Author Topic: Bits and Mortar Program  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Bits and Mortar Program
« on: July 24, 2014, 02:08:14 AM »
Not sure how well that would apply as you guys are looking at primarily being a print on demand operation, however this program is very cool.  Basically partnering allows a store that sells a physical copy book to provide the customer with a free PDF version of it.

http://www.bits-and-mortar.com/
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
Re: Bits and Mortar Program
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 07:11:29 AM »
RPGNow keeps saying that they are going to implement something along those lines for their print on demand products that they produce for various RPG companies, but last I heard they have not done so yet.  Their idea was to sell print on demand books in bulk order to brick and mortar retailers at a reduce price so that those game stores could then mark up and make some money off of the products while still supporting the print on demand system.  But then they have been talking about that for at least a couple of years or more now and it still hasn't happened yet (as I've been in contact with them and what I've heard from ICE is that they would love to see that happen and would be on board with it if it ever did). 

But this certainly sounds like a good idea as well, if it is possible to get those print-on-demand books out there to gaming stores where a lot of purchases are made because someone sees something that looks "cool" and buys it suddenly (which is a large portion of the RPG game market's sales).  That was how I got into Rolemaster and MERP in the first place was just such a purchase back in the early 1980's and I've been a loyal fan ever since.  I spent several hundred dollars as a high school student and several hundred more as a college student once I moved to only a mile or two away from the store that I used to have to drive 45 minutes to get to when in high school (lived in a somewhat remote part of Michigan at the time).
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
Re: Bits and Mortar Program
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »
Yeah, a game system that isn't on the shelf in the store isn't going to sell unless they are actively advertising.  If you want to succeed it's either one of the other imo (both ideally obviously).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss