Author Topic: Levitation Spell  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
Levitation Spell
« on: March 11, 2016, 03:21:49 PM »
I skimmed through the core books and I am unable to find a spell like this. Does this spell currently not exist in HARP or is it under a different name?
I know there is "Float" in the cantrips section of College of Magics but it is only for floating on water.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Levitation Spell
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 09:40:02 PM »
In many games Levitation effects end up being insignificantly different from flight.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 02:44:14 AM »
The Fly spell covers the territory.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 11:22:33 AM »
The Fly spell covers the territory.

Best wishes,
Nicholas

Do you know the parameters that were used in creation of the fly spell?

I'll run it through my spell creator PDF and maybe I'll get lucky and hit the mark with the cost.

I am basically trying to create something like a fly spell but does not cover movement, where the caster or target would be required to provide their own momentum.

OTOH I am also looking at a Feather fall spell...So far I am thinking Reduce for the action aspect and Body for the object aspect of the spell. There is also Mass and it sounds like it is required for changing the mass of any object. But in this case would not the Body aspect cover the same thing?

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »
This is what I came up with for the fly spell:
Action Aspects: Levitate and Move
Object Aspects: Body and Force

I can hit a base PP cost of 4 exactly for the spell with the other same parameters. So are those correct?

For the Feather Fall type spell I am thinking:
Action Aspect: Reduce
Object Aspects: Body and Mass

What do you think?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 06:34:06 AM »
Levitate, Move and Body for Fly spell

Landing is Levitate and Body, which is essentially Feather Fall already.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 04:57:57 PM »
I am looking for a spell that basically makes the body lighter.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 06:53:22 PM »
I also came up with a cantrip I call Lighten Body.
It is cast on self and has a duration of 5 rounds per rank.
The cantrip lightens the body to almost nothing.

I used Reduce for the Action Aspect and Body then Mass for the Object aspect. Those along with the spell parameters of normal casting on self and the duration of 5 per rank only ended up costing 2 DP's so I made it into a cantrip which made it cost 1DP with the reduction.

I was unable to find the list of guidelines for cantrip creation so I am not sure if this will work as a cantrip.
I did look and see that there are no cantrips with this level of duration. So I may increase this to a spell though it will only cost 2 DP's base.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 04:05:13 AM »
There is a Levitation spell in the Codex, I think, which as a book, however, is not canon. The spell in there costs 8 PPs, making it more expensive than the Fly spell and therefore completely senseless to learn.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 08:04:43 AM »
The Codex was a perfectly valid book in the last iteration of HARP. As things are being re-balanced in this iteration, I would not be surprised to see spell costs changed and put into a new book. I do not know if the Codex spells and professions were moved to HARP Fantasy's College of Magics because I currently do not own that in either PDF or solid form.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 12:04:27 PM »
The Codex was a perfectly valid book in the last iteration of HARP. As things are being re-balanced in this iteration, I would not be surprised to see spell costs changed and put into a new book. I do not know if the Codex spells and professions were moved to HARP Fantasy's College of Magics because I currently do not own that in either PDF or solid form.

The codex has not been updated to the new scheme of things. So it is somewhat unbalanced compared to the current version of HARP.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 11:29:03 AM »
There is a Levitation spell in the Codex, I think, which as a book, however, is not canon. The spell in there costs 8 PPs, making it more expensive than the Fly spell and therefore completely senseless to learn.

I didn't develop a levitation spell. I know of the things in the codex and I seriously think that even for that book a levitation spell should cost less than a fly spell. I did develop the Light body spell which only costs 2 PP's for the base spell, and 4 PP's for use as a blood talent/skill (which was my primary reason for creating this for a monk PC). I could have made it a cantrip and lowered the cost down to one PP but it has a duration of 5 rounds per rank so I figured that fell out of bounds for cantrips. I have redeveloped some of the spells in the Codex using my spell creator PDF that I placed in the vault. The costs are pretty close to being the same with a few being higher and some being lower to the original PP cost.