Author Topic: Running The Defense of Marnockham and Island of the Mist  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Charlie Four

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Running The Defense of Marnockham and Island of the Mist
« on: March 15, 2016, 05:36:17 PM »
I was thinking of using these two adventures published here and here on the Guild Companion to introduce some friends to RPGs with some adjustments of my own.
I don't know how many players I'll have, so I'm asking, assuming I only have 2 players or 3, which adjustsments should I make for the 1st one? I'm thinking giving them lvl 3 players and reducing the amounts of goblins on the first adventure to about 20 on the invasion.

As for the Island of the Mist, I'm worried about both the Necromancer and the demon destroying them, but since I'm going to use pregens I guess they could get used to being wiped out on an RPG game. :)

Anyway, any advice on running adventures for new players? Any adventure specific advise on running these, maybe which characters should I create? I'm thinking a cleric it's a must, especially for the 2nd aventure.
Or maybe there's one adventure on the Guild Adventurer magazine that I can run instead?

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
Re: Running The Defense of Marnockham and Island of the Mist
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 02:19:09 AM »
I have run both. Both adventures are scalable to fit your group. I think Island in the Mist is a better choice for new players because it has lots of chances to use more of the system than in the Defense of Monockham. I ended up running Island in the Mist at Gencon last year and  the first day I think I had 3 players but I had 5 and 6 on the other two days. It can be difficult for only 3 players at level 3 as I all the pregens I developed were at 5th level. Those characters are in the vault under HARP in the character sheets section.
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline Charlie Four

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 04:52:22 AM »
Thanks for your advice and the sheets!
By the way, I realized Island uses more of the system, but that's why I'm a little worried that it might use too much since it's new people who have never played tabletop rpgs. That's why I thought to make some sort of Adventure Path starting with Defense of Marocknham, then Island of the Mist and finally maybe Vampire's Barrow, the whole thing seems to tie up nicely. I was even thinking of connecting them somehow. This is just to show them the game and the system and do some warm up as a GM(I haven't done it in 10 years) and if they like it(and that's a big 'if', I know), start a campaign on Cyradon.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 01:43:17 PM »
Good Luck with it all and I hope you are able to get some new people into role playing and especially into HARP!
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!