Author Topic: ERA for Rolemaster Classic error message  (Read 1592 times)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
ERA for Rolemaster Classic error message
« on: May 07, 2015, 02:41:10 PM »
I am trying out the ERA for Rolemaster free trial version on RPG Now.  When I click on the icon to start the program, I get the following error message:

This program is not compatible with your version of Windows.  Please contact the manufacturer of the program.

Nowhere on the RPG Now site does it say what the minimum system specs for ERA are.

PS -- I am running the program on Windows Vista 32-bit.  If this program doesn't work with older versions of Windows, please say so.
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: ERA for Rolemaster Classic error message
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 03:08:32 PM »
Update:  I  updated my version of Java to the latest release, and my browser is Firefox.

I tried starting the program using ERA-server, and the program did start.  However, it gave me an error message that said I had to quit and restart using one of the ruleset-specific icons.  When I use either of those icons to start the program, I get the error message in my first post.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 04:46:02 PM »
I can confirm that ERA is intended to work on as many Windows versions as possible, and I know that we even have some Windows '98 users around here.

So, basically, you found a bug! I will try to correct it and send Nicholas the update before next week.
I'll post here as soon as I fix it, in case there is a work-around to share until the update goes live.

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 11:13:23 AM »
The issue was because the executable files were created in Windows 7.
I recreated them in Windows XP, which should allow them to work now in XP, 2000, Vista, 7, 8...
I've uploaded a preview version here http://goo.gl/NTMqH9.
Please download it and let me know if it works, before we update the link on RPGNow.
If there is anyone around with a working Win98 who would like to try it as well, and report any findings here, it would be really useful.
Thanks

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 02:20:07 PM »
Wow.  Error message posted on May 7, fix posted on May 10th!  That's what I call good service!  Thank you very much.  :wave: