Author Topic: GMs, how do you set the scene for your sessions?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
GMs, how do you set the scene for your sessions?
« on: November 04, 2016, 04:21:39 AM »
How do you set the scene for your players?

music? maps? movie clips? art? vivid descriptions of the surroundings?

Offline Druss_the_Legend

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: GMs, how do you set the scene for your sessions?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 04:45:47 AM »
skyrim soundtrack and elder scrolls IV soundtracks and many others are available on youtube and are great background music (I havent used them yet but I plan to in an upcoming session). I am currently playing online via roll20. this lends itself to certain elements during battles but i think id like to use selected music to set the scene for some encounters. For example the party are poised to explore a temple of cultists so I am hoping to use more music elements during that session both to set the scene and as ambiance in the background for certain rooms in the temple itself.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 06:55:57 AM »
A couple of us tried adding music to the background.  Of course, this was before internet LOL, so we used CD's and soundtracks we had.  Back then, it was too much work to shuffle discs and run a game.  In the middling years I would burn some CD's with the songs I wanted, but even that grew tiresome.  I prefer the distraction free, no background noise approach.   I use the mind's eye and try to use as descriptive language as I can (you may have noticed that I like to write  :) ), some hand drawn pictures, maybe some photos to show the landscape, then hand drawn maps as we move along through caves.... but as GM, I make the map based on the Cartography (RM2) skill and rolls of the PC.  That's led to some funny adventures and screwed up maps.  If you have little or no skill at making a map, what do you expect???   ;D

I once made a 3-D map of sorts with paper to allow the party track their progress down into a Dwarven Hearth inside a mountain.  I still have those maps and it's also where I sent the party against the Redd Skeleton that I've mentioned in other threads.

Lighting focused on the gaming surface, no TV, no cell phones.   That was the new distraction for  a while, but now some guys have their laptops and are web-surfing waiting for their turns and conversations are taking place over the price for a case of wine and the new iPhone that was just ordered, and the prices on Amazon for the books.  So I had to end that too.

Once everyone gets settled in, we have a good go and everyone is focused and invested in the game.  Some classical music in the background isn't bad due to the size of the gaming room at my house, but in smaller rooms, it's a distraction or too quiet to be noticed.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 11:09:34 AM »
Spotify has quite a few playlists with names like Dungeons and Dragons and Roleplaying; some of them are very good and go on for hours, so you don't need to shuffle cassettes anymore. I play Basil Poledouris's masterpiece soundtrack to Conan the Barbarian for the boss battles :)

'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 11:52:35 AM »
I agree more with Spectre on this one, we don't use any external scene setting music. We don't actually have a gaming room that we regularly use we rented a house for the last weekend session we had so none of us had even seen the place before we all gathered for the weekend.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 12:01:45 PM »
I have some Celtic/Nordic tracks that at like 10 hours long.  I have them low in the background but it is easy to talk over them.  Lighting is focused on the table, first so it is easy to read the sheets, but also so there is no question to what is happening on the field of play.

I forbid cell phone usage at the table.  If you need to take the call (and we all do from time to time)  I ask you step away.  This as stopped the electronic distractions.

I also give the players as much knowledge as their characters would have ahead of time.  There are recaps and at times precaps for the session.  The precap tells them their surroundings if it has changed significantly.

Maps are provided, if they are required.  But if they enter an area unknown to them it is their responsibility to map things (One of the characters is an amateur cartographer).

I provide pictures of the creatures/people they meet.

-BP

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 12:24:24 PM »
I'm like Spectre and Peter in that I don't really use mood music or anything for sessions. No phones, no computers, nothing like that. Like bpowell I like to give my players as much information as they'd have before things starts and do provide maps if it's something they'd have (based on setting, of course). Since I tend to game with a number of different settings/time periods mood music is tough. For my Western games I did use a spaghetti western CD and the Desperado album by The Eagles from time to time, and I've got a copy of an underground radio station from the Vietnam War (Dave Rabbit) which I used for my Vietnam games. But those were pretty focused, specific things.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 03:13:57 PM »
To add to the thread, when the GM started the music addition, he asked if we would like a theme song for our PCs, so I chose "Biko" by Peter Gabriel for my RM2 Cavalier.  He had a STR of 102, CON of 99, QU 0f 96.  It was the first RM character I ever made and it was purely beginner's luck.  I rolled insanely well on Temp and Potential stats that time and have never come close to matching those stats again.  But he was a large, foreboding character and the music suited him.  We used "theme music" for one session and the GM deemed it too much work.  Oh well.  I still like the song.

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 04:20:48 PM »
Music: World of warcraft OST are actually really really good setting music. There are music for all kinds of scenes!
Battle, mystic, drama etc!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline B Hanson

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Rolemasterblog
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 05:59:40 PM »
Pandora. Matt had some great channels for our gaming sessions but I like "If I had a Heart" channel, Fever Ray (theme for Vikings) that also has a lot of GoT.
www.RolemasterBlog.com
Other stuff I've written: https://tinyurl.com/yxrjjmzg
Files Uploaded: https://tinyurl.com/y47cfcrc

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2016, 09:32:38 AM »
Yup-yup.
Low music in the background(without any kind of vocals at all as it seems to snap players out of their Gaming Reveries for some reason), Handouts in the form of real, old coins; letters printed on scroll-like backgrounds and all rolled-up; you name it for tactile things!
Even tablets are great for NPC pics from online and saves printer ink!

Later on, maps turned into Dwarven Forge pieces - a very expensive habit, where I refuse to pay for s&h!(but Vancouver, B.C. had a bunch of old gamers selling their gear back in the day which helped...) - and even tinkered with the idea of a Projector Table and Wii-mote setup/Touch TV screens with the group hovered around unable to see through Fog of War, etc.

For awhile I was recreating the PCs in Neverwinter Nights from Bioware in the 90s/00s. 
I'd then recap previous sessions by also recreating the dungeons they were in with the Monsters (in actual breathing/hulking suspended animation, heh) that they'd blown through.
There was a GM-run avatar sprite I could sail through the areas, in a few minutes of recap and though a tonne of pre-work to do, I also got a kick out of it for remembering the previous session in greater detail!

I love it all, though, and the players' eyes tend to go all Dwarven Duck Dinner Fever whenever the GM brings out something to "play" with that is out of the ordinary.

We all have imaginations. 
Some less so than others, and using tonnes of different stuff helps other gamers get there and drums up hype for your campaigns ensuring they run into forever.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 02:07:25 PM »
Setting the atmosphere is a big thing for me. Though it is really hard to set it at a game store (where I play) it can be done if only through sounds. I believe in having background music for my games as I have done since the 80's. I have an expansive library of music that I use that I have either received from video game soundtracks on Steam or through Amazon (some free Prime albums also) amongst other sources. There really is not much prep involved as I pick the music and  just let it hang in the background. To note there have been times where I turn the music off for dramatic effect but forget to turn it on and the players usually let me know by asking where the music is...lol.
I do not usually hear the music to well because I run my games at the local game store every Friday and I usually put out a speaker that I connect to my laptop via bluetooth and keep it just loud enough for the players to hear it.
In the 80's I used straight hard rock or metal music but that can get distracting when someone gets into the music and starts singing along (then I start humming to it...lol) but I evolved out of that since then to instrumental only music. Many video game or movie sound tracks are the best. Another great one gaining popularity is what is commonly called trailer music. You can find loads of it on Amazon. One special mention for horror soundtracks is a band called Nox Arcana, it can really set the mood but there are also loads of other great horror soundtracks out there.
I also use a podcast soundboard to add some special effects every now and then to the game. Though this can take some time to prep it can be useful. It can also be comical as I have some special tracks and sounds for when characters do some off the wall things or not so smart things...
I also use a bit of narrative every now and then to help set the mood. I also tend to send some private messages via FB indicating some things each individual player may feel. At times, if I left the last session at a cliff hanger, I will pull each charcter aside and go through what their character may be feeling/experiencing.
When I game at home or in a more private atmosphere mood lighting (dimming it and colors) can help a great deal though I would only stick to a few basic colors. I have also used some scented candles in the past. No need to go for the expensive RPG specific scents as you can find plenty of scents that match specific scenes in the candle section at your local department store. According to science scent has the strongest ties to memory. So having a special scent that only shows up like once in a GREAT while can really add some tension to a dramatic scene.

A few last thoughts. Syrinscape is an interesting idea, but the costs can add up. Tabletop audio is an awesome website that has some good ambient music.
If you need help with what music is good for what setting just ask. If not just me I am sure there are others here who can point you in the right direction. I also know where to find some free medieval like music (one is Vindsvept).
When you game, game like you mean it! Game Hard!

Offline SilverFoot

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 05:28:56 PM »

We use a lot of Paizo flip mats for eye candy.
I generally start with some dramatic beginning to get them fired up. A good tavern fight is always a good start. for some reason our players are always looking for one even if its not in the story line, so I just give it to them as often as possible. Seems to keep them coming back for more.

Anyway...I'll usually toss them right in to something. Say theyve been unconscious and theyre waking up in a dark cell and theyre all naked.  Or theyre walking in a dark alley and they get attacked by thugs.
That first scene to me is always the funnest part of the game. I never did like movies that have those slow starters and take an hour just to get into the grit. 
The next scene we're playing will have them starting out running from a young dragon they just woke up who's looking for a big breakfast.

Offline vector

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »

I express my scenes through the use of interpretive dance.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 06:54:10 AM »

Sometimes you must in order to demonstrate a point.  Words aren't always enough.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 09:14:59 AM »

I want photos or even better a video.... Show us some inspiration!

Offline adanost

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Sailin' the waves
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 10:21:26 AM »

I want photos or even better a video.... Show us some inspiration!

I have envisioned something...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh244F_W9X4
Ricard
Devoted GM

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 11:01:16 AM »
Yep, yep, and yep.

I have always used background music (tons of classical music, movie soundtracks, etc.), but only instrumental.

I have also used televisions hooked up to a computer (for the larger screen) even in 80s.  No easy task to do back then before plug and play...  Of course, today this is much easier with HDMI cables...

I would use the tv screen so all the players could see the image files I made of maps and others.

My wife, while she was alive, was a very good artist, and I would use a easel board for showing her art.  I also used the easel board for sketching things that were easier to sketch than to try and describe using thousands of words (picture worth a thousand words thing).

Also, if it was something I could easily (and quickly) model using 3D ray tracing software, I would make a quick 3D model, render it, and put it on the tv screen for everyone to see.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Bruce

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +553/-553
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »
Yep, yep, and yep.

I have always used background music (tons of classical music, movie soundtracks, etc.), but only instrumental.

I have also used televisions hooked up to a computer (for the larger screen) even in 80s.  No easy task to do back then before plug and play...  Of course, today this is much easier with HDMI cables...

I would use the tv screen so all the players could see the image files I made of maps and others.

My wife, while she was alive, was a very good artist, and I would use a easel board for showing her art.  I also used the easel board for sketching things that were easier to sketch than to try and describe using thousands of words (picture worth a thousand words thing).

Also, if it was something I could easily (and quickly) model using 3D ray tracing software, I would make a quick 3D model, render it, and put it on the tv screen for everyone to see.

rmfr
I first started using my TV as a second screen with my laptop back in 2004. In fact I didn't have my first computer until about 1997. But I didn't think they had any real graphics programs back in the 80's, that along with the video output required to work for transmission to a 80's TV set. Out of curiosity how did you get it to work with old tech like that? I used to tinker with stuff back then a great deal and once connected my single speaker TV to my stereo system and was able to achieve 4 speaker stereo! I had to open the TV and splice the wires and such, but it was an definite improvement to the sound quality.

I myself have very limited artistic ability and dabble in 3d programs (like DAZ3D, it's free) but it takes so long to do a simple thing in that program because of my limited skill and not really having the time to mess with it to learn more. As far as hand drawing, I even have issues with just drawing on a dry erase mat. For some that ability is amazing to have, but others like me have to scour the internet for images that match what we are looking for (which does not always work).
As of right now I am debating on getting one of those fold out extra screens for my laptop so I can have an extra screen or two to show the players stuff at times, but I am worried about battery life at that point more than anything. As of right now my laptop does not make it through the entire night of gaming at the local game store even with a spare battery. I looked at the high capacity chargers and they are extremely expensive ($130 plus) but I did find a battery that has almost twice the mAh than the ones I currently have do so it will help.

Regardless, so far it seems the most common method of setting the scene is through music and a good description. There is one time in the past I can recall where the music helped a great deal to set the atmosphere of a horror game. In that game I was able to inspire creepy dreams in a few players, one even had a full blown nightmare. I consider that a win situation for me!....lol. That was back in the late 90's with a Halloween adventure using Rolemaster.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 11:51:33 AM »
I first started using my TV as a second screen with my laptop back in 2004. In fact I didn't have my first computer until about 1997. But I didn't think they had any real graphics programs back in the 80's, that along with the video output required to work for transmission to a 80's TV set. Out of curiosity how did you get it to work with old tech like that?

I built my first home computer in 1976.  It had only 1KB of RAM, and I had to save programs on casette tapes.  I actually built it inside a wooden box.  Wished I still had it.  That would be quite an antique to show off.

The second one I built had 4KB of RAM and still used casette tapes.  My third one had 8KB RAM and used the floppy disc (8-inch ones).  My fourth one was a big jump up to 64KB RAM and had two 5.25-inch mini floppy disc drives.  In 1980, I built my first multi-core computer with two 8088 processors, 640KB RAM, and a 20MB HDD.

By the time the first 80386 CPUs came out in 1985, you could find specialty computer cards at specialty electronics stores.  I found one video card that used coaxial cable (cable TV) to hook a PC up to a TV.  I remember it was quite expensive for back then (probably about $3000 in today's $), but don't remember the actual price.

Actually, 3D ray tracing programs have been around since the very early 80s.  Very expensive.  Very slow to render on home built PCs.  Back then, it took about 5 days just to render a 320×240 image at just 8bpp.

Today, for something simple, there is Bryce.  You can find boatloads of premade objects on the WWW that can be inserted and rendered in about 2 to 5 minutes (sometimes less than a minute), providing you want it simple.  For more complex renders, it can take upwards of several hours to make a hi-res render.  But I have to agree with you about Daz3D.  I only use it for more complex renders or animations.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.