy and HARP SF. Combat tracker can handle both fantasy and sf combats. This beta version comes with a minimal database to allow you to try out the software. The full database will be available in the commercial version.

Monk will be very happy to receive feedback on any matters relating to the software. Once he and we have seen it through this beta phase, GCP will release the commercial version on OneBookShelf.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Re: AutoHARP goes to Beta
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 06:56:04 PM »
Heeeere we go!  8)

A big thanks to Nicholas and John for making this possible.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 09:00:30 PM »
Hey all,

So I download and get a 8Mb file called - AutoHARP-1.0.0.7z - what opens it? Was it a Zip within a zip??

Thanks,
Old Man

** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 09:03:37 PM »
Hey all,

So I download and get a 8Mb file called - AutoHARP-1.0.0.7z - what opens it? Was it a Zip within a zip??

Thanks,
Old Man

Ah, I went to - https://sourceforge.net/projects/autoharpsuite/ - instead and got an .exe - Nevermind :)
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 08:41:11 AM »
7z is a 7-Zip file which I believe WinZip understands and can extract as well. If not, 7-Zip is a free download. I have to compress into a 7z file in order to attach to gmail and mail since gmail will not send zip files I think because they are trying to prevent viruses.

Also for those who may not see the readme file and are using Windows XP, there is a known issue where AutoHarp will not close properly, that is it will crash before it finishes closing. I have isolated the code that causes the crash, which happens when the application is stopping all events so it doesn't effect any work done. The issue is currently being looked at and I hope to have a solution soon. I am thinking of temporarily removing the line. The effect would be users would have to use the toolbar to create a new character and not the menu.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 11:04:26 AM »
I will definitely download this and give my review once I've used it a few times.

@Old Man, when I downloaded Black Mesa, I had to download 7zip too. I think the idea is that it's a zip format for large files.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 09:24:52 AM »
Good work!

It looks great. The interface is simple, I like it.  :D

I have some suggestions for improvement, if I could.

Adding tool tip balloons will help understand the use of each control.

In which format the character files are saved? Is there an example file included in the beta package?

I suggest to rename the file in the zip with the word "install" in it, as I first thought that the application didn't need installation and would run immediately.

I suggest to change the default installation directory. On my computer, it went in ...\User\AppData. It's not a folder I use often. I think Program File would be more appropriate.

I suggest to rename the exe file AutoHarp-CT to something more intuitive (it's HARP combat tracker?), as I had a one-second hesitation which exe to run.

I wonder if there is a way to use the Harp logo as the app icon (?). Actually, the icon looks like a blank sheet.

I like the wizard to create a new character.  :)

In the wizard, I think some error checking is needed.

In the first page, if I select race: Human, hybrid, greater: Human, it works and the talent list doubled. After that, if I select hybrid, lesser 1:human, hybrid, greater goes to None (good!), and nothing changes in the talent list (there are still nine talents). Finally, if I select hybrid, lesser 2: Human, the human talent list is added again. Now I can select hybrid, greater: Human. The talent list changes, but it is still too long.

I think it would be easier to know where to put the human stat bonuses if the non relevant columns in the grid are shaded (like Total and Racial). I think it would be even better to merge the Racial and Human column.

To test racial hybrid, another race would be useful (like Elves).

Thanks for doing this!  ;D
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 10:06:58 AM »
Thanks Zut for the suggestions and remarks. To answer some of the questions posed.

The character is saved in XML. About adding another race to the demo database, unfortunately that would be up to Nicholas and John.

I love the suggestions and many of them are practical especially naming conventions. I'll print out your suggestions and see what I can do to help with the confusion. Also thank you for the descriptive bug report. It helps me recreate the issue so I can fix it. If you would, could you create a ticket on the SourceForge page for Autoharp. I believe anyone can create a ticket. That way I can track the bug. Thanks again!

note: I really love the idea of color coding the input column if a user selects human for a race over my asterix solution.  8)

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 11:22:43 AM »
Happy to see that inputs are welcomed (and that it didn't discouraged you!). I will keep them going then.  :evil1:

I had a look at the exe folder after install. There are *.manifest files. I think they are some kind of "remainder" from the compilation. Are they needed to run AutoHarp?

Also, there is a sub-folder named res (I suppose this is the resources folder) with many pretty images. :)  I suggest to rename it (at least for the release version) something like "images". The icons look great overall. Maybe attack.png could be modified, I'm not sure what it represents. I suggest to use a more classic representation: two swords crossing each other. The icon addpicture.png could probably be enhanced with a little plus sign in one corner. The icon castspell.png is well self-explanatory. :D

I will have a look at SourceForge and try to put my suggestions over there.
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »
I couldn't find the way to post a new ticket (error report), either as a guest or with my (new) account. I couldn't find help about this either on the website. Is there supposed to be a button or something on the Ticket page for this? Maybe I need a permission from the admin?

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »
There are certain files and directories that are "fixed". The manifest files are necessary for the GUI and the res directory shouldn't be changed as the application looks for these images in that directory. I am hoping in the future to find a way to "hide" these folders and files but until then they have to stay fixed.

Not sure what is going on with SourceForge. I would think anyone should be able to add a ticket but I will check it to make sure I have proper permissions set since I'm wondering if they are not set for global use.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »
I have adjusted the permissions for adding tickets, so now anyone should be able to add one. To add a ticket you go to the source forge site listed in the first post and click on the tickets tab. Then click Create Ticket and add as much information as you can about the error and how to recreate it.

Zut: I cannot recreate your talent issue you mentioned before. The only thing I see is that the lesser hybrid selections do not change to none if the user selects a greater hybrid. Other than that the talents seem to be correct even though a user would never select the same race twice for a hybrid.  ;) What OS are you using, however I doubt that would make a difference.

Here's what I did: I selected Human for a race, then selected the greater hybrid elf (I tested this with human as well, however I wanted to make sure it works with a real case scenerio) and got 8 talents, 4 for human, 3 for elf and the Stat Bonus talent. I then selected gnome for lesser hybrid and then elf and got 10 talents, 4 for human, 3 for gnome and 3 for elf. I then selected elf again for greater hybrid and got my original 8 talents I had before, but as noted, the lesser hybrid selections didn't change to none.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 04:32:16 PM »
Tickets: done!

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 08:46:05 AM »
Someone posted an anonymous ticket about an application crash. I will need more information to recreate. For example what race, culture and profession were used. Did you go back to a previous page? Any special values or actions during the character creation process?

Also for anyone posting a bug report I have two notes: 1) I have to be able to recreate the bug so I can analyze and fix it. So please try and be as descriptive as possible. If you can try to recreate it yourself with screenshots so I can see the whole process. 2) I am very open to suggestions however please don't be offended if I mark suggestions as won't fix or enhancements. As I need to prioritize my time I have to decide which tickets are worth the time to fix right now or are even really necessary. I can't address every suggestion passed to me, but I will try to address as many as I can.

Thanks for all the feedback. I really do appreciate it.  8)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »
Ha! Don't I feel embarrassed. There is only one race, culture and profession thus far with the demo so why on Earth did I need to ask.  :o ::)

Good news is I may have already addressed this issue. I ran into something when trying to create a Linux build where it crashed right after I was finished with the character sheet and I found the issue which caused it. Weird thing is this doesn't always happen which was why it was hard to spot. However I will still provide a quick patch this Friday so we can make sure it never happens.   ;)

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 02:36:34 PM »
Good, it happened to me too. I didn't reported it at first, because I tought you had enough with what I already posted.  :) But I saw on SourceForge that you solved most of them. Quite efficient!  ;D

Any news about adding a new race to the demo?

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 03:40:14 PM »
Actually I would encourage those using the application not to hesitate reporting a bug or a crash. In this case it helps me ascertain the importance of the bug and how soon I should be addressing it. In this case I may provide a patch sooner than later, probably tonight.  8)

Also if you see a ticket which happens to be the same error you are getting, making a post to that ticket will help boost it's priority and importance.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 07:18:33 PM »
UPDATE

Version 1.0.0.1 is now available. This is an emergency patch that resolves an issue where AutoHarp will randomly crash after completing the New Character wizard. Other issues addressed with this patch are:

• Resolves crash in XP when the application is closed
  • Added color coding to the Human column when the user selects user as to better indicate user action. This happens as well when the user selects Human for greater hybrid
  • Icon added to installation file.
  • Tooltips added for menus and toolbar
  • Hybrid lesser selections will change to none when the user selects a greater hybrid or a new race.
  • Hybrid greater and hybrid less change to none when user selects a new race.
  • Combat tracker application is now renamed to AutoHARP-Combat Tracker.exe
  • Banners added for the New Character Wizard.

---
I'm hoping to get a linux build for the next update. Happy Harping.

Again, thanks for the feedback and suggestions

Offline Modric

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 08:47:16 AM »
This might be a stupid question, but does AutoHARP incorporate the rules for the latest version of HARP (1.5) released this summer?

Offline The Dude

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The Floydian Slip
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 08:55:42 AM »
Has anyone tested this on Linux using WINE?
I'll give it a go, if anyone is like me, and is migrating over to Ubuntu/Linux.

EDIT: Didn't read two posts upwards... go Linux!
I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?
   -- The Doctor, 11th Incarnation