Author Topic: Silth and languages from culture  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Silth and languages from culture
« on: October 08, 2016, 09:43:33 PM »
I have read a bit on the Tintimar setting, but I don't think I'll be using it for my Science Fantasy series. Partially because the first player to make a character made him a Silth. As every SF culture has Species Tongue S6/W6, and other species language S4/W3, and Silth have 2 species tongues, I'm wondering how to work out the character's species language. I do remember my friend taking the Netrunner training package, and if I recall correctly the profession of the character is Soldier. How would you work that? Thanks.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Silth and languages from culture
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 03:51:37 AM »
Actually you give them Highspeech and Warspeech. The culture should read "other own species language".

If using the Tintamar setting, you as GM need to decide what sort of campaign you intend to run and that determines which species may be PCs. Silth will rarely be good choices for PCs in a Tintamar-based game.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 10:00:15 AM »
Actually you give them Highspeech and Warspeech. The culture should read "other own species language".

All cultures are supposed to say that in SF? I guess it wouldn't be the first time in SF something didn't say what it means correctly. Having to actually learn the language of another species does make sense in a Sci Fi setting.

The kind of series I'm running will use elements from Spelljammer that I can work in easily--not having any of the materials from that D&D setting--and move on from there.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 11:41:42 AM »

All cultures are supposed to say that in SF? I guess it wouldn't be the first time in SF something didn't say what it means correctly. Having to actually learn the language of another species does make sense in a Sci Fi setting.

Yes.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 09:28:19 PM »
Another small problem then arises as only three--well, four, if you count human national/regional languages--have more than one species tongue.

Thus, my Gorsiva Frontier Fusion Scout Megacorp Mercenary is not as intended being given Gorresh and Anglic as starting languages.
#LotorAllura2024