Author Topic: Individual spell purchasing option in RoCo III  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Individual spell purchasing option in RoCo III
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »
You do have to buy the blank slots, however we interpreted it like RMSS in that you can purchase over your level because this is treated more as a skill than spell picks.
The beauty of the Arcist is that you have no blank spots because you chose individual spells from where ever you want.
Over all I'm not a fan of individual spell picks, we let all classes add their stat bonus to spell list acquisition to reduce the Dev cost.
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline Skaran

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • World of Karnorthe
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 12:44:37 AM »
In our games, which have always used individual spell purpose I don't place a restriction on the number of lists that spells can be purchased from, for most spell users the cost is a starred one in anycase.. If the mage wants to spen all their development points on spells that is their option but they won't be very good  at anything else!
And when one dreams dark dreams dark days shall follow

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 01:30:53 AM »
Individual spells are still cheap even if the blank slots must be purchased.

For example, 10 dev gets a list to level 10.  In the old way, all ya got was a 50% to learn the list.

After level 20 there are more blanks, but the return is still excellent.  Also, a mid to high level spell user can spend entire levels of dev learning spells since his lore skills and such are probably already well developed.

It also allows a list to be learned partially, say level 2 or level 11 for example.

I have also seen individual spell development in RMSS leads to knowing 15 spell list.  Five list are developed 3 levels, then five other, then five other, then the original five are developed 3 lv3ls, etc.  The result is 15 list to level, with some exceptions as list are learned piecemeal (Invisible Ways to lvl 4 is common, Anticipations to lvl 2 also, etc).

I started using the rule in RM2 with SUC.  I was glad RMSS/FRP adopted it.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Green Manalishi

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 04:52:54 PM »
I use individual spell development, similar to RoCoIII but adjusted it. I didn't get get some of the costs ended up being more than just buying 20 ranks? So I made my own costs that I feel are balanced.
I did go with starting costs at 2/*, but did not make them pay for empty levels.

Offline Tamans

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 04:41:49 PM »
Empty slots in RoCo III cost 1dp. I find it very reasonable...