Author Topic: How do you read spell projection from RoCo II?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How do you read spell projection from RoCo II?
« on: March 07, 2016, 06:10:09 AM »
The duel of wizards part i understand partly.

But the first thing written about recharging special power items! Can a magician charge a staff with fire bolts with this skill or just put power points into an item?
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How do you read spell projection from RoCo II?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 08:53:52 PM »
I Dropped that skill, personally.

The dueling part, I personally feel, was poorly written, a it really just ends up being the Caster with the most Power points wins.

The Channeling skill seems to work just fine for both Ideas.

Could easily be used to attempt to "Burn" each other out with a contest of "Power" and "control"

And it can be easily adapted to recharging a magic Item.

I don't think the skill was intended to "Charge" a magic item with  a specific Spell, Just with power points. If you want to Create a magic Item with the power of a specific spell, or add a power to an already created magic item.. there are already plenty of Rules/Spells to cover the creation of magic items.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 09:12:06 AM »
I read it like that as well.
I also wondered about the duel idea in it... As you say.. the power point stronger of the two will always win!

And tbh I would like a easier way then alchemy to charge items. To put a lightning bolt into a staff you require a lvl 15+ alchemist.
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 12:23:06 PM »
There are a few other classes that can accomplish similar feats in different ways, Such as the Magus... but I personally would make "Making" Magic Items easier. Otherwise you would/should have a World overflowing with people who make them and sell them.

Charging an Item... is a different matter. If you already have a wand of lightning bolts, and it is low on "charges"... Like I said, You could use channeling as a way to "recharge" the item.

I would base the difficulty of the channeling attempt based on the Level of the spell.... Like a -5 per level of the spell, and then follow the basic rules for channeling. 1 charge on the staff (if it is one charge to activate the effect) is equal to the power points necessary to cast the spell... So if the caster attempting to recharge the spell  has 5 ranks in Channeling... then for every 10 power points he puts into the channeling attempt, only 2.5 are actually transferred on a successful attempt.

If the Attempt fails. Make a breakage check for the item to see if it survived the attempt. A critical failure causes a chance of Channeling burnout and destruction of the item.
D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 04:51:08 PM »
We also use Power Projection and Channeling.

Wands-easy
Rods-light
Staves-medium
Daily Items-hard

% result indicates pp successfully charged. If a Cleric is hired to charge a 2nd level wand, he charges 4bp per pp, is paid to channel  10pp, then gets 80% result on mnv, 8pp, or four charges result. It takes pp's equal to an items attack level per charge .
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.