Author Topic: AutoHARP 1.0 - Errata - Issues  (Read 13173 times)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Re: AutoHARP 1.0 - Errata - Issues
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2014, 04:22:20 PM »
IMPORTANT!

I have just been told of a rather serious issue that can cause AutoHarp to crash. It happens if you add the Knight Training Package or any training package where the description contains an html tag. To fix or resolve the issue, open your character sheet xml file and go to the section that lists the Training Packages. Look up at the description of your training packages and make sure there isn't any html tags present like a <p> tag or a <br> tag. If any exist, remove them. The same goes for Talent Descriptions.

Here is an example.

Code: [Select]
<TrainingPackages>
<TrainingPackage>
<TrainingPackageName> Knight </TrainingPackageName>
<Description> Impenetrable armor, swords sharp as razors, strong steeds, and acts of valor. These are what define the Knight. These are the individuals that legends are made of. Songs will be sung and stories told of the great deeds performed by this courageous warrior. Normally, a Knight is in service to a king or high ranking noble. <p> They have only one responsibility and that is duty to their liege lord. No matter the order or quest, their goal is to complete it at all costs. During their down time of service to their lord, you can often find Knights wandering the countryside saving the occasional maiden or slaying the random dragon. </Description>
<Cost> 0 </Cost>
<DBLocation> Harp Databases/Harp Fantasy/Martial Law/TrainingPackagesFromMartialLaw.xml </DBLocation>
<CategorySkillSubSkill> Physical:Armor: </CategorySkillSubSkill>
<CategorySkillSubSkill> Combat:Combat Style:Mounted Combat </CategorySkillSubSkill>
<CategorySkillSubSkill> Outdoor:Riding: </CategorySkillSubSkill>
<CategorySkillSubSkill> Combat:Melee Weapon:1 Handed Edge- Long Blades </CategorySkillSubSkill>
<CategorySkillSubSkill> Combat:Melee Weapon:Polearms - Polearms </CategorySkillSubSkill>
</TrainingPackage>
</TrainingPackages>

The above is a section from my character sheet xml file. You will notice in the description for the training package there is a <p> tag. This will cause AutoHarp to crash. Sometimes it might not crash it may just display a malformed xml warning but not open the character sheet. In any event, remove the <p> tag and save. Character should open and application should work now.

The next version resolves this issue and accepts the html tags as they are written in the database.

Note: You might be tempted if you know the fix here to insert a <![CDATA[]]> around the text for the Description tag. This is what is supposed to be there but isn't. This will not work. It will be read fine but when you save the CDATA will disappear. This is because CDATA is formatting indicator telling the parser that HTML exists in this section and to treat it as such. The parser removes the CDATA. The application needs to replace the CDATA which is what the new version does.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2014, 07:04:29 PM »
I think I'll need to send you my entire database in that case, since I've made a lot of changes.

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2014, 07:10:32 PM »
IMPORTANT!

I have just been told of a rather serious issue that can cause AutoHarp to crash. It happens if you add the Knight Training Package or any training package where the description contains an html tag. To fix or resolve the issue, open your character sheet xml file and go to the section that lists the Training Packages. Look up at the description of your training packages and make sure there isn't any html tags present like a <p> tag or a <br> tag. If any exist, remove them. The same goes for Talent Descriptions.

Here is an example.

The above is a section from my character sheet xml file. You will notice in the description for the training package there is a <p> tag. This will cause AutoHarp to crash. Sometimes it might not crash it may just display a malformed xml warning but not open the character sheet. In any event, remove the <p> tag and save. Character should open and application should work now.

The next version resolves this issue and accepts the html tags as they are written in the database.

Note: You might be tempted if you know the fix here to insert a <![CDATA[]]> around the text for the Description tag. This is what is supposed to be there but isn't. This will not work. It will be read fine but when you save the CDATA will disappear. This is because CDATA is formatting indicator telling the parser that HTML exists in this section and to treat it as such. The parser removes the CDATA. The application needs to replace the CDATA which is what the new version does.

I noticed this today. It didn't cause Autoharp to crash, but characters with certain training packages couldn't be opened.