Author Topic: Lycanthropy flaw  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Finwe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Lycanthropy flaw
« on: October 30, 2015, 05:05:42 PM »
Hello. one of my players has a special flaw "lycanthropy". He has chosen werewolf; according to the manual it is invulnerable to non-magical weapons. This makes it potentially invulnerable in this state and can unbalance my campaign. What is your opinion? Thank you!

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Lycanthropy flaw
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 05:11:59 PM »
Remember that he will be an NPC when he turns as an uncontrollable wild animal that will destroy or eat anything. His invulnerability can be countered by the traditional silver and wolvesbane. I would rule this unplayable unless he will do anything possible to prevent hurting anyone. Once in wolf form he is unpredictable and allies do not count as friends. His own party will have to learn how to contain him or hunt him down.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Finwe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 05:16:42 PM »
With "control lycanthropy" hability he can completely control the lycanthropy and have control over the beast. ie that he could use the powers of the werewolf with his human mind!

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »
If this is from RMFRP Character Law, it says "this is an uncontrollable, psychotic type of lycanthropy. While you are in your animal form, you have a bestial desire to kill and destroy." That seems better balanced than the RMSS version which merely says -50 to all attempts to control it.

The RMFRP version I would treat as an NPC while in beast form, I would not even tell the other players right away that the thing attacking them is their fellow PC. I might tell them his bedroll has been shredded and there are signs he may have been dragged away.

The RMSS version is tougher. Simple answer is that I would not allow it. But if I did, I would spin plot around it very quickly. This is a flaw, not a talent, so it should be disadvantageous to the player. If they make it a net advantage, you are being too generous. So...  who infected him with lycanthropy, and what are their motives? How do other lycanthropes feel about having the PC running around? Is he infringing on their territory? Disrupting their plans? Making them look bad? Did they cut him loose to serve some purpose? Do the greater lycanthropes (or the ones controlling them) have the ability to control him?

In either case, I would have the townsfolk in a tizzy as soon as they suspect, coming after him with pitchforks and torches -- but only in daylight when he's in human form. At night they stay in their homes and bar the doors and windows. If he causes any significant slaughter, I would have hunters hired to track him, with suitable weapons and knowledge. I would probably have someone oblivious try to hire the party to "hunt the terrible beast" and give them some of the info, as a warning to him.

And then I would have a way for him to quest for a cure (which would result in some replacement flaw, loss of a balancing talent, or some other cost; you don't get rid of flaws for free).
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 05:27:30 PM »
Control Lycanthropy gives a chance of when to turn and being able to control the beast. The flaw gives a -50 to control in addition to the normal penalties of the condition. In addition you are the one that controls the difficulty of this control which can increase in especially stressful situations and is a constant roll based on changing circumstances. As a greater flaw I would treat this very harshly upon the PC to show the unpredictable nature of this flaw.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Finwe

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 02:25:33 AM »
Thank you very much!

Offline mtpnj

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 08:55:22 PM »
In both the old creatures and treasures and the new creatures and monsters under the shapechanger entry, penalties and bonuses for control are set forth.  Once combat starts it is almost a guarantee the character will eventually fail a roll.  For example seeing a friend wounded is a 25 penalty.  penalties are cumulative so multiple friends injured adds up.  The 50 penalty for control is easy to understand reviewing that chart and writeup after chart.  To maintain complete control the roll would have to be 150.  At 100 it is partial control.  All the penalties would apply so once turned maintaining complete control with same penalties is 50 harder.