Author Topic: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures  (Read 90747 times)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA for Rolemaster - Creating characters and managing adventures
« Reply #220 on: November 29, 2016, 04:34:41 PM »
I've re-downloaded the RMC shadow world for ERA, but on the website RPGNow the zip file doesn't include Creatures and Herbs. It's marked 'last update 10-30-2016' so it would be the newest version.

Oh, there must have been some issue with the upload of that version. We will re-check and let you know as soon as it is fixed.
Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for letting us know!

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #221 on: December 01, 2016, 05:49:02 PM »
I've re-downloaded the RMC shadow world for ERA, but on the website RPGNow the zip file doesn't include Creatures and Herbs. It's marked 'last update 10-30-2016' so it would be the newest version.

Oh, there must have been some issue with the upload of that version. We will re-check and let you know as soon as it is fixed.
Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for letting us know!

We've re-uploaded the files. Please re-download and let us know if the issue is solved.
Thanks!

PD: If anyone else has been having trouble with the Shadow World files, let us know if the current version in RPGNow is working for you.

Offline silarkhar

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #222 on: December 15, 2016, 04:48:17 PM »
Hi,
sorry for the delay, but with the troubles on the ICE website it wasn't easy to respond.
So I've downloaded the lastest version ERA Shadow World on RPGNow.com and it works !
Thanks for your support Voriig Kye.

Now your next job on ERA : to do smart players for Rolemaster  :P

Merry Christmas to all  ;)
ERA user for RM2 and RMC.

Offline dndgamer5e

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2017, 02:36:20 PM »
Ok separate issue with my ERA installation in ubuntu 16.04.  Got it installed and working and now I'm getting the following error pop up when I try to open either RMC or RMFRP server.
 (MessageNotUnderstood: receiver of "ensureInitialization" is nil) 
I get the normal interface with the, Adventures, Characters, New Character in the middle but I dont get the About tag on the right side of the screen and the message above is placed across the bottom of the screen.  Any help.

Umm puzzling when I click on the icon in Nautilus it comes up with the message above but when I run it from Terminal it opens and runs correctly?

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #224 on: January 29, 2017, 08:15:06 AM »
I am using Ubuntu 16.04 when testing in Linux, and it never opened the application when clicking the icon on Nautilus. I always start the server from the terminal. So I have no way for now of reproducing the issue you mention.

I guess there could be some configuration that allows you to start it from the icon, but that could be messing with the information about the location of the files.

Please check if you have a support file in the /Server directory, called "ERA-Support.log". If you do, send it and maybe I can figure out how to fix it for you in a future release.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #225 on: February 03, 2017, 08:21:27 PM »
ERA has been updated, and with this new version, two powerful new features are included: Individual Inventory and Custom Realms.
I wanted to talk about them here, so that all those interested are aware of them.

Individual Inventory means that each character can have a detail of the items carried. It works just like the Party Inventory that can be accessed from the Adventuring module, except that it will be saved along with a character, when using the Character Sheet module.
With it, each player can keep track of the items that are included when starting out, and also adjusted in between adventures. This could be due to a new training package, or loot found while adventuring.

All the items in the Individual Inventory are automatically considered when loading the Party Inventory module, so there is no need to duplicate the effort. For those GM's who want to do it all by themselves, or have some players that prefer not to keep track of it, the inventory can still be managed as before by specifying the corresponding "carrier".

This feature will allow those users who requested the possibility of indicating the starting equipment of the characters.
It is also a necessary step before I can add full support for training packages, since each will indicate ranks and items gained.

Custom Realms means that advanced users can change the name, stats and casting penalties associated with the Magic Realms. It was a necessary feature to be able to add Arcane as a separate realm, as indicated in the RMFRP book.

The good news here is that it should be easier to add your own realm, or completely change the penalties for the existing ones. This means you can add Psionics, have better support for Project BASil, or require Channeling users to dance while casting.

Shortly I'll be creating a new poll to ask for your preferences on the features that should be added throughout 2017.

Offline dndgamer5e

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #226 on: February 04, 2017, 06:33:00 PM »
Voriig, separate issue to the one posted on the advanced thread.  I removed the latest ERA and then reinstalled it.  Now I try to accept the EULA but it wont clear the screen and the custom rules will not respond either. I have checked and it has the correct permissions in Ubuntu.

This is frustrating.
Aly

Offline dndgamer5e

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #227 on: February 04, 2017, 07:56:15 PM »
OK ten minutes later the issue has cleared itself I have accepted the EULA and can access the program but the other issue is still there.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #228 on: February 05, 2017, 09:17:51 AM »
Now I try to accept the EULA but it wont clear the screen and the custom rules will not respond either.
This seems to be a browser issue. The only reason I can think of that would stop you from clicking on the EULA button is for the basic Javascript (JQueryUI) to be unable to load.
If anyone else has this issue I'd recommend forcing a refresh (normally with Ctrl+F5) in the browser.

But it seems to be solved now, so let's go back to playing Rolemaster  8)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #229 on: February 07, 2017, 09:26:05 AM »
A quick note for all ERA users.
The latest update (2FEB17 in RPGNow, 2017-01-21 in the About dialog) includes some changes that are required for the new Arcane Companion package to work.
But also, these changes affected the contents of the Shadow World and RMC Companion I packages, and we have uploaded new versions of them to RPGNow.

So, if you want to have the latest ERA features, please update.
If you want to use the Arcane Companion package, please update.
If you update ERA and have previously purchased RMC Shadow World, RMFRP Shadow World, or RMC Companion I, please download the latest update of these packages as well.

Thanks!

Offline jnelson871

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #230 on: February 24, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »
I am having an issue figuring out how to use spells in combat. I can get the casting screen to come up but results are not applied to the target. Is there a way to get spells to apply damage and roll critical tables the same way as weapons? I am sure it is something simple that I am missing.

Also, is there a way to add creatures to my database?

Thanks,

Justin

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #231 on: February 25, 2017, 07:23:13 AM »
I am having an issue figuring out how to use spells in combat. I can get the casting screen to come up but results are not applied to the target. Is there a way to get spells to apply damage and roll critical tables the same way as weapons? I am sure it is something simple that I am missing.
When you cast spells, both with the "Quick Cast" and the "Cast Spell" options, the window that opens up has a box under the spell description called "Effect".
In that box there are fields to enter the target(s) of the spell, hits dealt/healed, bleeding dealt/healed, stun dealt/healed, DB gained, general penalties and bonuses, and optionally duration for the effects.
If you hover your mouse for a few seconds over each label, a tooltip will appear detailing what it means to use a positive value and a negative value for that field.

If the spell is a directed elemental, instead of using the effect box, I'd recommend using the spell casting window just to log the action and ensure power points are spent, and then perform a normal "Attack" action, choosing the directed spell OB from the list of available attacks.

If the spell requires a BAR, you should first perform the spell casting action and the a "Basic Spell Attack" action. There you can choose the spell list, realm, target defenses, and enter the caster's roll and the target's RR.

Also, is there a way to add creatures to my database?
With regards to adding creatures, you can check the sample provided in:
ERA/[RMC/RMFRP]/Configuration/Creatures
and add your own.

If you purchase the RMC or RMFRP Shadow World packages, or the RMC Companion I packages, you get a bunch of creatures from those books.
To add additional creatures requires knowledge of XML and is considered advanced customization. If you need help with that, please post your questions on the advanced customization thread.

Thanks for the questions!

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #232 on: February 25, 2017, 09:48:13 AM »
This time we have 2 new tutorials for you to watch: character sheet overview and skills.

To keep the conversations more organized, I created a specific thread for the announcement.

Offline jnelson871

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #233 on: February 25, 2017, 01:03:25 PM »
Thanks your response really cleared up my confusion on getting things to work with spell casting. I really hope that Creatures and Treasures for ERA is on the horizon in the near future as it would make GMing and using ERA almost perfect and make my life a whole lot easier ;) Any estimates for release? I did see that it was something that was on the todo list.

Offline jnelson871

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2017, 05:26:20 PM »
How do I get new spell lists to show up in adventure mode? I have typed them in as an added skill but can't get them to show as an option for casting a spell in the adventure module.

Thanks!

Offline jnelson871

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2017, 05:36:13 PM »
When you cast spells, both with the "Quick Cast" and the "Cast Spell" options, the window that opens up has a box under the spell description called "Effect".
In that box there are fields to enter the target(s) of the spell, hits dealt/healed, bleeding dealt/healed, stun dealt/healed, DB gained, general penalties and bonuses, and optionally duration for the effects.
If you hover your mouse for a few seconds over each label, a tooltip will appear detailing what it means to use a positive value and a negative value for that field.

If the spell is a directed elemental, instead of using the effect box, I'd recommend using the spell casting window just to log the action and ensure power points are spent, and then perform a normal "Attack" action, choosing the directed spell OB from the list of available attacks.

If the spell requires a BAR, you should first perform the spell casting action and the a "Basic Spell Attack" action. There you can choose the spell list, realm, target defenses, and enter the caster's roll and the target's RR.

Ok I have tried this but it still does not roll on a spell's critical table to apply damage. I am trying to get Shock Bolt to apply damage to the target as well as the relevant criticals. Will I need to check the chart manually and enter the numbers? At this point I am ready to use RMA solely for PC gen and Combat Minion for combat.

Offline jnelson871

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2017, 09:39:52 PM »
Ok so I finally figured out how to get the spell critical to take effect for the most part. Still can't figure out how to add spell lists so that they show up in the adventure module though.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #237 on: February 28, 2017, 07:31:57 AM »
The Creatures and Treasures implies preparing more than a thousand entries. I am slowly making progress through the RMFRP Creatures and Monsters. Once it is complete, I hope the difference with the RMC Creatures book is small enough to avoid me the trouble of starting over.

To use spells during the adventure the caster must have a skill with the name of the spell list, in the spells category group, with the skill classified as spell casting maneuver. This will be automatically done for all base lists when you create the character. If you add a skill in the spell category group, it will automatically be classified as a spell casting maneuver. So just increasing the number of ranks should be enough.
With that said, what you see in the spell casting dialog during the adventure, is the list of spells known to the character. So if you have 1 rank in a list that has its first spell at second level, you still will see nothing here.
I find it strange that you couldn't find them. Are you using a custom profession, or adding your own spell lists?
You can see these features in some old tutorial videos: here and here.

You will also need the spell list skills when using a Base Spell Attack involving a BAR. Here you will be asked to chose the spell list.
You can see it at work here.

To use a directed spell as an attack, the character needs a skill classified as an offensive bonus. This will be done automatically if you defined it during character creation.
If not, you just add a skill in the directed spells category, then edit it to choose the right attack table.
The latest tutorial on skills shows it here.

Once that is done, you can choose it just as any other attack while adventuring. Choose the attack, enter the roll and you get the damage, then click on the critical icon to open the critical dialog. Enter the roll, and determine the damage done by typing it in the effect boxes on the lower part of the dialog.
This part of a tutorial has an example.

I think that covers all your questions. Thanks for asking them!

Offline jnelson871

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #238 on: February 28, 2017, 09:32:50 AM »
Thank you so much! With your thorough instructions I was able to get everything working this morning. I really appreciate the amount of time and energy you have spent patiently helping me figure out ERA. Your the best and I appreciate all the hard work you have, and continue to put into ERA. Looking forward to getting some creatures and treasures built in at some point but completely understand the size of the task. My players and I thank you and I think we are just about ready to work ERA into our weekly game!

Offline jnelson871

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #239 on: February 28, 2017, 10:22:42 AM »
Ok so one more question. I am trying to access the character status from my phone while I have an adventure running. I type in the address at the top but it will not load on my phone's chrome browser or connect on my laptop. Just says site unreachable. I can get a window to open in a separate tab of my web browser. My players play remotely and I want them to be able to see their character status.

Thanks!