Author Topic: Kulthea DEM (Digital Elevation Map) ?  (Read 8394 times)

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Kulthea DEM (Digital Elevation Map) ?
« on: November 21, 2015, 05:54:26 AM »
Hi!

since i am working on a fractal renderer (such as this below),
i would like to ask if this is of any interrest to someone,
if shadow worlds dems were available,
and which programs/editors should be targeted.

i imagine this could grow to be like the middle-earth dem project ... http://www.me-dem.org/
I'd swallow cthulhu whole, with sushi and soy-sauce.

Currently: [BME] [FitD]
Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
Re: Kulthea DEM (Digital Elevation Map) ?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 07:17:03 AM »
I was actually thinking of something like this last night coincidently. I did think it was a little too grand for my skills though. I can't see your attachment yet because I think a mod has to authorise it first.

I use Vue Complete & World Machine for my location shots (although World Machine is a recent addition and isn't featured in any of the images below) and Poser for the people.

From smaller locations:

To larger vistas:

...so yes, DEMs would be useful. :)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 09:08:01 AM »
I made this Emer map in Photoshop but DEMs had crossed my mind for an updated Jaiman map.

Detail:

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »
Your attached map is available to view now and I can see you're talking of doing a global map as opposed to doing smaller areas. Are you able to control the features of the continents or are you limited to what the fractal dictates?

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 06:04:07 PM »
Your attached map is available to view now and I can see you're talking of doing a global map as opposed to doing smaller areas. Are you able to control the features of the continents or are you limited to what the fractal dictates?

actually what you see on the screenshot is the web-view app (done in leafletjs),
with some java on the web-server taking DEM and ColorRamp from the fractal code.

so basically with the proper reader, any DEM data could be formatted like this.

one could also produce "prerendered" tiles for a static online viewer (like most mapviewer do),
all that is needed is the tile graphics copped into the right size (256x256) and zoom level.

to produce the actual DEM from "artwork" maps is a little bit more serious work.

i have previously done work for a "Neverwinter-Nights 2" server digitizing the FR Moonsea into playable maps,
using a combination of DEM and fractal algorithms (brownian motion and perlin noise).

maybe we should start with the emer map of yours to produce a sample DEM and see where this leads us?

T.

Legacy: [d6] [Genesys] [ArsMagicka] [MERP] [HARP] [Ubiquity] [d20] [WoD] [SR] [WHFRP] [WOIN/O.L.D.] [RM2/C]

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 08:18:10 PM »
my algorithms have digitized your detail picture into this (W=water, c=coast/river, _=land):
Code: [Select]
____________________________________________ccWc_____________cWWWWWWWWWWWWc________ccWWWWcccccWc_________________________cccW
_____________________________________________ccc____________ccccWWWWWWWWWWcccc_______ccWWWWWWWWc___________________________cW
____________________________________________cccc____________cc_ccWWWWWWWWWWWWccc______cccWWWWWWc_________________________cccW
___________________________________________ccc__________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWccWcc______cWWWWWWc________________________ccccW
________________________________________c_cccc__________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWcc_____cWWWWWWcc__________________________cc
________________________________________cccc___________________ccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWc___ccWWWWWWWWc___________________________c
________________________________________cc______________________ccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWccccWWWWWWWWWWc___________________________
________________________________________ccc______________________ccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWccWWWWWWWWWWcc___________________________
_________________________________________cc_______________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWc____________________________
_________________________________________cc______________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWcc___________________________
_________________________________________cc______________________ccccccWcWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWcc__________________________
________________________________________c_c___________________________ccccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWccc________________________
________________________________________ccc______________________________ccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWcccccc_____________________
________________________________________ccc_______________________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWcc_____________________
________________________________________cc_______________________________ccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWc______________________
_______________________________________ccc_______________________________ccWWWWWWWcccccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWcc_____________________
_______________________________________cc________________________________cWWWWWWWc____ccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWc____________________
________________________________________c_________________________________cWWWWWWc_____ccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWcc___________________
_____________________________________cccc_________________________________cWWWWWcc______cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWc____________________
_____________________________________c_cc________________________________cccccWccc______cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWc____________________
_____________________________________c__c____________________________________cccccc_____cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWcc___________________
____________________________________cc__c________________________________________cWc___cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWccc_________________
___________________________________cc___cc_______________________________________cWc_cccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWc_________________
___________________________________c_____cccc___________________________________cWWWccWWWcWWWWWWccccccWWWWWcc__cc____________
___________________________________cc______c____________________________________ccWWWWccc_ccWWWWc_____ccccWWccccc____________
___________________________________c_______ccc___________________________________cWWWWc____cWWWWc________ccWWWWcc____________
___________________________________c________cc___________________________________ccWWWc___ccWWWWccc_______cWWWWc__c__________
cc____________________________ccc_cc________cc_____________________________________ccWccccccWWWWWWc_______ccWWWccccc_________
ccccc_______________________ccccccc_________c_______________________________________ccccccccWWWWWWWcc_____cWWWWWWWWcc________
_cc_cc____________________ccc_______________cc_____________________________________________cWWWWWWWWc____cWWWWWWWWWWWccc_____
_____cc___________________cc________________cc_____________________________________________ccWWWWWWWccc__cWWWWWWWWWWWccc_____
______cc__________________cc________________cc_____________________________________________ccWWWWWWcccccccWWWWWWWWWWWc_______
______ccc_________________c_________________cc______________________________________________cWWccccc__cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWcc______
______cccccc_____________cc_________________cccccc___________________________________________ccc_cc___ccccccccWWWWWWWcc______
_________ccc____________cc_______________________c___________________________________________c___cc____ccc___ccWWWcccWWc_____
_________cccc__________cc________________________ccc__________________________________________________________cWcc_ccWWcc____
____________cc_______ccc_________________________ccc_________________________________________________________cWWcc__ccWWc____
_____________c__cc__ccc___________________________cc__________________________________________________________ccc_____ccc____
_____________ccccccccc__________________________ccc__________________________________________________________________________
_________________cc_cc__________________________c____________________________________________________________________________
___________________cc__________________________cc____________________________________________________________________________
____________cccc_ccc__________________________cc_____________________________________________________________________________
___________ccc_ccc___________________________cc______________________________________________________________________________
___________c_________________________________cc__cccc________________________________________________________________________
_________cc______________________________________c__cc_______________________________________________________________________
_______cccc_________________________________________cc_______________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________cc______________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________cc_____________________________________________________________________
_____________________________________________________ccc_____________________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________c_cc_____________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________ccc____________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________c____________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________cc_______________________________________________________ccccccc____cc
_______cc______________________________________________cc_______________________________________________________cWWWWWccccccW
_______c________________________________________________c_______________________________________________________cWWWWWWWWWWWW
_______cc______________________________________________cc_______________________________________________________cWWWWWWWWWWWW
______ccc______________________________________________________________________________________________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWW
ccccc_c________________________________________________________________________________________________________ccWWWWWWWWWWWW
c___ccc________________________________________________________________________________________________________ccWWWWWWWWWWWW
____cc__________________________________________________________________________________________________________cWWWWWWWWWWWW
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ccWWWWWWWWWWWW
___________________________________________________________________________________________________cc__________cWWWWWWWWWWWWW
__________________________________________________________________________________________________ccWc_________ccWWWWWWWWWWWW
_________________________________________________________________________________________________ccWcc_____c__ccWWWWWWWWWWWWW
_________________________________________________________________________________________________cWWc_ccccccccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
______________________________________________________________________________________________c_ccWWWcccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
______________________________________________________________________________________________cccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
____________________________________________________________________________________________cccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
____________________________________________________________________________________________ccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
_____________________________________________________________________________________________ccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
______________________________________________________________________________________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
______________________________________________________________________________________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
_______________________________________________________________________________________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
_______________________________________________________________________________________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
________________________________________________________________________________________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
________________________________________________________________________________________________ccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
_________________________________________________________________________________________________ccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
_________________________________________________________________________________________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
__________________________________________________________________________________________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
__________________________________________________________________________________________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
_________________________________________________________________________________________________ccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
_________________________________________________________________________________________________cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
_________________________________________________________________________________________________cWWccccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
_______________________cccc______________________________________________________________________cWcc__cccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
______________________c___cc_____________________________________________________________________cWc_____cccWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
___________________________c_____________________________________________________________________cWc_______cWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

whats much harder is to derive the elevation from the image ...

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 09:18:56 PM »
Oooh, I don't think your last message came out correctly. : :o

I wasn't suggesting using my images to crate the DEMs - I was just showing you what I would use DEMs for.

I will have to look at some of the books to see if any of the continent maps have contour lines. I know there are some of the smaller regional maps would have some though. A problem with the previous maps was the fact that they made these huge mountain ranges look like they were one large ridge instead of showing the clusters that would make them up - this is a huge continent larger than the US I believe and you can see how their mountain ranges are made up of multiple mountains wide an dI tried to get that same look to Emer. The old maps did look awesome though, they were well rendered and they were hand painted too! :)

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 03:58:37 AM »
Oooh, I don't think your last message came out correctly. : :o

I wasn't suggesting using my images to crate the DEMs - I was just showing you what I would use DEMs for.

it was only to show some visualization of parts of the technology (text based).

T.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 04:45:45 AM »
hmm ... but i could use the help of an graphic artist.

one way to create a dem base is to convert rgb values based on rules.

lets say: someone draws a map (256x256) with the following properties:

* any predominately blue to be converted to water dem (R<B && G<B)
* any predominately green to be converted to grass/hill dem (R<G && B<G)
* any predominately red to be converted to mountain dem (G<R && B<R)
* any predominately yellow to be converted to river dem (R==G && G>B)

based on these hints i could fractally upscale this to a 4081x4081 dem.

if i had the exact geographic coordinates of the 256px tile,
the resulting upscale dems could be almost seamless.

T.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 04:55:19 AM »
maybe i start with something simple, like the map of "vog mur" ?

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 08:06:36 PM »
That sounds good - do you have a copy of that map or would you like me to colour the map first?

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 10:02:46 AM »
That sounds good - do you have a copy of that map or would you like me to colour the map first?

i think that i have a (almost-hires) pdf version,
which TKA had done in Freehand from the old days of his freebies.

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 12:51:58 PM »
progress report #1

color demd the map:

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 01:17:45 PM »
progress report #2:
convert to heightmap

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 01:18:21 PM »
progress report #3
imported into wilbur

Offline terefang

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 02:41:52 AM »
progress report #4 (and final)
oversampling with additional blur and multi-fractal noise gives this
(exported from wilbur)

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 09:02:09 AM »
...eagerly awaits the approval of the attachment...

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 01:25:44 PM »
Approved. ;D
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline DragonReborn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Bladestorm Tabletop
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 06:28:47 AM »
Drool......

I seriously admire these undertakings and skills involved. It would be great to have maps like these available for the existing Shadow World modules. Maybe as paid downloads at the onebookshelf sites?

This is the best stuff to freely create hand outs. Players looove hand outs.
Sebastian Klapdor
MX Bladestorm Dev
=========================================================
MX Homepage http://www.bladestorm.mx
facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BladestormTabletop
=========================================================

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 05:26:44 PM »
I was hoping that the end result would be smoother and a lot less stepped.

Can the noise texture be layered with another larger texture to break up the even distribution?

I went to look in my archives for the Terry's Vog Mur map and I commend you on the tracing - that map was incredibly low-res.  :o