Author Topic: Dice superstitions  (Read 3189 times)

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Dice superstitions
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
I've got my RM dice, too. Ten siders. Clear. One purple and one green. Purple is usually tens. That set seems to know if you need high or low rolls and produces accordingly. I have used them for other games, and they work well, there, too.

One habit I picked up some years back was using a d6 and a d10 instead of a d20 for D&D. That was common practice with one group I played with, and it just stuck. 1-3 is zero, 4-6 is add 10 to the roll of the d10.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Sweetleaf

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 03:51:31 PM »
Dice are dice.  They're just lumps of plastic/metal/stone with numbers on.  I discarded one previously because it was broken. It was a plastic D20 that rolled an inordinate number of 20's.  It was one of the mass-manufactured dice that had been tumbled and was probably slightly mis-shapen, which let it land that way, so it was out with the bad.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2016, 09:56:49 AM »
I'm not sure I'd call it a superstition, but I have used a black and a red, with black for 10s, for GMing since the 80s when RM1 came out.

The reason I wouldn't call it a superstition is because my only reason for it is so you can always tell which rolls are the GM's.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula