Author Topic: AutoHARP goes to Beta  (Read 9674 times)

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: AutoHARP goes to Beta
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 09:15:56 AM »
This might be a stupid question, but does AutoHARP incorporate the rules for the latest version of HARP (1.5) released this summer?

Yes.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 02:09:33 PM »
Has anyone tested this on Linux using WINE?
I'll give it a go, if anyone is like me, and is migrating over to Ubuntu/Linux.

EDIT: Didn't read two posts upwards... go Linux!

Oh yes.... there will be a *pure* Linux version so no need for emulators.  8) The only thing is that I don't really know how to create a proper package in Ubuntu and unfortunately installation will have to be a download and untar until I figure it out. My target date for release of the Linux version is next Monday.

I also hope to find in my possession one Macintosh and thus be able to get a OSX version out there.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 09:15:28 AM »
    ***UPDATE***

I know this update comes early but I got finished early I saw no reason to hold up the release.

Version 1.0.0.2

With this version, both Windows 7/Vista/XP and Linux Ubuntu are supported. I do believe that other linux distros will work with this build so for those not running Ubuntu try it out anyways and let me know what distro your using and if it works.

This version does address a few bugs

•    Combat Tracker Save state file was malformed and has been addressed.
    •      Movement maneuver would crash if you didn't give a value for the feet per hex. It was defaulting that value to zero and as a result dividing by zero.
    •      The "TwoFourSixRules" node appearing in the character save file has been changed to "CategoryCosts".

Enhancements include

•     Icons now customized for each application: a better resolution icon for harp and a new icon for the combat tracker.
    •      The type font for Harp Sci-Fi is now consistant in AutoHarp.

Also with this release the repository is now updated. Remember this is an Open Source application.  8)

Next on the list is to get my Martial Law and College of Magics databases updated as well as start working on the Sci-Fi Extreme database.

Happy Harping![/list]

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 04:31:38 AM »
    tried making a quick character and the wizard confused me on the first page.

Particularly the part where you assign the 10 points of 'stat bonuses" for being a human
    The confusion arises for me because there is a RACIAL column and a HUMAN column. for the first few minutes I was trying to
    distribute my 10 points into the racial column.

Can I suggest you add a big green arrow or something equally overt with a label say "Assign Stat bonuses here"
    also is that Racial Column necessary? I can't work out what its for..
    Probably because this is a beat/trial and you can only make humans but still..

Another big arrow for the column where you assign stats too would be nice, colouring it green too would also be useful
    The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline Turbs

• Seeker of Wisdom
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 04:57:33 AM »
    Something went Buggy with my last post SO I shall post the entirity of what I wanted to Say here;

tried making a quick character and the wizard confused me on the first page.

Particularly the part where you assign the 10 points of 'stat bonuses" for being a human
    The confusion arises for me because there is a RACIAL column and a HUMAN column. for the first few minutes I was trying to
    distribute my 10 points into the racial column.

• Can I suggest you add a big green arrow or something equally overt with a label say "Assign Stat bonuses here"
      also is that Racial Column necessary? I can't work out what its for..
      Probably because this is a beat/trial and you can only make humans but still..

• Another big arrow for the column where you assign stats too would be nice, colouring it green too would also be useful

• when assigning language ranks (and region lore skills for that matter), can you leave the name of the language field editable?
      i.e. default to Spoken Linguistics : racial but allow the user to type over it.  Most people I know create their own game world or use another one.
      Also I have to choose to assign points to the same language skills twice..is this on purpose? no doubt this is editable in the databases but to make a really good program it would be nice to be able to do it in the generator as you go.

• Colouring the column you are supposed to be filling out in the skill section would also be beneficial, took me a few moments to work out why I suddenly couldn't add any more skill ranks to skills until I realized I had switched over to professional skill point allocation.

BUG:  I completed the skill allocation page and hit the next button. (I had no points left to spend) The Application crashed..

The universe is hostile. So impersonal. Devour to survive; So it is; So it's always been.  ~Tool; Vicarious~

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 08:41:38 AM »
    It sounds like you are using version 1.0.0.0. Could you verify this by clicking the question mark or going to Help->About?

Current version is 1.0.0.2. It addresses the confusion by actually color coding "green" (how about that) the column you are supposed to edit and the bug where the application crashes when you finish the character sheet has been addressed.  :)

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
    • OIC Points +0/-0
      • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
    « Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 11:42:33 PM »
    Good work Monk! The character interface is clear, easy to navigate.

I posted a few tickets on SourceForge, to let you know.
    What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 11:04:26 AM »
    Thanks, Zut!

Update
    AutoHARP has been revised to 1.0.0.3

The important bug fix here is finally put to rest the application crashing during character development. Other fixes include:
    • Stat Cost in 2nd page of Character Creation Wizard will now just give the total stat bonus rather than show
      the difference from the original value.
    • Set the total ranks in the skills to show the total ranks regardless of the type selected. That is, if you select type Profession,
      the skill tab only shows skills tagged with the profession type, however the total skill bonus is still the full
      bonus.
    • Selecting "None" for a hybrid doesn't dock you the development points
    • Now you cannot select a hybrid first, you must select a race first. This is to resolve the issue of the
      talents not displaying right if the hybrid is selected first.
    • Also you no longer need to install as admin if you are installing into your program files directory.

Stuff for the future:
    I have started working on the Sci-Fi Extreme database and it looks as if the Maneuver window in Combat Tracker is
    going to get a huge makeover. It will include values such as bonus, percentage and RR so that the Maneuver
    window can be used to roll for skills. Also Sci-Fi Extreme contains information on how to make a robot or cyborg,
    so the database will add functionality to AutoHARP to create a robot or cyborg. Martial Law and College of Magics
    is still on the table. I am also interested in finding some way to bring in Hack and Slash if possible.

Happy Harping!

Offline Luxferre

• Neophyte
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 11:09:24 AM »
    I downloaded your autoHARP, but it doesnt even start :(

System: Vista, Home prem, Java updated...

Does anyone has an idea, whats wrong?

(and apologize my bad english please)
    Feed me! I'm hungry...

ina killatesu basma kabis sumsu

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
    You don't need to have java updated for AutoHARP since it doesn't use Java.

In what way doesn't it start? You can't install it? You have installed it but when you double click the application it won't start? Does anything happen when you try to run it? Does a process get started? Check the task manager for the last query. What are you doing to start the application?

Thanks!

Offline Luxferre

• Neophyte
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 11:53:09 AM »
    My mistake, sorry!

But I can only generate Human, urban, fighters... right?  :(
    Feed me! I'm hungry...

ina killatesu basma kabis sumsu

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 01:19:44 PM »
    I recently downloaded and installed the newest version. The program fails to start because it is searching for a shortcut it cannot find.
    #LotorAllura2024

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 08:41:56 AM »
    I'm sorry but I cannot seem to recreate the shortcut issue. I installed the application in Program Files and on the Desktop and both times I was able to run both the Character Maker and Combat Tracker. Was there anything unique you might have done during the install process?

note: I tested under XP and my sandbox is Windows 7. 

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 05:12:27 PM »
    Nope, just ran the latest installer then tried to run from my Start Menu programs.
    #LotorAllura2024

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »
    I, unfortunately, overlooked that shortcut. Just run the application from the generated folder for now until the next patch. Thanks for pointing that out.

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 02:03:38 PM »
    The shortcut my Start Menu seems to be looking for is the installer, which is weird in itself.
    #LotorAllura2024

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 11:08:02 AM »
    It's been a while and I was wondering if anyone here has any new feedback so I know what I should concentrate on and perhaps what people might be looking for enhancement-wise.

Thanks!

Offline darb

• Initiate
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #37 on: May 13, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »
    When are we going to see the commercial version?

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 08:27:58 AM »
    I honestly don't know. I have sent emails in the past but I have not heard from anyone. I'm curious if there is even interest as I have not received feedback or issues since the start of the year.  :(

Offline darb

• Initiate
    • OIC Points +0/-0
    « Reply #39 on: May 20, 2013, 04:05:09 PM »
    oh damn.  that worries me a little.  I think this product looked very very promising and really lots of us have  been clamoring for something like this.  It must be super frustrating for you to put in that amount of effort and get the cold shoulder.  Lets prod them a bit....